Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

6 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Comparing Brown to Mathews is insane , It was clear Mathews wasn’t the same player he was in 2016 not to mention his injury woes in the off season. This team wasn’t going out of there way to draw up plays for Mathews , if they land brown almost every passing play will be built around that guy. 

As  far as “not being a Vrabel or JROB type of guy” I think you have to throw that out when an all pro player becomes available and your teams biggest weakness is WR . Players  like Brown don’t come around very often and adding him would absolutely open up our offense and would give Mariota the best safety net in the league . If this team wants to keep up with the colts and Texans they need to get better on offense and a guy like Brown instantly puts us as contenders , so enough with this he’s bad for the locker room . Maybe we need a player like him because this offense could use some much needed swag / confidence . 

The players aren’t the same, but the situation was similar. And Mathews had a quiet history of diva attitude as well. 

What you’re implying is the same thing that led the Steelers to where they are now. It was cuz they had a different set of rules for AB that he grew to be such a diva. And it was because they had an even more lax set of rules for Big Ben that AB went AWOL. 

Nah... I’ll do without the diva whose exiting his prime and wants new guaranteed money. And walked out on his team the week of a crucial game. If AB was 26, maybe I’d be more willing, but when you factor age, new contract demands, the diva attitude, and the asking price of a high draft pick into the picture. I’m not biting. AB makes us better, but I don’t think he automatically makes us a premier AFC team. 

• Like 1

It all depends how serious the Raiders are about him. If they bow out I could see him going for a 3rd rounder. He's turning 31 and may need a new contract, so the only leverage the Steelers have would be volume of offers. My guess is no one is offering a first, because if they were the deal would be done. 

15 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

The players aren’t the same, but the situation was similar. And Mathews had a quiet history of diva attitude as well. 

What you’re implying is the same thing that led the Steelers to where they are now. It was cuz they had a different set of rules for AB that he grew to be such a diva. And it was because they had an even more lax set of rules for Big Ben that AB went AWOL. 

Nah... I’ll do without the diva whose exiting his prime and wants new guaranteed money. And walked out on his team the week of a crucial game. If AB was 26, maybe I’d be more willing, but when you factor age, new contract demands, the diva attitude, and the asking price of a high draft pick into the picture. I’m not biting. AB makes us better, but I don’t think he automatically makes us a premier AFC team. 

I understand your reasoning I really do , a 31 year old Diva reciever who’s gonna want a new contract and is gonna cost probably pick 19 in this years draft seems like a terrible idea on paper . However I’m looking at where this team is , this team isn’t some young team that just hit there stride , the Titans have been rebuilding since 2015 and we’re no further along then we were in 2016. I get we’ve had 3 9/7 seasons but isn’t the goal to win a Super Bowl? I know as a fan that’s what I want and this teams window is open now , does it suck that the Colts window is just opening as well? Yes of course,  so we have to try and compete with them and we’ve seen it time and time again that if we don’t keep up the scoring pace we’re gonna lose no matter how good our defense is . Our receivers had 7 touchdowns last year (worst in the league). You would have to think Brown would add at least 7 which would result in more wins . 

We  have a QB who’s not only an injury away from not getting extended but if he has a year like he had in 2017 or 2018 he won’t need to get injured to be gone . Sometimes you have to take chances to get to that next step and this is one of them , you might think this team wouldn’t be a contender but I refuse to believe that adding the leagues best receiver to a 9/7 teams who’s biggest weakness is WR wouldn’t add a few wins. This year is the biggest year since I remember for not only Mariota but for the organization in general, you do know that if Mariota has a bad year again or gets hurt we’re gonna be back to the drawing board at Qb and more then likely rebuilding again so give the guy more then Tate who’s gonna want 10 million a year regardless. 

Lastly as of right now this team is behind pats, chiefs,Colts, chargers, texans and possibly ravens in terms of power rankings . Adding Golden Tate and let’s say a d linemen at pick 19 doesn’t move the needle for this team that much , does it make us better ? Yea , but other teams especially the Colts who have more money and picks then we do will probably get better as well, Brown moves that needle and even if we only get 3 productive years out of him That’s better then any rookie reciever or veteran that’s available can do for the leagues worst WR group. 

