2019 GB TEAM Needs

squire12

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

At the time did you think that? I know I didn't.  I thought Brice and Jones were both ascending players who would take a few lumps but be average by season's end.  I also thought that HHCD was good enough to mask some of their shortcomings, so it shows what I know.  

I thought the same thing you did. I'm also not paid huge sums of money to know better than two guys who watch this stuff as a hobby. 

Which I guess is kinda my problem with this offseason. Is this team notably better than if a decently intelligent football fan we're in his shoes?

More than anything I would hope that the new coaching staff moves away from the cliched "identity" football which McCarthy seemed so obsessed with, and looks at each week as a challenge to best determine how to attack, and defend, an opposing team.

On some level I get it.  Teams have a certain level, and type, of talent, and a certain philosophy, which guides the way they game-plan and strategize.  Teams like the Pack with Rodgers and the salary cap implications have to make big picture decisions as a result of that.

But man...if the likelihood of victory is best served by running the football, then run the football.  If it's best served by checking to the back and taking advantage of space at the linebacker level, then do that.  If you can attack a team's secondary and take advantage of personnel and strategic weaknesses in the way they defend the pass, then go ahead and let Arod slang it around.

Seemed like they were in a constant state of "doing what we do" instead of doing what they should do to win a particular game.

Would think the most admirable thing about the Pats is the seemingly fluid way they game plan based on their own strengths and weaknesses and the strengths and weaknesses of the teams they play.  Rarely unprepared and almost never outcoached regardless of talent level.  BB and Tom make that easier of course, and I don't follow them closely, but how often does BB talk about "Patriot" football?  

Watching the way they use White/Michel seems to be an obvious example of this.  Different backs/skillsets but just keep humming along and the guy who was the guy early in the season is no longer the guy or no longer consistently the guy because the new healthy guy gives them a different/better way to attack defenses in certain circumstances.

I'm sure I'm wrong in some way as the eye test is usually flawed.

10 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Packer fans seem to think that the pass-rush isn't good until it looks consistently like Khalil Mack's first half of Week 1.

We actually had a higher rate of pressure than KC with their vaunted Houston/Ford duo.

I don't know if KC's defense is all a world beater.  They are winning more because of their explosive offense and not because of a great D.

6 hours ago, 66PinG said:

As well, I prefer leaders earning their pay checks.

we differ because I actually believe that Daniels does earn his. 

I can point to other players that didn't even come close, the list starts with Mathews, Perry and (god, I am going to be vilified here), Rodgers.

Not a single one of them earned their pay checks last season.

I also think that of the four, it is Daniels that "starts" a fire, at least on defense.

I don't think any of us will vilify you for saying Rodgers didn't earn his big paycheck last season.  For a variety of reasons he was barely average when he has the skill set to be extraordinary.   Let's hope this new offensive staff can get our QB to return to his stellar self in 2019.

3 hours ago, nickel said:

More than anything I would hope that the new coaching staff moves away from the cliched "identity" football which McCarthy seemed so obsessed with, and looks at each week as a challenge to best determine how to attack, and defend, an opposing team.

On some level I get it.  Teams have a certain level, and type, of talent, and a certain philosophy, which guides the way they game-plan and strategize.  Teams like the Pack with Rodgers and the salary cap implications have to make big picture decisions as a result of that.

But man...if the likelihood of victory is best served by running the football, then run the football.  If it's best served by checking to the back and taking advantage of space at the linebacker level, then do that.  If you can attack a team's secondary and take advantage of personnel and strategic weaknesses in the way they defend the pass, then go ahead and let Arod slang it around.

Seemed like they were in a constant state of "doing what we do" instead of doing what they should do to win a particular game.

Would think the most admirable thing about the Pats is the seemingly fluid way they game plan based on their own strengths and weaknesses and the strengths and weaknesses of the teams they play.  Rarely unprepared and almost never outcoached regardless of talent level.  BB and Tom make that easier of course, and I don't follow them closely, but how often does BB talk about "Patriot" football?  

Watching the way they use White/Michel seems to be an obvious example of this.  Different backs/skillsets but just keep humming along and the guy who was the guy early in the season is no longer the guy or no longer consistently the guy because the new healthy guy gives them a different/better way to attack defenses in certain circumstances.

I'm sure I'm wrong in some way as the eye test is usually flawed.

