Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

22 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

There are teams out there with WR groups as bad or worse than ours who passed the ball 5+ more times a game than we did this year.

Honestly, I don’t know how many teams actually had receiver groups that were as bad or worse than ours. I think you could make a pretty strong argument that we only had one WR or TE that would be a top four option in your average passing game.

But I’m also just choosing to give Vrabel the benefit of the doubt. Which could definitely be wrong.

• Like 1

I'm neutral on this AB thing, leaning a bit towards the get him side.  

I see the Moss comparisons, but there's really not much basis off that.  1st, we were Moss' 3rd team that year, and it's not like he had been blowing it up, and we just didn't know how to use him.  I know the Fisher quote was fun to poke fun of, but there was some truth behind it.  Moss and Britt were essentially playing the same role... run as fast as you can and throw it deep.  Moss was acquired to fill that role while Britt was out (after that monster game).  Moss offered little else at that point. 

But more importantly, Brown and Moss couldn't be more different in their approach to the game.  Moss was one of the greatest deep threats of all time... but he relied solely on the talent he was born with.  I loved Moss, but he was a child playing a game.  I remember him squirting refs with a sports bottle on the sideline... that's the image that sticks out.  But his work ethic was that of a child's.  He never aspired to be the greatest of all time... he just was.  Brown is the complete opposite, he is driven to be the greatest... his work ethic is apparently out of this world... and that will allow him to play at a high level longer than Moss was able to.  When his quickness starts to go, he will remain a top option.. He's a technician, can run every route, has great hands... he's just a complete receiver... inspite of his height.  Harrison played at a high level into his mid 30's... and barring a catastrophic injury to AB, he will as well.

Now, I do think our style of play doesn't mesh well with Brown.  We're just not the type of team that "airs" it out.  Can Smith adapt?   Possibly.  AB seems to be the type of receiver that fits Mariota's skill set to a T.  CD has shown growth, as well, and it's hard not to envision him taking off with Brown to take attention away.  Could they co-exist... that's the question, right?  It's likely Davis would be able to take that #1 role from Brown within a couple of years at most.  How would Brown handle that?

As far as volume, Brown needs 6.5 catches per game to keep that 100 catch projection.  If Davis were to get 5, that would put him at 80.  Go with another 4 to Walker (64 for the season)... and its not far fetched that even on a team that doesn't air it out like the Chiefs, there are enough balls to keep our core happy... that's 15 completions/game.  Considering everything, Mariota has averaged 18+ completions per game (includes all his games, even games he didn't start/finish, etc).  That's 18/28 per game.  Even a slight uptick, puts him at 22/33.  That still leaves 7 receptions for Lewis, Taylor, a 2nd TE.  

What holds me back a little is the value and personality fit.  Mariota is very different than Ben... so maybe the get along.  But how's Lewan going to feel when Brown pushes buttons?  I feel confident we could get at least a couple of elite seasons from Brown and a couple more of very good production.  But we'll be paying elite money for the length of it.  How good (close to near elite) are those subsequent seasons... is it anywhere near those cap hits?  

I think we're near a deep playoff run/SB contender team.  Brown is exactly what we need to take that step.  He opens up the offense... now defenses have to watch our for him and Davis... both players who are diverse and need to be accounted for to do different things.  Then you have Walker consistently putting pressure in the middle of the field, and leaves Henry with less men in the box to beat up on, and OL with less people to account for in protection/run blocking.  I'd be comforable putting up that foursome (AB, DC, Walker, Henry) against any 4some in the NFL.  

Couple that kinda talent on offense while returning every key piece of our top 10 defense, and I like our chances of making that deep playoff run this season.  Especially if he can be had for anything less than our 1st this year.  

• Like 1

Having said all that, I don't expect Brown to be a Titan... so I won't be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

I'm a Phillies phan... and expected to get Harper all offseason.  It would have been a major disappointment if they woulda whiffed on that one.  But that move (and Realmuto's) has to put them as one of the early favorites to make the WS.    I'd have the same expectations of the Titans if they land Brown and are able to keep our 1st rounder.

18 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Having said all that, I don't expect Brown to be a Titan... so I won't be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

I'm a Phillies phan... and expected to get Harper all offseason.  It would have been a major disappointment if they woulda whiffed on that one.  But that move (and Realmuto's) has to put them as one of the early favorites to make the WS.    I'd have the same expectations of the Titans if they land Brown and are able to keep our 1st rounder.

How disappointed are you that he wants to help bring a Championship to DC? Can’t believe Phi paid all that money for him to tank for the Nats 😂

22 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

How disappointed are you that he wants to help bring a Championship to DC? Can’t believe Phi paid all that money for him to tank for the Nats 😂

It must sting the Nats that he took 30M more for 3 seasons than they offered.  

The Phils weren't far away without signing him, but getting a star player (7th active OPS) entering his prime is a win.  Pair him with Realmuto in the middle of that lineup in that stadium... man, it's going to be a fun summer.  I hope I'm able to make it up to Philly this year.  

24 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

It must sting the Nats that he took 30M more for 3 seasons than they offered.  

The Phils weren't far away without signing him, but getting a star player (7th active OPS) entering his prime is a win.  Pair him with Realmuto in the middle of that lineup in that stadium... man, it's going to be a fun summer.  I hope I'm able to make it up to Philly this year.  

I live in Boston an every year friends and I do a NY trip and recently we have been trying to do 2 trips a year.

2 years ago did Baltimore last year did Toronto and now this year the goal is to do Philadelphia so I’m very glad Harper signed there.

Phillies come to Fenway too so I will also catch them here too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I've only done about 12 stadiums, but Fenway and PNC are real high on my bucket list. Red Sox fans travel well.  Every time I've seen them as an away team, they usually outnumber the home fans... whether it be in Baltimore or Arizona.  It's insane!

Sox should be going to PNC next year if it falls on the weekend I will definitely be making the trip 

With the franchise tags being placed on Clowney, Lawrence, Ford and it looks like Clark, that leaves Houston(supposed to be released), ZaDarius Smith, Fowler, Preston Smith, Ansah, Terrell Suggs, Anthony Barr, and Flowers as the top guys. 

Edited by ttitansfan4life