Jaguars void guarantees on RB Leonard Fournette's rookie deal

ET80

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

A NFL player cares about money? Okay, cool.

If you want to ignore every other part of that post’s context, sure caring about money isn’t a bad thing.

But let’s not sit here and pretend like averaging 3.7 YPC while only playing in 21 of 32 possible games, skipping multiple rehab treatments, showing up late to meeting repeatedly, receiving two separate suspensions, and getting called out publicly by your team’s EVP for your behavior on the sideline is somehow fine and dandy.

4 hours ago, pwny said:

If you want to ignore every other part of that post’s context, sure caring about money isn’t a bad thing.

But let’s not sit here and pretend like averaging 3.7 YPC while only playing in 21 of 32 possible games, skipping multiple rehab treatments, showing up late to meeting repeatedly, receiving two separate suspensions, and getting called out publicly by your team’s EVP for your behavior on the sideline is somehow fine and dandy.

Considering all the issues in the Jaguars' locker room, it sounds to me like a change is needed. But y'all decided to bring everybody back, so you gotta find somebody to blame.

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The next time you hear anyone say players should loyal to their teams or honor their contracts when they're holding out for more money or more stability long-term, I'm just gonna bring this up.

I don't see how Fournette should be the poster boy of a player being railroaded by the team, given that he broke the terms of the contract first.

32 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Considering all the issues in the Jaguars' locker room, it sounds to me like a change is needed. But y'all decided to bring everybody back, so you gotta find somebody to blame.

Lol. He was skipping treatments and showing up to meetings late in 2017, when there were no issues in the locker room. That's why he got suspended last season. But sure, I'm just scapegoating him. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, pwny said:

Lol. He was skipping treatments and showing up to meetings late in 2017, when there were no issues in the locker room. That's why he got suspended last season. But sure, I'm just scapegoating him. 

I knew this wouldn’t get a response.

On 01/01/2019 at 3:49 PM, pwny said:

The team also still voted him a team captain in 2018 though.  So perhaps that's where it seems like there's a bit of a disconnect between how much of a problem he is in the room/off the field in the eyes of the team, vs in the eyes of Coughlin and Co.

I mean, Jalen was suspended this year for "conduct unbecoming of a Jaguar" or whatever too...but apparently there's no "issue" there.  It's all made up?

21 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, Jalen was suspended this year for "conduct unbecoming of a Jaguar" or whatever too...but apparently there's no "issue" there.  It's all made up?

Who said there was no issue? Everyone knows what he did that led to that suspension. I don’t remember anyone making excuses for his behavior either. He shouldn’t have done what he did, period.

The difference is, as far as anyone knows, Jalen’s outburst with the media was a single thing that was dealt with and nothing else has happened that’s drawn any ire from the team. It’s not like Jalen is having statements released about him by coaches multiple times throughout the season that the team is disappointed in how he’s rehabbing and that they feel he can’t be counted on, coming back out of shape because he’s skipping treatments for the second straight year, getting suspended by the league for coming off the sideline to punch someone on the other sideline, getting into a verbal altercation with a fan, and having the EVP call him out for his behavior on the sideline. You also won’t find Jalen throwing a childish fit and removing all the Jaguars related stuff from all his social media either. 

These aren’t good things and the fact that it’s an ongoing thing for over a year is even less good. 

On 12/31/2018 at 12:40 AM, ET80 said:

https://apnews.com/27d7520db8684cedabf9fe02abb55382

So, I'm not a CBA or contract expert, so might need some folks to chime in on this. Non-story... or are the Jags about to move on from the #4 pick from the 2017 draft?

If this does lead to a parting of ways, who is in the market for a guy like Fournette? What sort of deal would it take to land Fournette in a trade?

Not a CBA expert by any means, but can't imagine this stands up if Fournette ended up fighting it.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not a CBA expert by any means, but can't imagine this stands up if Fournette ended up fighting it.

Why wouldn’t it? It’s a part of many rookie contracts that if they get suspended for any reason, the team has the rights to void guarantees. If he didn’t want that in his contract, he should have had it removed, like Sam Darnold did.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

Why wouldn’t it? It’s a part of many rookie contracts that if they get suspended for any reason, the team has the rights to void guarantees. If he didn’t want that in his contract, he should have had it removed, like Sam Darnold did.

I'm no lawyer, but the CBA is pretty ironclad in this - any suspension voids guarantees.   The NFLPA could challenge the team-imposed suspension saying it was a way to get around the guarantees, but there's no chance with the NFL suspension for his BUF fight that the union is winning this one.   JAX has a very clear path given the league imposed suspension.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:10 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Quick spoiler alert: This is most NFL teams.

Disagree. Most NFL players care the most about money, but they also care about their personal pride. Apparently Fournette doesn't.

Sucks because I really thought he was going to be a STUD, but I didn't realize he was a freaking bum that didn't want to play hard. Guys like Fournette make me sick and I'd immediately look to cut ties with him if he really is that way.

btw, I still think he's going to be a very good player. But I can't deal with selfishness out of my guys. Screw that noise.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Disagree. Most NFL players care the most about money, but they also care about their personal pride. Apparently Fournette doesn't.

Sucks because I really thought he was going to be a STUD, but I didn't realize he was a freaking bum that didn't want to play hard. Guys like Fournette make me sick and I'd immediately look to cut ties with him if he really is that way.

btw, I still think he's going to be a very good player. But I can't deal with selfishness out of my guys. Screw that noise.

Kind of my exact feelings on him as the season came to a close. There just seems like a lot of serious off field issues with him and he doesn't seem to care about his body or play. He just expects to coast on talent alone and it hasn't worked so far.

He's had his moments and games, but he hasn't come close to what he should be doing given the talent.

Archived