Jaguars void guarantees on RB Leonard Fournette's rookie deal

ET80

https://apnews.com/27d7520db8684cedabf9fe02abb55382

So, I'm not a CBA or contract expert, so might need some folks to chime in on this. Non-story... or are the Jags about to move on from the #4 pick from the 2017 draft?

If this does lead to a parting of ways, who is in the market for a guy like Fournette? What sort of deal would it take to land Fournette in a trade?

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

I feel like you wouldn't do that if you weren't planning on moving on. That has to ruin any good faith left between the player and the FO.

So the off-season for RB just got moreso interesting... Le'Veon Bell, Mark Ingram, Kareem Hunt and Fournette now lead a pretty good FA/available vet class. (TJ Yeldon and Tevin Coleman are also some names to watch).

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Odd decision. Hope Fournette goes elsewhere now. He deserves better.

They just  cant get out of their way when it comes to what to do with this roster. Now they will let go of their best player on offense still on his rookie deal but eat a ton of money on a contract Bortles should have never seen.

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So the off-season for RB just got moreso interesting... Le'Veon Bell, Mark Ingram, Kareem Hunt and Fournette now lead a pretty good FA/available vet class. (TJ Yeldon and Tevin Coleman are also some names to watch).

Pretty deep, too. Ajayi, Ware, Murray, Mike Davis. Some good vet backups in there.

I get that Fournette isnt living up to the spot he was drafted, but there is some nice talent there to work with.

I certainly wouldnt mind bringing him to Pittsburgh to split carries with Conner next year, but my guess is he will get more than we are willing to pay.     Wont be shocked if a team like the Bucs or Jets sign him after hiring new HCs;.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

I get that Fournette isnt living up to the spot he was drafted, but there is some nice talent there to work with.

I certainly wouldnt mind bringing him to Pittsburgh to split carries with Conner next year, but my guess is he will get more than we are willing to pay.     Wont be shocked if a team like the Bucs or Jets sign him after hiring new HCs;.

Part of me wants to say he's going to get traded before he hits the market - but I've also got to think if the writing is on the wall, why dish out picks/players when you can just wait for the inevitable release?

If he's on the FA market, I'd really want the Texans to take a look - Lamar Miller had a very good season this year, but does pose an injury risk and is playing a bit against the grain for his skill (he's not a between-the-tackles kinda runner). Dont'a Foreman was supposed to be that guy, but he's completely out of shape following his achilles tear.

Fournette could easily get to 18-20 touches a game in this offense, and would open up so much for Watson and Hopkins...

Just now, ET80 said:

Part of me wants to say he's going to get traded before he hits the market - but I've also got to think if the writing is on the wall, why dish out picks/players when you can just wait for the inevitable release?

The answer to this is always that you're guaranteed to get him. If he goes to FA he gets to pick where he goes.

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

He's gonna get traded before he gets cut.

Given that people know the divorce is pretty much underway, why are teams going to trade for him knowing that he's not going to play for Jax next season?

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

The answer to this is always that you're guaranteed to get him. If he goes to FA he gets to pick where he goes.

This makes sense - you'd also get him on a rookie deal vs a FA contract so there's cost control to consider.

Archived