Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

If Ben slips away it'll be because of him just declining. Dude's dominated regardless of who lines up at WR, RB or OL. Brown, like every other WR that's come through Pittsburgh and done well(granted, Brown is on a different level than the likes of Sanders, Washington, Wallace, etc) is a hood ornament for that offense.

This tweet sums it up pretty well IMO:

That’s a pretty damn quality list of receivers though? Mike Wallace just put up a 1,000 yard season with Flacco in 2017. Nate’s the best receiver we’ve had since Mason. Emmanuel Sanders may be the most underrated receiver in football. A five-game sample size for Sammie Coates seems like the heart of the argument. Ben has been extremely lucky with his supporting cast at the skill positions. Though he admittedly had some terrible OLs pre-Munchak.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

That’s a pretty damn quality list of receivers though? Mike Wallace just put up a 1,000 yard season with Flacco in 2017. Nate’s the best receiver we’ve had since Mason. Emmanuel Sanders may be the most underrated receiver in football. A five-game sample size for Sammie Coates seems like the heart of the argument. Ben has been extremely lucky with his supporting cast at the skill positions. Though he admittedly had some terrible OLs pre-Munchak.

The point isn't that the receivers are bad. It's that they'll just plug someone else in and be perfectly fine.

Part of me thinks as someone mentioned before, AB would be miserable in our offense due to lack of targets. But another part of me thinks that if he is a good route runner he would get plenty of targets. I think that the reason Davis gets a lower amount of targets is because he is not a good route runner...half the time he acts like the ball isn't coming his way, when it actually is. Corey would thrive with Big Ben, Rodgers, Watson, or even Baker because those guys are masters of the off schedule throws. 

The only problem with persueing guys that played with those type of players is that it is hard to judge how much is them vs the QB's that are true playmakers. 

Marcus needs precise route runners, but if he is out of here after next year we need all of the weapons we can get to surround a young QB.

7 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The point isn't that the receivers are bad. It's that they'll just plug someone else in and be perfectly fine.

Or that they’ve just had an extraordinary run at receiver like we have at LT? They don’t have some crazy list of productive receivers that have failed elsewhere, they just seem to have a list of talented, high-level receivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Part of me thinks as someone mentioned before, AB would be miserable in our offense due to lack of targets. But another part of me thinks that if he is a good route runner he would get plenty of targets. I think that the reason Davis gets a lower amount of targets is because he is not a good route runner...half the time he acts like the ball isn't coming his way, when it actually is. Corey would thrive with Big Ben, Rodgers, Watson, or even Baker because those guys are masters of the off schedule throws. 

The only problem with persueing guys that played with those type of players is that it is hard to judge how much is them vs the QB's that are true playmakers. 

Marcus needs precise route runners, but if he is out of here after next year we need all of the weapons we can get to surround a young QB.

Davis is a good route runner I wouldn’t say he isn’t that’s 1 of his strong points his ability to separate, understanding leverage & how to stack a DB when they’re in his hip pocket, now him & mariota do lack chemistry at times & would like to see him do a better job breaking or rounding off the stim of his route. But F***k Brown no way I’m paying a WR 20 plus mill they’re not worth it. Again when was the last time an Elite WR won anything. Now I’ll trade the farm for a Mack or Donald or prime time Revis

Thoughts on Malik Jackson? Had a down year this year after registering 8 sacks and a pro bowl appearance last year. Apparently only played the 3T in Jacksonville, not sure what he did in Denver or if he has any versatility. I’m hearing the 2019 defensive line class is pretty deep as well.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:49 AM, TitanLegend said:

Someone else, maybe, if their run of finding high quality receivers keeps going, but anyone, no, they wouldn't be perfectly fine. Ward, Washington (who wasn't even that good in Pit IIRC), Wallace, Sanders, Bryant (for how long he was able to stay on the field), JuJu, and obviously AB. I might forget a couple of names too, but that's just about as great of a WR list you could find for any team in the league, in that time span.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Thoughts on Malik Jackson? Had a down year this year after registering 8 sacks and a pro bowl appearance last year. Apparently only played the 3T in Jacksonville, not sure what he did in Denver or if he has any versatility. I’m hearing the 2019 defensive line class is pretty deep as well.

