Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

I think it's worth noting that the Steelers organization is pretty cancerous in general and has a much bigger spotlight than our market. 

I'm not saying AB wouldn't be a complete tool here, but I think his current attitude issues would diminish a bit here.  Worth it?  I dunno.  I do know that if we don't get Mariota some help we'll never know what he could've done.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

I won't really understand cutting Cyp(if we're actually going to) unless we're just going balls to the wall and trying to sign everyone we can/need all the cap space we can get.

If we’re resigning Vaccaro, why do we need a safety who can’t cover coming off a knee injury? Maybe they like Cruikshanks develop and want his role to expand as the backup safety and don’t really want a box safety like Cyprien.

• Like 1

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

If we’re resigning Vaccaro, why do we need a safety who can’t cover coming off a knee injury? Maybe they like Cruikshanks develop and want his role to expand as the backup safety and don’t really want a box safety like Cyprien.

As we saw last year, safety is a physical position and you can lose players there easily. Cyp isn't great but he's better than most safety depth you'll be able to find. He's overpaid, but if we don't need the extra cap space I don't see the point in cutting him. I'd much rather have a safety depth chart that looks like Byard/Vaccaro/Cruikshank/Cyprien than Cyprien being replaced by someone as bad as Lewis.

And as Pees showed with his use of Pollard, he knows how to get the most out of an in the box safety like Cyp. Both Byard and Vaccaro are capable of playing center field/coverage, so if either one of them go down, then Cyp can take over as the SS/box player.

Cruik isn't exactly known for his in the box ability, but maybe he develops.

Don’t mind moving on from Cyp we don’t need 3 safety’s if we are paying one of those safety’s good money to be a back up.

The plan is for Vaccaro to come back I’m more than happy to have both of them rather than watching Cyp not cover anyone. 

Byard and Vaccaro can both drop into coverage can both blitz and can both play near the LOS of any given play I’m down for that tandem over any tandem involving Cyp

31 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Don’t mind moving on from Cyp we don’t need 3 safety’s if we are paying one of those safety’s good money to be a back up.

The plan is for Vaccaro to come back I’m more than happy to have both of them rather than watching Cyp not cover anyone. 

Byard and Vaccaro can both drop into coverage can both blitz and can both play near the LOS of any given play I’m down for that tandem over any tandem involving Cyp

If I’m not mistaken Cruik was projected as being able to play CB & Safety maybe TN knows something we don’t 🤷🏽‍♂️ But I would really love for us to let Byard Rome around the field like Pees did wit Ed Reed. We played a lot of 2 deep safety & cover 3 

I'm not going to get my hopes up about AB coming here, because ultimately I think the Raiders will offer more.  For what it's worth though, I have complete faith in Vrabel and our locker room to be able to handle AB.  I think a smaller market, and a team with more of a family feel would really suit AB well. Vrabel knows how to handle different personality types, and our players last year all seemed to love being here and playing for him. One thing that's for damn sure is that AB would NEVER have to worry about Marcus calling him out to the media. AB's biggest beef is feeling like he's disrespected and not treated as an equal by Ben and the Steelers brass. That's just not going to happen here. It's not what our team is about.  Is there a possibility that AB would be a distraction here? Of course, but I think we're at a place in our Franchise right now where we can take a risk like this on the best WR in football and count on him falling in line with the culture that we've built.

• Like 1

My take on AB is I would take him. I know he’s acting like a dink but the things he’s ticked off about won’t happen here especially with Marcus.

With that said though I know Pit wants to trade him to the NFC so that helps Washington’s chances. Also if I were Pit I’d send him to Washington too, if he’s upset on a team that wins more than it loses with a HOF QB then he’s in for a treat with Colt McCoy 

45 minutes ago, 615finest said:

breakdown of AB contract if we trade for him

I tweeted those guys back about this... AB has clearly stated he wants anew deal with fresh guaranteed money. You trade for him and don’t give him that. He won’t be happy. So his current cap situation is completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

I think there’s a large dose of  homerism in this idea that AB will be happy here because of Vrabel/team chemistry. Let’s not forget that a WR walked out on the team last season because he thought he wasn’t being used right/respected. I don’t necessarily think the Titans did a great job handling that situation and that left a sizable hole in the WR group that was felt all season. 

AB goes against everything Vrabel and Robinson have said they want in a player. Sure Ben is a turd and probably disrespected AB. But AB has done his fair share of wild stuff too. I remember Ryan Clark telling a story about how after AB got his first big deal, he cussed out **** Lebeau and the entire DB group because they were pressing him during a DB WR drill in practice. Said ‘you don’t touch me like that, I’m the f***ing franchise’. Not to mention his habitual lateness to meetings and tendency to pout when he doesn’t get his numbers, even in a win. He walked out on his team in week 17 cuz they voted another wr mvp. You think Vrabel is gonna correct 9 years of diva attitude that mike tomLin allowed to fester. I don’t believe in Vrabel like that yet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I think there’s a large dose of  homerism in this idea that AB will be happy here because of Vrabel/team chemistry. Let’s not forget that a WR walked out on the team last season because he thought he wasn’t being used right/respected. I don’t necessarily think the Titans did a great job handling that situation and that left a sizable hole in the WR group that was felt all season. 

AB goes against everything Vrabel and Robinson have said they want in a player. Sure Ben is a turd and probably disrespected AB. But AB has done his fair share of wild stuff too. I remember Ryan Clark telling a story about how after AB got his first big deal, he cussed out **** Lebeau and the entire DB group because they were pressing him during a DB WR drill in practice. Said ‘you don’t touch me like that, I’m the f***ing franchise’. Not to mention his habitual lateness to meetings and tendency to pout when he doesn’t get his numbers, even in a win. He walked out on his team in week 17 cuz they voted another wr mvp. You think Vrabel is gonna correct 9 years of diva attitude that mike tomLin allowed to fester. I don’t believe in Vrabel like that yet.

Comparing Brown to Mathews is insane , It was clear Mathews wasn’t the same player he was in 2016 not to mention his injury woes in the off season. This team wasn’t going out of there way to draw up plays for Mathews , if they land brown almost every passing play will be built around that guy. 

As  far as “not being a Vrabel or JROB type of guy” I think you have to throw that out when an all pro player becomes available and your teams biggest weakness is WR . Players  like Brown don’t come around very often and adding him would absolutely open up our offense and would give Mariota the best safety net in the league . If this team wants to keep up with the colts and Texans they need to get better on offense and a guy like Brown instantly puts us as contenders , so enough with this he’s bad for the locker room . Maybe we need a player like him because this offense could use some much needed swag / confidence . 

Edited by FutureIsWhite
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

he'd also probably get tired of us passing the ball 20 times per game real quick