Coaching Change Rumor Thread

cddolphin

The beat reporters have said that the players are lobbying hard for Rizzi. Apparently, he handled a lot of the behind the scenes work this year, and made a very good impression. The only negative to Rizzi is that he needs to be able to get a staff together, the offensive coordinators that he has worked with in the past are all employed by other teams right now. Rizzi has a very good working relationship with Grier, and is the type of person who gets along well with everyone. One player called Rizzi the "voice of reason" in the coaching staff this year. Rizzi does have college head coaching experience, but only at the Division 2 and 3 level. The fact that Rizzi has been with the Dolphins since 2009 is a testament to how adaptable he is, when you think about all of the coaching staffs he has been a part of. 

As expected, the big name coaching candidates are looking past the Dolphins, as we are going to be a full rebuild. No easy choices in Miami.

7 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

The beat reporters have said that the players are lobbying hard for Rizzi. Apparently, he handled a lot of the behind the scenes work this year, and made a very good impression. The only negative to Rizzi is that he needs to be able to get a staff together, the offensive coordinators that he has worked with in the past are all employed by other teams right now. Rizzi has a very good working relationship with Grier, and is the type of person who gets along well with everyone. One player called Rizzi the "voice of reason" in the coaching staff this year. Rizzi does have college head coaching experience, but only at the Division 2 and 3 level. The fact that Rizzi has been with the Dolphins since 2009 is a testament to how adaptable he is, when you think about all of the coaching staffs he has been a part of. 

As expected, the big name coaching candidates are looking past the Dolphins, as we are going to be a full rebuild. No easy choices in Miami.

I think players always lobby for coaches they know and like.  The issue for me with that is if we want to change the culture of mediocrity then it’s probably best to bring in someone that wasn’t involved with that culture.  Rizzi has done well for us overall with the STs, but I’m hoping for someone from the Reid coaching tree, which means Bienemy or John Harbaugh.  Bienemy should be able to lure position coaches away from KC and Philly to fulfill coordinator roles.  Additionally if we make a run at Nick Foles it would make a big difference that he would be familiar with the system Bienemy runs.

I like Fangio as a DC but there’s a reason he’s enjoyed so much success as a DC and hasn’t been a HC yet.

37 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I think players always lobby for coaches they know and like.  The issue for me with that is if we want to change the culture of mediocrity then it’s probably best to bring in someone that wasn’t involved with that culture.  Rizzi has done well for us overall with the STs, but I’m hoping for someone from the Reid coaching tree, which means Bienemy or John Harbaugh.  Bienemy should be able to lure position coaches away from KC and Philly to fulfill coordinator roles.  Additionally if we make a run at Nick Foles it would make a big difference that he would be familiar with the system Bienemy runs.

I like Fangio as a DC but there’s a reason he’s enjoyed so much success as a DC and hasn’t been a HC yet.

Foles ain’t touching us. 

He is gonna want to win.

I have no interest in paying him the big bucks for a year or two. Goes against what was suggested at the PC when they suggested it would be young guys in FA

5 hours ago, mountainpd said:

Foles ain’t touching us. 

He is gonna want to win.

I have no interest in paying him the big bucks for a year or two. Goes against what was suggested at the PC when they suggested it would be young guys in FA

He already has a Super Bowl Ring.  I think he’s going to be looking to get paid.  I don’t think he’s really made starter Vet QB money since he’s been in the league.  I don’t think winning will be the issue as much as length of the contract.  He will want a lot garaunteed on a long term deal and I’m sure we will be looking for a vet QB on a 3 year deal since we likely, and rightfully, will be looking to get a stud QB on a rookie deal.

Reason I believe we probably make a run at Foles is his amazing performance against our AFC East opponent the Patriots........He clearly showed that he doesn’t fear them and played incredibly well on the biggest stage in professional sports.  Additionally it’s rumored we want to move on from Tannehill, who is on the books for $26 mil next season, and even if it’s $13 mil in dead space that still clears up a significant chunk of cap to bring in a Vet QB.....add in the $12 mil we save from cutting Quinn and that’s starting QB money for a year.