Think he played some 5-tech in Denver, but I could be wrong. Anyway, would love to add him if the Jags cut him loose and we don't have to overpay.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:40 AM, TitanRedd said:

Davis is a good route runner I wouldn’t say he isn’t that’s 1 of his strong points his ability to separate, understanding leverage & how to stack a DB when they’re in his hip pocket, now him & mariota do lack chemistry at times & would like to see him do a better job breaking or rounding off the stim of his route. But F***k Brown no way I’m paying a WR 20 plus mill they’re not worth it. Again when was the last time an Elite WR won anything. Now I’ll trade the farm for a Mack or Donald or prime time Revis

Well, when was the last time Mack or Donald, or Watt or prime time Revis won it? FWIW, DT won it just a few years back. And those might not have been exactly elite, but the likes of Jennings in 2010, Cruz in 2011 or Boldin in 2012 were all pretty instrumental in their respective SB runs. Point is, like quarterbacks, or pass rushers or literally any other position in football, receivers can only go as far as their team goes. That doesn't take anything away from the value they add to an offense, especially the value of an elite one like Brown has been for so many years. Which is not to say that I am arguing trading for him, but to think that he wouldn't make this team instantly better (possible locker room distractions aside), is simply insane.

43 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

He played 5 tech in Denver & wolf played 3 tech

I’d be interested in giving him a look since it seems Jacksonville is gonna cut ties with him. Nice to hear that he has some versatility considering that it’s one of the biggest things Vrabel and Robinson are looking for. If he prices himself out of our range then we should look to the draft since the class is deep.

I would say generally speaking I am not for bringing in Brown, which I think has about .5% chance of happening. Just pointing out that he may be more productive than I and many others think.

As far as his route runnig abilities, I am basing my comments on the fact that way too many times the ball was there for him but he seemed to not expect it...so maybe he ran a good route but somehow just took himself out of the play thinking that the coverage was good and no way Marcus targets him. I certianly give Marcus a share of the blame because he either throws the ball on time or does a full on scramble, when the highest caliber QB's kind of side step or step up to buy another half second to allow the WR to finish the route. 

I think RG III is probably going to end up being one of my top targets for an upgraded backup QB this year. He had his best year as a pro with LaFleur as his QB coach in Washington, he looked great in Baltimore this last year, and his skillset is similar to Marcus, so there wouldn't really be any drop off at all to what we could do offensively if Marcus goes down. He's the exact type of backup QB that we've needed to pair with Marcus all along. After seeing how much he improved as a passer in Baltimore, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave Marcus some serious competition in camp too. It's Marcus' team this year no doubt about it, but I could see RG III being able to give our offense a shot in the arm that Gabbert and most other backup QBs just can't provide.

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

I think RG III is probably going to end up being one of my top targets for an upgraded backup QB this year. He had his best year as a pro with LaFleur as his QB coach in Washington, he looked great in Baltimore this last year, and his skillset is similar to Marcus, so there wouldn't really be any drop off at all to what we could do offensively if Marcus goes down. He's the exact type of backup QB that we've needed to pair with Marcus all along. After seeing how much he improved as a passer in Baltimore, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave Marcus some serious competition in camp too. It's Marcus' team this year no doubt about it, but I could see RG III being able to give our offense a shot in the arm that Gabbert and most other backup QBs just can't provide.

Having a very injury prone quarterback back up your very injury prone starting quarterback seems kind of silly to me.

Also, are you referring to the preseason? Cause otherwise I'm not sure what impression Griffin could've made in Baltimore since I'm not even sure he saw the field at all in the regular season.

9 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Well, when was the last time Mack or Donald, or Watt or prime time Revis won it? FWIW, DT won it just a few years back. And those might not have been exactly elite, but the likes of Jennings in 2010, Cruz in 2011 or Boldin in 2012 were all pretty instrumental in their respective SB runs. Point is, like quarterbacks, or pass rushers or literally any other position in football, receivers can only go as far as their team goes. That doesn't take anything away from the value they add to an offense, especially the value of an elite one like Brown has been for so many years. Which is not to say that I am arguing trading for him, but to think that he wouldn't make this team instantly better (possible locker room distractions aside), is simply insane.

That’s is true but you missed my point, I’m saying defense wins championship if I’m trading 1st rounds picks for a player, he’s got to be a QB or an elite defensive Talent that is a game changer. 1 thing about football, it’s won in the trenches & it’s about forcing turnovers. Oh & Revis won wit the Patriots when they beat Seattle.