Coaching Change Rumor Thread

cddolphin

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why would we not pursue Fangio?

It appears that Fangio wasn't interested in the Dolphins, and once the Dolphins determined that, they didn't bother interviewing him. So right now, the rumor is that Richard, Flores, and Rizzi are the top choices. Rizzi wasn't interviewed because the Dolphins brass already know him. A second round of interviews are being set up right now, so the coaching search may last beyond this weekend if both Dallas and New England win. In fact, one coach may benefit over the other if their team gets eliminated. If for instance the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, the Dolphins might favor picking another HC they like that is available. This could ultimately help Rizzi, if all things being equal, he can be hired now, instead of waiting for February. It appears that either the Dolphins didn't want a college HC, or that no one was interested, as it has been reported that no other candidates are expected to be interviewed.

18 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

It appears that Fangio wasn't interested in the Dolphins, and once the Dolphins determined that, they didn't bother interviewing him. So right now, the rumor is that Richard, Flores, and Rizzi are the top choices. Rizzi wasn't interviewed because the Dolphins brass already know him. A second round of interviews are being set up right now, so the coaching search may last beyond this weekend if both Dallas and New England win. In fact, one coach may benefit over the other if their team gets eliminated. If for instance the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, the Dolphins might favor picking another HC they like that is available. This could ultimately help Rizzi, if all things being equal, he can be hired now, instead of waiting for February. It appears that either the Dolphins didn't want a college HC, or that no one was interested, as it has been reported that no other candidates are expected to be interviewed.

Of those three, Richard is probably the best case scenario... I like Rizzi but I'm not sure hiring within the organization makes sense, given that I'd prefer we get a whole new staff. Weird that he's not been given an interview though... sure, the Dolphins brass know him, but there are things that they'd likely want to discuss with him regarding the role of HC.

I also heard some buzz about Dennis Allen. He's not considered a top candidate?

Obviously reading that Rizzi has gotten endorsements from almost everyone that ever came through Miami is great.  The problem is he has been in Miami for nearly 10 years.  My one question would be "What relationships do you have with other Coordinators to fill out your staff?"  Only one coordinator that has come through Miami in the last 10 years is worth a look and that's Vance Joseph for DC.  He may not even be available or want to come back.   Not sure he could attract the right staff to make an impact.

Kris Richard seems like the most logical choice at this point.  Young, defensive minded and proven that he can develop players.  I'd be curious to see who he brings in as OC.  He coached as a grad assistant at USC under Carroll.  Don't be surprised if Sarkisian is on the short list for OC.  (Dan Quinn was a Pete Carroll disciple.  Sark got the job in Atl due to that relationship... get where i'm going here?)  He openly admits Pete Carroll is a mentor.  Darrell Bevell is also a strong possibility given his years in Seattle with Richard as well.  

18 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

Obviously reading that Rizzi has gotten endorsements from almost everyone that ever came through Miami is great.  The problem is he has been in Miami for nearly 10 years.  My one question would be "What relationships do you have with other Coordinators to fill out your staff?"  Only one coordinator that has come through Miami in the last 10 years is worth a look and that's Vance Joseph for DC.  He may not even be available or want to come back.   Not sure he could attract the right staff to make an impact.

Kris Richard seems like the most logical choice at this point.  Young, defensive minded and proven that he can develop players.  I'd be curious to see who he brings in as OC.  He coached as a grad assistant at USC under Carroll.  Don't be surprised if Sarkisian is on the short list for OC.  (Dan Quinn was a Pete Carroll disciple.  Sark got the job in Atl due to that relationship... get where i'm going here?)  He openly admits Pete Carroll is a mentor.  Darrell Bevell is also a strong possibility given his years in Seattle with Richard as well.  

Doing some additional digging.... Rizzi and Greg Schiano were at Rutgers together.  Another name he could be dropping as a possible DC.  Coincidence it was announced he would not be returning to OH State??

2 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

Doing some additional digging.... Rizzi and Greg Schiano were at Rutgers together.  Another name he could be dropping as a possible DC.  Coincidence it was announced he would not be returning to OH State??

Our two OSU LB's would prolly like that

Fangio was just hired as the Broncos HC, so we now know why he wasn't interested in Miami. At this point, the Bengals, Jets, and Dolphins are all that is left. I really hope that Dallas looses this weekend, and that the Patriots win. I want fate to nudge the Dolphins towards Richard.  

11 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

Fangio was just hired as the Broncos HC, so we now know why he wasn't interested in Miami. At this point, the Bengals, Jets, and Dolphins are all that is left. I really hope that Dallas looses this weekend, and that the Patriots win. I want fate to nudge the Dolphins towards Richard.  

Richard > Flores

22 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I would definitely prefer Richard over Flores.

With Fangio out of the running (or never in the running) Richard is the last candidate I can truly get excited about.

I love the fact that he is 'cross-trained', so to speak; he has been a DB coach, a DC, as well as a passing-game coordinator.

5 hours ago, cddolphin said:

With Fangio out of the running (or never in the running) Richard is the last candidate I can truly get excited about.

I love the fact that he is 'cross-trained', so to speak; he has been a DB coach, a DC, as well as a passing-game coordinator.

If the Harbaughs are indeed not an option, Kris Richard is the best case scenario at this point.

Of course, I'm not so optimistic he's an improvement over Gase.

Meh. Being a Dolphins fan sucks, sometimes.