If we do give up a 2019 first round pick for John Harbaugh then that drastically increases the possibility we bring in a high priced Veteran QB next season if we do indeed let Tannehill go.

Foles and Bridgewater are the only two Vet FA QB’s worthy to start for us next season IMO.

RG3 and Tyrod Taylor are the only other FA QB’s in 2019 that I can really even see being a possibility to come in as a starter for 2019......... not saying I would want that, only that it could happen.

Edited by Swampbilly

It is rumored that Ross will now make a hard push for Jim Harbaugh.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_dolphins_will_try_the_hardest_to_land_jim_harbaugh/s1_12680_28131611

I have to admit that I would be excited to land either of the Harbaugh brothers, especially John if we don’t give up any first or second round picks for him.  

Edited by Swampbilly

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, Emerica said:

I'm sold on Fangio. Would be interested in seeing what type of coaching staff he could come up with. He's been in the league for a long time.

I don't know if Fangio is the type of coach who could get along well with Ross. It seems that there was a lot of tension between Gase and Ross, and that played heavily into Ross's decision to fire Gase. Ross isn't a nosy owner that tries to run the organization like in Dallas, but what was reported is that Ross likes to be "in the loop", and would call Gase regularly. It seems that Gase took offense to that and he became very indifferent to Ross, Gase wanted to run the show and not answer to anyone. Fangio has been reported to be very gruff and blunt, that he says what he feels and doesn't care who he is talking too. That is fine when the conversation is in house, but you have to have some political savvy in dealing with the media, and the owner. The fact that Fangio has recently told the media that he isn't preparing for his head coaching interviews is a perfect example of that. Even if you plan to wing it, why would you let your potential employer know that? Why announce that to the world?

From looking at the potential HC candidates, I really like Bienemy and Rizzi. I know that each doesn't have that much of a resume, but listening to what the people that know them are saying, I like both of their coaching and teaching styles. I don't want anyone from the Patriots.

• Like 1

Absolutely cannot have another failure at HC! (BTW, I do not believe Gase was a failure.....YET). 

Another failure will set us back another decade, with that being said, I feel desperate for Jim Harbaugh or bro (not a possibility in my opinion) and feeling very skeptical about a first time HC at this point. Every option is a roll of a dice, but a re-motivated proven HC (Arians, McCarthy etc.) is a lesser risk IMO. 

As stories continue to come out I think Gase's issues were more then wins and losses evidently he had issues keeping unity in the locker room and basically created clicks and players that maybe questioned his style/ways were shipped out, IF these stories have any merit to them trouble will follow him where ever he coaches next and this could be a product of being a first time coach and he learns from his mistakes. It always seemed to me hired and fired based on the his buddy system.

Surprised we haven’t heard anything about completing an interview with Richard today. The Bucs just announced they finished their interview with him.

Maybe it ran long and he/we rescheduled? Or we simply haven’t announced it yet.

Interesting to see which way Ross and Grier will lean towards.

I would also think with Baltimore losing today that the Harbaugh news/rumors will ramp up this week.

If Harbaugh still believes in Flacco I could almost see a package deal for the both of them, not saying I would be over excited but I am just saying.

Edited by Dolphinmeister
  • Like 1

Rumor mill is running overtime right now. Apparently the front runner at this moment is Richard. Per an inside source, Dolphins brass were blown away with his detailed knowledge of the organization, and detailed plan on how to correct problems and move forward. The Dolphins were supposed to interview Rizzi today, but have delayed the interview until later this week, if it does happen at all. The Dolphins brass have went to Ross's home in New Jersey, and may be working on a contract. Dolphins now feel some pressure to try and land their top choice before another team makes an offer. Several beat reporters have said that Ross was allowed by Jones to attend the Dallas game so that Ross could see Richard interact with players on the sideline in a game situation. This is the only candidate that the Dolphins have taken this step with. The Dolphins are reportedly looking for a HC that is a teacher and mentor, that will take the time to develop young talent.