2019 GB TEAM Needs

squire12

Lot's of obvious holes but frankly, the cupboard ain't bare.

QB/LT/C/RB/#1WR all fine on offense.  Some youth and physical talent at WR, TE is a car wreck, IOL needs help badly.  RT?  Big question mark but not a 911.  NFL tackle play is whatever.  How much improvement comes from the "new" with the coaching and scheme?

Defense needs a lot more talent but again, there are some pieces.  Clark/JA give you ascending elite talent at two big spots, Maybe King can stay healthy and that's two CB's, Martinez & Matthews are workable at ILB (Clay has gotta move) and Daniels/Breeland/Lowry/Adams give you some solid-not terrible pieces.  Safety shouldn't be some sort of massive ordeal it sucks they need two but find a veteran and someone in the draft and it could easily go league average.  Draft capital + cap room + year two Pettine + better injury luck + better team vibe gets the D to league average or better and it probably doesn't need all of those things.

I don't know it was a frustrating year and I am probably overestimating the talent and underestimating Rodgers issues a bit but that stretch against LA/NE/SEA/MIN made it pretty clear that at health we could at least compete. 

My priorities would be, not necessarily draft order (if a bunch of 5th rounders fix the OL then great whatever works)

1. O Line

Its pretty simple. We have a small fortune invested in Rodgers who has shown he can no longer take a hit. You can scheme around some things but if the pash rushers get to Rodgers then the season is going to end pretty quickly regardless of what you do with defence. We have a stud LT and a very good C. Realistically you can't bank on Bulaga surviving the season so what's left is a bit of a train wreck. We need starters and depth. We need to go back to drafting O Line every year. Sorting the Line is a priority.

2. OLB

Self-explanatory

3. TE

You can talk about draft value till you blue in the face but that isn't going to help you win games. You need to be drafting offensive skill players in the first 2 days every year or your guys are going to be worse than the players they are playing against or you have to put up with bad contracts on regressing players (Graham). I would draft TE or WR early this year if the right player is available. TE seems best bet at the moment.

4. Safety

I'd rather address this in free agency instead of throwing draft pick after draft pick at the secondary.

5. DL

If BPA says someone can't be passed then go ahead but all things being equal there should be higher priorities.

6. WR

I want a young talented skill player drafted early. Would prefer TE but this would be my second choice. If we get a TE early then happy to give the current young guys a chance to develop.

7. CB

Definition of insanity is doing same thing and expecting different results. We have thrown a crazy amount of picks at the position , still not fixed it and ruined the offense. No more. Try and use what you have now.

8. RB

Happy with current players. If someone falls then OK.

9. K

Crosby is paid too much. Draft someone in the 7th round to try and beat him out.

10. ILB

No thanks.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think the leader thing is a bit overblown. If a guy isn't like Reggie white or Ray Lewis level, I don't think that aspect moves the needle compared to how good the player is for his contract.

Daniels leadership isn't a factor if I'm deciding whether or not he stays. The only thing I'm concerned with is whether or not we could get better value in the field in his spot. If there are enough "yes" options, I move on.

Leadership is the biggest factor I look at if everything else is almost the same..

Hell, I'll take a leader that is even less talented simply for the leadership qualities.

anyone that says leadership is not important in any walk of life is just wrong.

Leadership is one of the highest attributes you can have in my opinion.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:37 PM, squire12 said:

Offense

OG

Swing OT

TE x2

WR

Defense

DL x2

OLB x2

ILB 

Safety x2

CB

I agree with all this except I feel we could use another RB before WR. A slot is all I could see us possibly needing but that’s overrated I feel. We have 2 nice RB’s but one is often hurt which leaves us very thin. 

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

My priorities would be, not necessarily draft order (if a bunch of 5th rounders fix the OL then great whatever works)

1. O Line

Its pretty simple. We have a small fortune invested in Rodgers who has shown he can no longer take a hit. You can scheme around some things but if the pash rushers get to Rodgers then the season is going to end pretty quickly regardless of what you do with defence. We have a stud LT and a very good C. Realistically you can't bank on Bulaga surviving the season so what's left is a bit of a train wreck. We need starters and depth. We need to go back to drafting O Line every year. Sorting the Line is a priority.

