Titans year in revivew

KingTitan

I know we didn't make the playoffs and that it's a let down considering we won a playoff game last year, but considering the circumstances, to end the season with a winning record is pretty remarkable.

-First year HC

-First year OC

-Longest game in NFL history to begin the season

-Lost Walker to IR in the very first game

-Mariota injures his nerve in the very first game which proved to be a year long issue

-#2 WR quits after 3 games

-Lost Pamphile to IR

-Lost Jonnu to IR

-Lost Conklin to IR (clearly wasn't himself when he was back anyways)

-Lost Logan to IR

-Lost Casey to IR

-Counted on Gabbert for 3 starts, and he played major snaps in 5 out of the 16 games

-Counted on 5 practice squad level players to play major roles in the offense throughout the season - Firsker, Pruitt, Williams, Batson, and Jennings.

I'm sure there are more things that I am forgetting that some of you can add, but that is a slew of negatives for a team to overcome with a first year HC and we still finished over .500. Even though we missed the playoffs I don't view this season as a failure when you take in the context.

Yea it sucks we didn’t make it to the playoffs but based off everything we had to overcome this year, having a winning record is not to be over looked. We also have a lot to build on with so many young players getting to play.

I love that Henry hit 1000 yards especially with the start that he had to the season. Just imagine if he played like he did in December all season 😳😳

i think with us having the same offense another year and LaFleur having his 2ndyear calming plays.. I think the offense will be much improved next season

This may sound a bit like a copout but I felt like we were a year away all season. This year felt like a "learning" year. Vrabel "learning" how to be a head coach. LaFleur "learning" how to call plays full time. Mariota and the offense as a whole "learning" how to play under LaFleur's offense. Henry "learning" what he needs to do to be the workhorse back. I can keep going but I think you guys get the point.

Next season is (hopefully) when it'll all click. Losing LaFleur would be a big lost and a setback though imo.

11 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

This may sound a bit like a copout but I felt like we were a year away all season. This year felt like a "learning" year. Vrabel "learning" how to be a head coach. LaFleur "learning" how to call plays full time. Mariota and the offense as a whole "learning" how to play under LaFleur's offense. Henry "learning" what he needs to do to be the workhorse back. I can keep going but I think you guys get the point.

Next season is (hopefully) when it'll all click. Losing LaFleur would be a big lost and a setback though imo.

This is how I felt most of the year as well. 

I felt that some of the “being a year away” feeling was due to injuries and a lack of quality depth at key areas moreso than Vrabel and LaFleur being first time HC & OC. They both were certainly learning and had some growing pains, but I thought our lack of quality depth was a bigger issue. 

That being said, I don’t recall a time I have been more optimistic heading into in offseason in a long time. The fact they turned this season into 9-7 and a win away from the playoffs has me excited. I think we need to make some improvements to the roster and obviously have guys continue to develop before we can take another step forward, but I can’t remember the last time I felt that the coaching staff was capable of leading this team to great heights. 

I try to avoid the next year mentality

i think during the off season they need to really figure out what they have and or need to do to get more consistent production from the OL and how to maximize the amazing talent that is Henry over the whole year with the skill st that Marcus And Lewis bring to the table 

they also need to Upgrade the DL our ability to stop the run was very sporadic Gave  up a ton of drives where the oponent seemed to run at will be it RB or QB scramble    We also need to improve the coverage ability of our secondary when going nickel or dime packages It seemed Indy and other teams threw the ball better third and long then when throwing off play action and that was a trend all year we had a meshmash where half the team was better in zone while the other half Better in man it seemed

main positives :   Our rookie LB’s with Orakpo and Brown flashed brilliance    Our WR core and TE core could be great next year   We had a lot our young talent step up and at times looked great 

huge decision come up on Marcus and back up  is Fowles a affordable option as back up???     I can see us using franchise tag after next year if we have another year like this year and no great option  in the draft even though Marcus is one of my favorite players doesn’t matter how good you are if you can’t play

Archived