2019 GB TEAM Needs

squire12

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

JAX needs to move a good deal of players to get in good cap situation. 

New OC Hackett was there last year and although he was on the other side of the ball, I think he could offer an insiders opinion on those guys

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That's fair.
I just don't like using the hypotheticals because too often they are unicorns.
Who is a real live Tier 2 FA  DL that fits the scheme, is available and wants to play for the Packers on a reasonable deal ?

JAX is gonna cut Malik Jackson for poor performance, is he a Tier 2 ? He was a Tier 1 last time around

https://overthecap.com/player/malik-jackson/29/

I would say that for sure Suh and Jarrett (probably tagged?) are the tier 1 FA DL. Maybe Richardson as well.

Then guys like Wilkerson, Peko?, McLendon, Shelton, Irving (issues), Gunter as maybe tier 2 guys that can come in and be role players.

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Using PFF Ranks:

Position Name Score Rank Position Name Score Rank
QB Rodgers 90 5 EDGE1 Perry 53 99
WR1 Adams 88 9 EDGE2 Fackrell 69 46
WR2 MVS 60 91 EDGE3 Gilbert 64 67
WR3 ESB 64 75 IDL1 Clark 91 9
RB Jones 81 12 IDL2 Daniels 71 60
TE1 Graham 59 49 IDL3 Lowry 74 45
TE2 Tonyan 61 46 LB1 Martinez 75 17
LT Bakhtiari 88 1 LB2 Burks 44 100
LG Taylor 64 26 CB1 King 60 97
C Linsley 74 6 CB2 Alexander 72 32
RG McCray 65 24 CB3 Jackson 60 93
RT Bulaga 75 20 CB4 Brown 49 100
        S1 Williams 63 68
        S2 Brice 51 87
        S3 Jones 62 71

Clearly we have a ton of needs on defense. Here's how I would address this team this offseason:

• Cut Daniels ($8.3), Tramon ($4.8), Crosby ($3.7) to save an additional $16.8 million giving GB ~$57 million in cap space (would rank 10th before other teams cut guys)
  • Sign TWO free agent safeties. That position is disgusting and needs a complete overhaul. We need vets there immediately. ($18million cap hit total)
  • Sign ONE free agent IDL. A tier 2 guy similar to WIlkerson signing. Find a better fit/player than Daniels.($7million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent EDGE. Ideally a tier 1 or tier 2 guy here. We can jettison Perry's contract after this year and can afford to pay a top EDGE guy ($13 million cap hit - will balloon in 2020)
  • Sign ONE free agent swing OL. ($5million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent WR. ($7million cap hit)

This leaves about $7million left. We probably need to find 4 new defensive starters in free agency this year to hope for a SB caliber defense.

Great post. Thank you. I like PFF in so much as it gives an indication, not necessarily the full picture but one of the best tools to give you a feel. What is interesting is that the O line by this played good. It would be nice to see what they had Bell rated at as that could affect that perception a bunch. That Grahman for his contract is really poor, as many have stated. That the edge was pitiful, again it would be nice to see how Matthews graded out here.

One thing I don't get is how come on the defence side of things that Daniels and Lowry are colour coded red when they have scores in the 70's and ranking from 45 to 60 while Jones is 62 score and rank 71 and is in the yellow?

I think putting red on Daniels pff score is a little dishonest. He had a 71 (above average). They grade 3-4 ends as IDL so there are really around 80 starting idl and another 60 guys getting snaps that qualify. Being 60th and Lowry 43rd means they are both above average and startable. Clark is a stud.Throw in Monty at 69 and Lancaster 77 DI 31 and you could argue our DL is really good and doesn’t need help.

Contrast this to wr (2 of the top 3 guys grading as bottom end 3s), TE (2 backups), edge (really only 1 guy worth playing in fack), S....

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Using PFF Ranks:

Position Name Score Rank Position Name Score Rank
QB Rodgers 90 5 EDGE1 Perry 53 99
WR1 Adams 88 9 EDGE2 Fackrell 69 46
WR2 MVS 60 91 EDGE3 Gilbert 64 67
WR3 ESB 64 75 IDL1 Clark 91 9
RB Jones 81 12 IDL2 Daniels 71 60
TE1 Graham 59 49 IDL3 Lowry 74 45
TE2 Tonyan 61 46 LB1 Martinez 75 17
LT Bakhtiari 88 1 LB2 Burks 44 100
LG Taylor 64 26 CB1 King 60 97
C Linsley 74 6 CB2 Alexander 72 32
RG McCray 65 24 CB3 Jackson 60 93
RT Bulaga 75 20 CB4 Brown 49 100
        S1 Williams 63 68
        S2 Brice 51 87
        S3 Jones 62 71

Clearly we have a ton of needs on defense. Here's how I would address this team this offseason:

• Cut Daniels ($8.3), Tramon ($4.8), Crosby ($3.7) to save an additional $16.8 million giving GB ~$57 million in cap space (would rank 10th before other teams cut guys)
  • Sign TWO free agent safeties. That position is disgusting and needs a complete overhaul. We need vets there immediately. ($18million cap hit total)
  • Sign ONE free agent IDL. A tier 2 guy similar to WIlkerson signing. Find a better fit/player than Daniels.($7million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent EDGE. Ideally a tier 1 or tier 2 guy here. We can jettison Perry's contract after this year and can afford to pay a top EDGE guy ($13 million cap hit - will balloon in 2020)
  • Sign ONE free agent swing OL. ($5million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent WR. ($7million cap hit)

This leaves about $7million left. We probably need to find 4 new defensive starters in free agency this year to hope for a SB caliber defense.

Daniels' ranking here surprises me and not in a good way.  I'd say he should have a higher number than Lowry for crying out loud...

6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

One thing I don't get is how come on the defence side of things that Daniels and Lowry are colour coded red when they have scores in the 70's and ranking from 45 to 60 while Jones is 62 score and rank 71 and is in the yellow?

I just did it very roughly in my head. My thought process was that IDL #2 are guys ranked between 33 and 64 in the league. Daniels was near the bottom of that tier. Lowry shouldn't be red. Error there.

#3 safeties range from 65-96, so Jones falls right in the middle there.

I tried ranking them by roles compared to similar roles across the league this way.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:25 AM, Brit Pack said:

Great post. Thank you. I like PFF in so much as it gives an indication, not necessarily the full picture but one of the best tools to give you a feel. That the edge was pitiful, again it would be nice to see how Matthews graded out here.

Matthews graded out at 63.9 for #65 edge.

Pitiful is an apt word for the edge group, including Clay.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

More perspective on whether to keep either of these guys for 2019. 

It's the thing we've discussed ad nauseam.  It looks purely at the money, and not very well if I might add.  IF you keep either one of them on the books this year, you're spreading the money over multiple years.  If you release them now, all the dead cap is going on this year.  It also doesn't take into account the fact that you have to replace that production, and more importantly those snaps.  As I've mentioned, a rookie pass rusher taken early should slot into Nick Perry's snaps, but you're not replacing Jimmy Graham with a rookie TE and the only veteran TE who figures to be productive is Jared Cook.  And we all know how that ended...

Archived