Mike Mayock nearing deal to be Raiders next GM.

TecmoSuperJoe

On 12/31/2018 at 8:29 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Would be awesome to see him succeed, it would make me feel 100x more confident about my armchair GMing and I'd feel justified in questioning every step my GM makes.... because as far as I'm concerned Mayock's only qualifications are being on TV as a top of the line armchair scout. It would be cool to see him succeed though in all honesty, might open up the NFL's mind just a little bit when it comes to hiring, although when it comes to FO they might already be pretty open minded, it's the coaching where hires are formulaic and follow a pretty rigid path.

Curious what Qualifications Elway and Lynch had to be GM that Mayock doesnt?

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Not sure I liked some of the answers there. This 'we'll do everything together' business is wrong headed. GM's and Head coaches should have defined roles, that's the only way it's ever worked. 

Every coach and GM works together in roster building.

8 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Well yeah, but in a way that should be defined. 

Show me one introductory presser where either the gm or hc says what they are going to specifically do in roster building.  Mayock gave some really good honest answers to the tougher questions.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Show me one introductory presser where either the gm or hc says what they are going to specifically do in roster building.  Mayock gave some really good honest answers to the tougher questions.

Mayock gave some great answers, but it's up to the owner to define who should be doing what. Can't think of many situations where both guys think they're in charge of the personnel and it works out well. 

Gruden couldn't stop throwing the previous GM under the bus and has an awful track record managing personnel. Whilst Mayock came across well, he was still wise cracking about separately phoning around for trades. Just seems like a chaotic set-up. Only takes one move made in isolation for that situation to go south pretty quickly. 

13 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Can't think of many situations where both guys think they're in charge of the personnel and it works out well.

Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan

And when your HC has a 10 year warranty on his Teflon jacket, the failures are gonna be on the GM

Jokes aside, I actually like this hire. Mayock has been linked to the Raiders GM job for quite a few years. I know it's easy for folks on the outside to remain skeptical, because he doesn't have any front office experience, and has largely just been a face on television. However, to me he's never seemed like a phony all these years. Clearly he has connections in the NFL business, and has done a remarkable job as a player scout over the years. Like he said in the presser, he's been in every building multiple times, and gotten to know a variety of people from every organization. It may not be the traditional route to becoming a GM, but it doesn't mean it won't work out. As a 49ers fan with John Lynch, he's done ok so far. Not great, but not terrible. It could have been much worse two years in. 

On 1/2/2019 at 4:33 AM, goldfishwars said:

Not sure I liked some of the answers there. This 'we'll do everything together' business is wrong headed. GM's and Head coaches should have defined roles, that's the only way it's ever worked. 

This is sarcasm, right? Aren't you a Patriots fan? Your GM and head coach are literally the same person and you've had more success than just about anyone ever.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

This is sarcasm, right? Aren't you a Patriots fan? Your GM and head coach are literally the same person and you've had more success than just about anyone ever.

Some teams have a head coach with personnel responsibilities and a director of player personnel alongside. That's still a defined role though. Nick Caserio does that role for the Patriots, that's not Mayock's official role with the Raiders.

New England's draft classes have not been good for the most part, never been a BB strength. He's an incredible head coach, which is why we've enjoyed sustained success. 

Archived