2019 GB TEAM Needs

squire12

McGinn: The only position with even a measure of respectability was the all-backup front of Montravius Adams (played 51 of the 73 possible snaps on defense), Tyler Lancaster (38) and Dean Lowry (65). Adams saved the best two games of his second season for the Jets and Lions. The former third-round draft choice is starting to understand what it takes, like effort. Three times he hustled out of the pack on screens besides chasing downfield on other plays. He wasn’t playing that way even a month ago. Finally, you can see the get-off that got him drafted high. Adams registered two of the three pressures by the linemen. He’s also starting to find the ball after clearing blockers. Earlier, he’d penetrate but had no idea where to go next. Adams still had snaps where his pad level was too high, but even then he wasn’t getting totally displaced. He had a poor final series when the Lions basically ran straight downhill six times in a row for 33 yards. It still was a good way for Adams to enter the off-season.

You know when the grumpy old man is starting to say good things about you, you're starting to trend upward.

As far as OG goes, couple of young wild cards for the Packers. Can't pin much hope on either, but ya never know
Cole Madison and Nico Siragusa

Nico Siragusa  - 6'4  320. former 4th rounder for the Ravens, hit with nasty knee injury.

"The Baltimore Sun reports Ravens OG Nico Siragusa underwent a second surgery on his knee this offseason.
A fourth-round pick last year, Siragusa tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL during training camp last season." ( 2017)

13 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

As far as OG goes, couple of young wild cards for the Packers. Can't pin much hope on either, but ya never know
Cole Madison and Nico Siragusa

Nico Siragusa  - 6'4  320. former 4th rounder for the Ravens, hit with nasty knee injury.

"The Baltimore Sun reports Ravens OG Nico Siragusa underwent a second surgery on his knee this offseason.
A fourth-round pick last year, Siragusa tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL during training camp last season." ( 2017)

yeah that one sucks.

I'm 33 and have an arthritic knee from that ****. :(

Is it a guarantee that Bulaga is done in GB after next year? I know that is the popular opinion around here.

Seems like even though he was injured some this year, he actually played a decent amount of games and this would of been considered a somewhat healthy season(by Bulaga standards.) I am just curious that if he puts together a decently healthy season next year would the Packers be willing to try and keep him going forward since he will only be 30 and is a top 5 RT IMO when healthy.

I personally don't trust Bulaga to stay healthy especially as the older he gets but I wonder what the FO would think after two "somewhat" healthy seasons, especially if he could be had for a decent deal. It would be nice to not have to worry about RT for a few more years.

11 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

I personally don't trust Bulaga to stay healthy especially as the older he gets but I wonder what the FO would think after two "somewhat" healthy seasons, especially if he could be had for a decent deal. Would be nice to not have to worry about RT for a few more years.

What else do the Packers have there ? I feel certain they will let him play out his contract. Now, when that finishes (after the 2019 season) I expect they let him go, but my guess is that before that happens, they get a talented rookie OT (in this draft) and let him learn for a year behind Bryan, filling in as need be. Then in 2020, Bryan is gone and a new guy can step in. It just seems to make too much sense to do things any other way.

9 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

What else do the Packers have there ? I feel certain they will let him play out his contract. Now, when that finishes (after the 2019 season) I expect they let him go, but my guess is that before that happens, they get a talented rookie OT (in this draft) and let him learn for a year behind Bryan, filling in as need be. Then in 2020, Bryan is gone and a new guy can step in. It just seems to make too much sense to do things any other way.

I understand that is the overwhelming opinion of what will happen and am fine with that scenario. I am just curious if he hypothetically puts together another "somewhat" healthy season given his age, level of play, and possibility of a team friendly contract. With the amount of needs we have, I wonder if the FO would roll the dice on offering him a 3 year team friendly deal or something like that.

This depends on who the DC is going to be, but IMO, protecting Rodgers should be and is the #1 need for 2019.  I would double dip at OL within rounds 1-3, or draft 1 high and sign a top OL free agent.  OL, Edge, S, DL, TE.  Call me crazy, I am sure some of you would :D, but the TE class isn't very deep with top notch prospects.   Again, just IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Using PFF Ranks:

Position Name Score Rank Position Name Score Rank
QB Rodgers 90 5 EDGE1 Perry 53 99
WR1 Adams 88 9 EDGE2 Fackrell 69 46
WR2 MVS 60 91 EDGE3 Gilbert 64 67
WR3 ESB 64 75 IDL1 Clark 91 9
RB Jones 81 12 IDL2 Daniels 71 60
TE1 Graham 59 49 IDL3 Lowry 74 45
TE2 Tonyan 61 46 LB1 Martinez 75 17
LT Bakhtiari 88 1 LB2 Burks 44 100
LG Taylor 64 26 CB1 King 60 97
C Linsley 74 6 CB2 Alexander 72 32
RG McCray 65 24 CB3 Jackson 60 93
RT Bulaga 75 20 CB4 Brown 49 100
        S1 Williams 63 68
        S2 Brice 51 87
        S3 Jones 62 71

Clearly we have a ton of needs on defense. Here's how I would address this team this offseason:

• Cut Daniels ($8.3), Tramon ($4.8), Crosby ($3.7) to save an additional $16.8 million giving GB ~$57 million in cap space (would rank 10th before other teams cut guys)
  • Sign TWO free agent safeties. That position is disgusting and needs a complete overhaul. We need vets there immediately. ($18million cap hit total)
  • Sign ONE free agent IDL. A tier 2 guy similar to WIlkerson signing. Find a better fit/player than Daniels.($7million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent EDGE. Ideally a tier 1 or tier 2 guy here. We can jettison Perry's contract after this year and can afford to pay a top EDGE guy ($13 million cap hit - will balloon in 2020)
  • Sign ONE free agent swing OL. ($5million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent WR. ($7million cap hit)