Edited by FutureIsWhite
  • Like 1

I'm not saying I don't want Antonio Brown, especially if the price is right. But the more I think about it and try and keep myself rooted in the reality of what our offense is and always has been, I don't see a scenario in which he doesn't cause any sort of friction with the team and locker room. We just don't pass the ball and make it a priority to get the ball into our best weapons' hands (outside of Delanie, really). We're going to be obsessed with establishing the run and will marginalize his impact in the passing game.

There's just been too many offseasons where I somehow convince myself that "we're going to open up the passing game" and then refuse to do so for whatever reason. I've just resorted to the fact that it's never going to happen and we're going to continue running and running and running.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm not saying I don't want Antonio Brown, especially if the price is right. But the more I think about it and try and keep myself rooted in the reality of what our offense is and always has been, I don't see a scenario in which he doesn't cause any sort of friction with the team and locker room. We just don't pass the ball and make it a priority to get the ball into our best weapons' hands (outside of Delanie, really). We're going to be obsessed with establishing the run and will marginalize his impact in the passing game.

There's just been too many offseasons where I somehow convince myself that "we're going to open up the passing game" and then refuse to do so for whatever reason. I've just resorted to the fact that it's never going to happen and we're going to continue running and running and running.

Another good reason not to trade for him. I know I won’t be keeping him in my Fantasy keeper leagues if he’s traded here. His #s here would probably split in half.

Could it be possible that we don’t put the ball in the air as much because they know our WR group isn’t that good? I’m not saying the whole world would change if we got AB but I’m sure we would put the ball in the air more with AB and Davis. Just because we haven’t thrown it a lot in the past doesn’t mean we won’t. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Could it be possible that we don’t put the ball in the air as much because they know our WR group isn’t that good? I’m not saying the whole world would change if we got AB but I’m sure we would put the ball in the air more with AB and Davis. Just because we haven’t thrown it a lot in the past doesn’t mean we won’t. 

Very possible. How many more times can we keep throwing bombs to Taylor just to watch him drop everything?

Im not going to go nuts getting excited for the Titans trying to acquire him but if we added a WR of his caliber it really would do wonders for this offense.

Davis AB Walker Smith would be a fun group and would also help Henry and Lewis. 

I do wonder how interested the Titans really are in him though that we’ll probably never know until he’s ultimately moved 

14 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I mean the same thing could be said about the QB....

Edited by ttitansfan4life

14 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Pretty much this. Maybe we will never air it out. Or maybe, it’s a lot harder to air it out when you have Tajae Sharpe and Taywan Taylor as your second and third receivers and no viable tight end options. 

I don’t necessarily believe that adding AB would have us throwing it 50 times a game, but I’d like to believe that the staff is competent enough to adjust things if you’re throwing it to AB/CD/Delanie.

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I mean the same thing could be said about the QB....

It’s possible. But I’d also like to give said QB a chance. Instead of a revolving door of coordinators, bad receivers and inconsistent to bad running games.

You obviously can’t do anything about the coordinators, but if Henry has turned a corner and you go out and get the best receiver in the game, you have a chance to see him work with a legitimate supporting cast for the first time in his career. You know, instead of watching him try to throw game-winning touchdowns to the Nick Williams of the world.

There are teams out there with WR groups as bad or worse than ours who passed the ball 5+ more times a game than we did this year. It goes back to the Fisher days when we "couldn't find a way" to get Moss on the field with Britt.

We don't want to pass the ball. Even when Marcus showed how exciting our offense could be thru the air during 2016...we come back  the next year and run

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

There are teams out there with WR groups as bad or worse than ours who passed the ball 5+ more times a game than we did this year. It goes back to the Fisher days when we "couldn't find a way" to get Moss on the field with Britt.

We don't want to pass the ball. Even when Marcus showed how exciting our offense could be thru the air during 2016...we come back  the next year and run

Absolutely agree. And I think the best way for us to move the needle is to make our defense dominant. We don’t need some mediocre pass rushers, we need game wreckers. I would rather spend our capital investing in D-Line and OLB rather than dishing out a first round pick for AB, only to have him complain every game about not getting the ball enough. I do agree that we need someone opposite Corey Davis that is not named Taywan Taylor or Tajae Sharpe; however, I can’t justify trading for AB who would put up, at best, a 1000 yard 8 TD season with us.