I don't think you are wrong at all (BTW, welcome).   It seemed like everyone else in this league is playing chess while McCarthy is still playing checkers thus his offense became stale, predicable and easily stopped even with Rodgers at the helm. 

NE will attack you at your weakest spot.  It was no accident that when they played us they didn't bother running so they came out and ran what looked like a 2 minute drill and got up on us right away taking advantage of our secondary and weak LBing corps.

The biggest team need that needed to be addressed was the head coach. Now, did we get the right guy? I think the roster has a lot of talent in a lot of places and wasn't being utilized well. Having said that we still have a major need at EDGE, offensive line, tight end and safety. 

If we can address those four positions properly this off season, we're right back in the conversation. Assuming we got it right at the HC position. 

Just now, Golfman said:

The biggest team need that needed to be addressed was the head coach. Now, did we get the right guy? I think the roster has a lot of talent in a lot of places and wasn't being utilized well. Having said that we still have a major need at EDGE, offensive line, tight end and safety. 

If we can address those four positions properly this off season, we're right back in the conversation. Assuming we got it right at the HC position. 

Havent lost that virus yet have ya? :)
Starting to feel better....but every now and then the symptoms return.

On 15/01/2019 at 1:39 AM, SAM said:

Saints and Pats, Battle of the Old Timers.

Rams and Chiefs, The Young bloods.

On 15/01/2019 at 2:03 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Unger, Watson, and Brees are I believe the only guys on that offense over 30. 

Demario Davis and Kurt Coleman on the defense.

Note I'm not looking this up. 

I don't think the Saints are old at all. they just have an old QB.

Brees v Brady.  Battle of the old timers

Goff v Mahomes.  The young bloods.

I think the comment was about the QBs rather than the respective rosters.

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I thought the same thing you did. I'm also not paid huge sums of money to know better than two guys who watch this stuff as a hobby. 

Which I guess is kinda my problem with this offseason. Is this team notably better than if a decently intelligent football fan we're in his shoes?

That is a very good question.  I will give them a lot of credit for the draft, probably less so for FA stuff and the player trades.  But they also have a lot more time and information than I do.  Could they do my job? Not if I just brought them in and said, "go to work." But they would absolutely be able to after they were experienced.  I expect that is the case for a lot of people here.  

I don't think it is a serious cause for concern.  I would call this offseason satisfactory or a bit better.  It is not an A+

On 1/19/2019 at 5:19 PM, incognito_man said:

I think we need a minimum of 3 defensive starters in FA to have a shot in 2019.

I agree about the number though I don't think they MUST come in Free Agency.  I wouldn't be opposed to it though as it would allow us to finally invest some high end draft picks into our offense a unit that has been terribly abused over the last 3 or 4 drafts.  Obviously throwing your entire draft at the defense hasn't been working so maybe it's time we take another route and start investing into some Free Agents to over up the failings of our front office.  

Would love to see Wilkerson brought back, a starting OLB added and a starting safety added.  I think it's totally plausible given the price of safeties in Free Agency.  

1 minute ago, SSG said:

I agree about the number though I don't think they MUST come in Free Agency.  I wouldn't be opposed to it though as it would allow us to finally invest some high end draft picks into our offense a unit that has been terribly abused over the last 3 or 4 drafts.  Obviously throwing your entire draft at the defense hasn't been working so maybe it's time we take another route and start investing into some Free Agents to over up the failings of our front office.  

Would love to see Wilkerson brought back, a starting OLB added and a starting safety added.  I think it's totally plausible given the price of safeties in Free Agency.  

The reason I said 3 in FA is because we need at least 4-5 total, and expecting more than 1 or 2 from the draft is an enormous long-shot.

I am banking on a starting (or serious contributor) EDGE at 12. That's gotta be the biggest no-brainer in the draft IMO.

We need 2 EDGE, 2 safeties for sure. And could use another starting CB assuming King and Jaire and healthy (which is a big assumption). So we need 5 starting caliber players added to the defense minimum.

21 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Packer fans seem to think that the pass-rush isn't good until it looks consistently like Khalil Mack's first half of Week 1.

We actually had a higher rate of pressure than KC with their vaunted Houston/Ford duo.

Not all pressure is the same.  Green Bay had to bring the house leaving the back end of our defense vulnerable.  If they weren't blitzing offenses had all the time in the world. 

Archived