This leaves about $7million left. We probably need to find 4 new defensive starters in free agency this year to hope for a SB caliber defense.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Using PFF Ranks:

Position Name Score Rank Position Name Score Rank
QB Rodgers 90 5 EDGE1 Perry 53 99
WR1 Adams 88 9 EDGE2 Fackrell 69 46
WR2 MVS 60 91 EDGE3 Gilbert 64 67
WR3 ESB 64 75 IDL1 Clark 91 9
RB Jones 81 12 IDL2 Daniels 71 60
TE1 Graham 59 49 IDL3 Lowry 74 45
TE2 Tonyan 61 46 LB1 Martinez 75 17
LT Bakhtiari 88 1 LB2 Burks 44 100
LG Taylor 64 26 CB1 King 60 97
C Linsley 74 6 CB2 Alexander 72 32
RG McCray 65 24 CB3 Jackson 60 93
RT Bulaga 75 20 CB4 Brown 49 100
        S1 Williams 63 68
        S2 Brice 51 87
        S3 Jones 62 71

Clearly we have a ton of needs on defense. Here's how I would address this team this offseason:

• Cut Daniels ($8.3), Tramon ($4.8), Crosby ($3.7) to save an additional $16.8 million giving GB ~$57 million in cap space (would rank 10th before other teams cut guys)
  • Sign TWO free agent safeties. That position is disgusting and needs a complete overhaul. We need vets there immediately. ($18million cap hit total)
  • Sign ONE free agent IDL. A tier 2 guy similar to WIlkerson signing. Find a better fit/player than Daniels.($7million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent EDGE. Ideally a tier 1 or tier 2 guy here. We can jettison Perry's contract after this year and can afford to pay a top EDGE guy ($13 million cap hit - will balloon in 2020)
  • Sign ONE free agent swing OL. ($5million cap hit)
  • Sign ONE free agent WR. ($7million cap hit)

This leaves about $7million left. We probably need to find 4 new defensive starters in free agency this year to hope for a SB caliber defense.

One average year doesn't make Daniels expendable IMO. I'd June 1st Perry and keep Daniels, other than that pretty spot on. Although I think we could get away with a cheaper WR than 7m per.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

One average year doesn't make Daniels expendable IMO. I'd June 1st Perry and keep Daniels, other than that pretty spot on. Although I think we could get away with a cheaper WR than 7m per.

Is Daniels a possible trade candidate? Or does that have more of a negative effect on our cap situation? In Pettine’s system I feel like Daniels is a poor fit for what he’s being paid. I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up moving on from him this offseason.

9 minutes ago, Lieker said:

Is Daniels a possible trade candidate?

1) would you rather have Mike Daniels or another 4th/5th ? I can't see him fetching much more than that, but others may feel differently
2) Can you replace his contribution for significantly less $$$. I don't believe you can.
FA's are available because their current team didn't think they were worth keeping around. ( sometimes a scheme change makes them available)

We can say Mike Daniels the physical specimen doesn't fit the parameters of the ideal DL in this scheme. But how many guys have his football demeanor AND will be available for a lot less cash ?  I think its in the Packers best interest to let the 29 year old finish his deal, that buys some time to fix all of the other fixin that needs fixin. In other words, the Mike Daniels "problem" is pretty far down the list

PackerRaymond posted earlier- IF some hot shot player comes available and GB needs the cash, you can always revisit. But the pool of "better and cheaper DL" is shallow and you have to compete on the open market for their services, which means you're over-paying. When you get past the hypotheticals of :
" we're looking for a slightly used mid-size sedan with less than 60K miles on it " and actually start naming names - the decision looks a bit different

There's between 1/2 and 3/4 billion in unspent cap looking for talent and much of it is controlled by not- smart GMs.
GB has to compete with them for the services of available players -  and those players/agents generally prefer dealing with the not-smart GM's ($$$)

Admittedly, I went into the cut Daniels idea thinking we need that money more elsewhere and believing he's not great value in the field for Pettine for his pay. 

If it takes cutting Daniels to get a stud edge AND a stud safety l, I do it though and roll with Clark, Adams, Lancaster, tier 2 FA and a rookie to challenge Lancaster/Adams/FA.

That's fair.
I just don't like using the hypotheticals because too often they are unicorns.
Who is a real live Tier 2 FA  DL that fits the scheme, is available and wants to play for the Packers on a reasonable deal ?

JAX is gonna cut Malik Jackson for poor performance, is he a Tier 2 ? He was a Tier 1 last time around

https://overthecap.com/player/malik-jackson/29/

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That's fair.
I just don't like using the hypotheticals because too often they are unicorns.
Who is a real live Tier 2 FA  DL that fits the scheme, is available and wants to play for the Packers on a reasonable deal ?

JAX is gonna cut Malik Jackson for poor performance, is he a Tier 2 ? He was a Tier 1 last time around

https://overthecap.com/player/malik-jackson/29/

JAX needs to move a good deal of players to get in good cap situation.  Jackson, Campbell, Dareus, Gipson are all prime candidates for being cut or traded

Why I targeted AJ Cann in FA mock for OG addition.  Need to look at those teams that are in tight cap situations and see if a trade or FA might be easier to pry away.

Archived