2. OLB

Self-explanatory

3. TE

You can talk about draft value till you blue in the face but that isn't going to help you win games. You need to be drafting offensive skill players in the first 2 days every year or your guys are going to be worse than the players they are playing against or you have to put up with bad contracts on regressing players (Graham). I would draft TE or WR early this year if the right player is available. TE seems best bet at the moment.

4. Safety

I'd rather address this in free agency instead of throwing draft pick after draft pick at the secondary.

5. DL

If BPA says someone can't be passed then go ahead but all things being equal there should be higher priorities.

6. WR

I want a young talented skill player drafted early. Would prefer TE but this would be my second choice. If we get a TE early then happy to give the current young guys a chance to develop.

7. CB

Definition of insanity is doing same thing and expecting different results. We have thrown a crazy amount of picks at the position , still not fixed it and ruined the offense. No more. Try and use what you have now.

8. RB

Happy with current players. If someone falls then OK.

9. K

Crosby is paid too much. Draft someone in the 7th round to try and beat him out.

10. ILB

No thanks.

Like this except I’m puzzled. I keep reading on here we need some new young talent at WR. ? Look at our roster, it’s all young athletic guys! St. B, MVS, Lazard, J’ Moore, maybe Davis in a new system and Kumerow. All young athletic guys. I just don’t see the need there. 

RB is much more a concern. LaFleur runs a more balanced attack than MM and while we have 2 nice RB’s, one is often hurt. Not that he will keep getting hurt, one never knows but I feel another good RB is a must. 

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Until the point where the Packers dropped the negotiations and ended up signing Martellus Bennett instead.

Didn't Cook's agent overplay his hand?  It appears we are still trying to replace Finley.  I hope we draft one this spring so we don't have to screw around and overpay for over the hill TEs in FA.

5 hours ago, 66PinG said:

Leadership is the biggest factor I look at if everything else is almost the same..

Hell, I'll take a leader that is even less talented simply for the leadership qualities.

anyone that says leadership is not important in any walk of life is just wrong.

Leadership is one of the highest attributes you can have in my opinion.

Sure, but I'm saying I don't think Daniels leadership moves the needle enough.

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Sure, but I'm saying I don't think Daniels leadership moves the needle enough.

So, he's only a 7.3 instead of an 8.5 ?

Packers don't have another Silverback in that room -  and they need at least one
Very difficult to bring in an outsider to assume that role, even harder to draft one
So the needle-moving requirements are specific to each team, each position group.
I believe our young DL crew benefits significantly from having Mr. Daniels in the room and on the field on Sunday

Just now, Shanedorf said:

So, he's only a 7.3 instead of an 8.5 ?

Packers don't have another Silverback in that room -  and they need at least one
Very difficult to bring in an outsider to assume that role, even harder to draft one
So the needle-moving requirements are specific to each team, each position group.
I believe our young DL crew benefits significantly from having Mr. Daniels in the room and on the field on Sunday

Leader has to walk the walk though or he loses credibility. Daniels lost credibility in 2018.

Can't force a leader, either. Needs right happen organically, and if Daniels isn't playing up to his paycheck, players notice and messages start to fall on deaf ears.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Daniels lost credibility in 2018

Who did he lose credibility with ?  Some fans on a message board ?

Have you spoken to Lancaster, Clark, Adams, Lowery and the guys GB will draft in April ?
Have you been in The Room or on the sidelines on Sunday ?

This whole thing is just fan projection.

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Who did he lose credibility with ?  Some fans on a message board ?

Have you spoken to Lancaster, Clark, Adams, Lowery and the guys GB will draft in April ?
Have you been in The Room or on the sidelines on Sunday ?

This whole thing is just fan projection.

If you don't play/work up to your paycheck you lose credibility. In every industry. The NFL is no different. It's actually almost certainly amplified.

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Leader has to walk the walk though or he loses credibility. Daniels lost credibility in 2018.

Can't force a leader, either. Needs right happen organically, and if Daniels isn't playing up to his paycheck, players notice and messages start to fall on deaf ears.

Yea we're not paying him $10.7 mil to "lead" and talk alot to offensive guards. Moreover, if I'm GM I'm not paying him $10.7 to eat up space in Pettine's defense. Give me a pass rusher for that kind of money, you can find suitable run defenders for a lot less. 

Again, I love Daniels the person, but that extra $8 mil I could get with his salary could really help this team. Last year, even when healthy Daniels simply did not make a difference out there.

Archived