Marvin Lewis out in cinci

sdrawkcab321

16 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

This is the end of an era. He was close to getting them over the hump many times. He’s a good coach, IMO. 

Not anymore.  The game passed him by 2-3 years ago, IMO.  The top coaches started to use analytics more, and he was stuck in the past.  He's made some really strange comments in press conferences about analytics.  It's obvious he doesn't understand them.

He also hasn't gotten on board with the new wave of playing players that can make plays, and not worrying as much about mistakes.  You see other teams playing young guys that can make game breaking plays.  He keeps those guys on the bench because he "doesn't trust them" or because "they don't know the playbook".  It's why you get guys like Hardy Nickerson playing 99% of the LB snaps with their mid-round draft picks never seeing the field.

he's also ridiculously conservative.  Would prefer to punt from the opponents 35 on 4th and 1 in most situations.

if he ever coaches again, he has some serious adjustments to make to keep up with modern coaching.  But he's an old dog, and i don't think he can learn those new tricks.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Not anymore.  The game passed him by 2-3 years ago, IMO.  The top coaches started to use analytics more, and he was stuck in the past.  He's made some really strange comments in press conferences about analytics.  It's obvious he doesn't understand them.

He also hasn't gotten on board with the new wave of playing players that can make plays, and not worrying as much about mistakes.  You see other teams playing young guys that can make game breaking plays.  He keeps those guys on the bench because he "doesn't trust them" or because "they don't know the playbook".  It's why you get guys like Hardy Nickerson playing 99% of the LB snaps with their mid-round draft picks never seeing the field.

he's also ridiculously conservative.  Would prefer to punt from the opponents 35 on 4th and 1 in most situations.

if he ever coaches again, he has some serious adjustments to make to keep up with modern coaching.  But he's an old dog, and i don't think he can learn those new tricks.

I'd be really surprised if any team offers him a HC gig, but who knows. At most I see him being hired as a DC. You think he'd be any good at that at this point in time?

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

I'd be really surprised if any team offers him a HC gig, but who knows. At most I see him being hired as a DC. You think he'd be any good at that at this point in time?

i think he could do it, but he's going to run into some of the same problems that i mentioned.  The NFL is doing things much differently now than even 3 years ago.  He's not kept up with any of it.

Plus, i can't imagine him playing 2nd fiddle to anyone after 16 years coaching.

Honestly i think his next logical move is as a front office exec.  I think he'd do well at that.

Just do everyone is aware, Lewis gets a spot on the ring of honor and statue in front of the stadium, that place was an absolute joke before he walked in the door and instantly made them a playoff contender.  When Lewis took over, they had the #1 pick in the draft, and it wasnt even a question what the worst Franchise in the NFL was.  He was criticized for taking the job, as a hot DC name, a minority (before the Rooney rule) people were worried that he would fail, not due to his own fault, but bc of the ineptness of the team from the owner on down.  Cincinatti is respectable again, and yeah they havent won a playoff game, they also havent had the #1 pick for 16 years.  There is a reason why Mike Brown loves Marvin Lewis.

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Just do everyone is aware, Lewis gets a spot on the ring of honor and statue in front of the stadium, that place was an absolute joke before he walked in the door and instantly made them a playoff contender.  When Lewis took over, they had the #1 pick in the draft, and it wasnt even a question what the worst Franchise in the NFL was.  He was criticized for taking the job, as a hot DC name, a minority (before the Rooney rule) people were worried that he would fail, not due to his own fault, but bc of the ineptness of the team from the owner on down.  Cincinatti is respectable again, and yeah they havent won a playoff game, they also havent had the #1 pick for 16 years.  There is a reason why Mike Brown loves Marvin Lewis.

0-7

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

you aren't wrong.. I will always appreciate ole marv for where he brought us from...

but 0-7 and the way the last few years have been shows that it's time for a change.

Archived