2017 Preseason GDT Week 3 Cleveland @ Tampa Bay!

Mastercheddaar

We are really going to get a good evaluation on our players/team against the Bucs....I'm excited

Deshone and the offense are going to be under serious fire. I'm most interested in seeing if JC Tretter and Zeitler can handle inside pressure from Chris Baker and/or Gerald Mccoy...

They have talented corners and two passing and run game destroyers like Lavonte David and Kwon Alexander...

We're going to see some adversity, and I'd like to see our guys battle

On defense we are going to be facing one of the most talented skill position groups in the game...

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

We are really going to get a good evaluation on our players/team against the Bucs....I'm excited

Deshone and the offense are going to be under serious fire. I'm most interested in seeing if JC Tretter and Zeitler can handle inside pressure from Chris Baker and/or Gerald Mccoy...

They have talented corners and two passing and run game destroyers like Lavonte David and Kwon Alexander...

We're going to see some adversity, and I'd like to see our guys battle

On defense we are going to be facing one of the most talented skill position groups in the game...

Agreed.

As a side note, I also think it's imperative that they keep winning these preseason games.  Sure it's irrelevant for a team like the Pats, but a young team who experienced so much defeat last year needs to start seeing w's, even if it's an exhibition.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.

As a side note, I also think it's imperative that they keep winning these preseason games.  Sure it's irrelevant for a team like the Pats, but a young team who experienced so much defeat last year needs to start seeing w's, even if it's an exhibition.

I think you always try to win in preseason...unless there is something particular that you need to work on. Even for backups and 3rd stringers, you need to be able to perform when the game is on the line and even if there isn't the same pressure necessarily in preseason, there is still a little bit of it there. I would still work on a deep passing game with a 24-3 lead in the 4th quarter and other things which isn't the smart way to play in a regular season game but I'm still going to try to get the W if it comes down to having the ball with a chance to win I would do whatever it takes to score or stop the opposition (short of putting starters back in of course). Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds winning. The Pats have plenty of both so no they probably don't need to worry about it but it still has to be a goal going into the game, even if it isn't the main goal.

This is a very interesting game (I wish it were on live, I am so anxious to watch).  All eyes will be on Kizer and the offense against McCoy and that defense, and understandably so, but there is so much more to see.  I am particularly interested to see how our D and secondary plans to slow down Winston and Evans.  That is as impressive of a QB/WR combo as there is in the league right now.  Given that this is the dress rehearsal, neither team should be holding much back.  If we can slow them down and they don't literally torch us, its reason for some real optimism.

1 hour ago, LouBegaFreak said:

Fine with me - some people have this strange notion that they want to see Kizer play against a stout defense to "properly evaluate" him - I say ease him in as much as possible and build confidence anyway you can.

38 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

Fine with me - some people have this strange notion that they want to see Kizer play against a stout defense to "properly evaluate" him - I say ease him in as much as possible and build confidence anyway you can.

I think it is more about building comfort than confidence. Not a huge difference from our perspective but I think he has the confidence he just needs to be in a comfortable setting to do what he is able to do at the moment.

A good sign with Kizer is that he seems pretty comfortable with pressure so far. It is also a negative because he holds on to the ball too long at times but Ben won a couple titles (with help from his supporting cast) while having the same issue. In a perfect world he would get rid of the ball (throw away) a moment before he would have to take a hit but I'd rather he calmly take a sack than spaz and throw a pick.

If he does start he'll be a half of the field QB, at best, for awhile. He is a threat with his legs so it may work for him as the defense will have to stay somewhat honest or he could scramble for 20 yards at times running away from where he is looking. Also when he is on the run and keeping his eyes downfield he will be able to scan the whole field because of the time you have unlike when you are in the pocket so between those three variables he does have a chance to succeed. Of course he will have to not suck or none of it matters but that goes without saying. Since I said it I guess it goes with or without saying. Unless I somehow changed it by saying it then maybe it no longer would go without saying, which is fortunate because I already said it. I apologize for wasting your time if you read this. I'm not so sorry that I delete it and not make you read it but there is a glimmer of regret and I hope that is enough for you.

The Steelers (and other teams in the regular season) will ease it in all right.  Bend over Kizer!  That is what worries me most about playing an extremely young guy, that is not quite ready, against probably the most exotic and aggressive D in the league, led by a very dirty player (Harrison).

Russell Wilson has been sacked no fewer than 33 times in any season he has been a starting QB. Aaron Rodgers is up there as well. I'm not concerned with him getting hurt, or getting panicky after sacks. He's going to make mistakes, but it's about what plays he makes. I was a big Kessler supporter, but I see a difference now. One is afraid to make mistakes so he doesn't take risks, the other has the ability to make all the throws and put points on the board, but needs to limit the mistakes while understanding that they will come. 

Archived