Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

28 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm starting to think they won't re-sign Vacarro.  

Could they look to land a "better" player in FA?
I'm a big fan of Adrian Amos. 

I'd also take LaMarcus Joyner or Tyrann Mathieu. 

Would hate losing Vaccaro. Such a tone setter

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mariota615TN said:

Colts in pursuit of Tyrell Williams. We better up our pass rush in a big way this off-season. 

I said it a few weeks ago don’t let week 17 out of our heads.

It was embarrassing that the Titans has to waive the white flag and settle for dropping into coverage hoping Luck would make a mistake.

Titans need to build a team that can get after QB without always having to blitz 

Its easier said than done but that’s the type of team I want the Titans to build defensively 

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Travis Haney with The Athletic wrote a good article on the Brown situation and even spoke with The Athletic reporter that covers Pitt about Brown

Basically it came down to this...Brown doesn't care about winning or playing for a big market. He has two priorities: money and stats.

Not what I really want on this team. Those personalities don't equate to championships, regardless of how great they are. And Brown is great.

I can't disagree with what you said.  Brown has an otherworldly work ethic... which I think will help him prolong his career and what's made him great thus far, even with less than ideal size/strength that elite WRs typically possess (Jones, Hopkins, Fitz, etc).

He is driven to be the best of all time... but I do understand that his drive is for himself.  I do think that as his career winds down, he'll care about winning a bit more... if only because it'll be a part of his legacy, and what could push him over the hump and maybe distinguish him from guys like Moss and Fitz.  But I don't think he'll ever be a team first guy.  That is definitely a concern.  It's 100% legit... and probably the main reason his market isn't what it should be (money and age are secondary). 

But he could help us win... he has the type of talent that can help this offense tremendously (not only for himself but for Davis, Walker, and Henry).  He also has the potential to blow team chemistry up.  That's the catch, right?  And why I wouldn't give a 1st.  But if they're good with a 2nd... and something next year (only a 1st if contingent on performance and team success)

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I'm starting to think they won't re-sign Vacarro.  

Could they look to land a "better" player in FA?
I'm a big fan of Adrian Amos. 

I'd also take LaMarcus Joyner or Tyrann Mathieu. 

I agree actually. However, I think it’s mainly because we’ll have a lot of money tied up into the safety position. A position that it’s obvious, the NFL doesn’t care about as much. Byard is getting top safety money and he’s well worth it. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we signed a cheap vet who competes with Cruikshank for the starting job. Can’t put a lot of money into that position. As much as I love Vacarro and duo with Byard, people have to look at from building a team standpoint. Would you rather give Vacarro a contract of say 7m a year or use that towards adding more elsewhere like say receiver and pass-rusher? Would you rather sign let’s say Tate and Z Smith or Vaccaro and Tate/Smith? Can’t see them handing out 3 contracts that will go well over 7m annually. Sure they have the cap but I think we’ll rollover more than we think. The Byard contract will be ridiculous. Conklin isn’t far away although I honestly wouldn’t pay him a huge contract anytime soon. Same goes with Mariota. Definitely something to think about.

I will say what’s funny about the whole AB trade rumors is we have yet to hear that the Titans are out of the AB sweepstakes.

A report was out this morning that the Raiders want OBJ over AB

Gruden supposedly big on Kyler Murray

If Oak is to make a trade to move up to 1 maybe that takes them out of the AB trade and maybe that leaves the Titans in the drivers seat?

I still don’t think he’s coming to Nashville but just a thought 

2 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I will say what’s funny about the whole AB trade rumors is we have yet to hear that the Titans are out of the AB sweepstakes.

A report was out this morning that the Raiders want OBJ over AB

Gruden supposedly big on Kyler Murray

If Oak is to make a trade to move up to 1 maybe that takes them out of the AB trade and maybe that leaves the Titans in the drivers seat?

I still don’t think he’s coming to Nashville but just a thought 

Nobody has sources outside of that building. 

39 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I can't disagree with what you said.  Brown has an otherworldly work ethic... which I think will help him prolong his career and what's made him great thus far, even with less than ideal size/strength that elite WRs typically possess (Jones, Hopkins, Fitz, etc).

He is driven to be the best of all time... but I do understand that his drive is for himself.  I do think that as his career winds down, he'll care about winning a bit more... if only because it'll be a part of his legacy, and what could push him over the hump and maybe distinguish him from guys like Moss and Fitz.  But I don't think he'll ever be a team first guy.  That is definitely a concern.  It's 100% legit... and probably the main reason his market isn't what it should be (money and age are secondary). 

But he could help us win... he has the type of talent that can help this offense tremendously (not only for himself but for Davis, Walker, and Henry).  He also has the potential to blow team chemistry up.  That's the catch, right?  And why I wouldn't give a 1st.  But if they're good with a 2nd... and something next year (only a 1st if contingent on performance and team success)

He'd definitely help us win...there's no doubt about that. I just don't know if you win a Super Bowl when your best player (which we would be) isn't a team-first guy. I could see him coming into his next team, being super positive at the beginning and winning a few games.. But once that inevitable 2-3 game skid comes....it's over

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I agree actually. However, I think it’s mainly because we’ll have a lot of money tied up into the safety position. A position that it’s obvious, the NFL doesn’t care about as much. Byard is getting top safety money and he’s well worth it. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we signed a cheap vet who competes with Cruikshank for the starting job. Can’t put a lot of money into that position. As much as I love Vacarro and duo with Byard, people have to look at from building a team standpoint. Would you rather give Vacarro a contract of say 7m a year or use that towards adding more elsewhere like say receiver and pass-rusher? Would you rather sign let’s say Tate and Z Smith or Vaccaro and Tate/Smith? Can’t see them handing out 3 contracts that will go well over 7m annually. Sure they have the cap but I think we’ll rollover more than we think. The Byard contract will be ridiculous. Conklin isn’t far away although I honestly wouldn’t pay him a huge contract anytime soon. Same goes with Mariota. Definitely something to think about.

This is a good point, and I actually think Cruikshank could be closer to being our starting SS than we realize.  As much as I loved having Vaccaro and want him back, it doesn't make a lot of sense to tie up so much money into our safety position with Byard's big extension on the horizon and a promising Cruikshank waiting in the wings. Not to mention the fact that the safety market is crazy good this year. If Vacarro prices himself out of range there's a ton of other great options out there to be had. Weddle as a bridge to Cruikshank could be interesting.

57 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

If we are going to walk away from Vaccaro, it better be because we’re signing Earl Thomas or Landon Collins.

It's a deep S group again.  And S contracts are still among the most team friendly int the NFL.  While average pass rushers are getting 10M+ AAV, the top safeties are barely cracking that 10M barrier.  Each of those guys you mentioned could be had for something along the lines of 4/40M.  Joyner had an off season, but he was a top target last year (although he probably can't play SS at all, and would force Byard closer to the LOS almost exclusively).  Amos is another young guy... and he could be a bigger commodity than Thomas.  That's quite an impressive foursome of S's available.

But there's a bunch of quality talent available in that mid range.  We should be able to get Vaccaro back, but we may be able to upgrade as well. 

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

He'd definitely help us win...there's no doubt about that. I just don't know if you win a Super Bowl when your best player (which we would be) isn't a team-first guy. I could see him coming into his next team, being super positive at the beginning and winning a few games.. But once that inevitable 2-3 game skid comes....it's over

Unless he's putting up 6/100 even in those losses.  But I get what you're saying.  Can a locker room led by Vrabel, Walker, Woodyard, and Lewan be strong enough to keep the outbursts in check (somewhat)?  We do have good team chemistry... and you definitely don't want anyone that will break that up.  Can Mariota and/or the backup withstand the onslaught from AB after a 2-3 reception game?  There are legit concerns.  And it's why I'm neutralish on the signing... and understand why some of you are hesitant (to say the least).

My only defense was against those trying to compare this potential acquisition to Moss'.  Other than both being selfish and talented, there is no comparison between the two at those respective times.