Marvin Lewis out in cinci

sdrawkcab321

8 hours ago, otg said:

I don't know how much credit he ever really deserved though...

Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Rudi Johnson, and the offensive line* were already here. He drafted Carson Palmer his first year but that was going to happen no matter what. Steinbach went at the top of the second finishing the line and that's the story of the Bengals success for the years that followed.

We got by on offensive. Our defensive needed to play with a lead to look any good. The defense didn't really look very good until Zimmer was the DC.

Marvin Lewis's success came from an offensive that he inherited and a defense built by someone else. The Bengals were terrible before he arrived, but I don't really see any specific change and say that it was Marvin's doing.

You could literally write the same narrative for every HC out there that's had success.  "It wasn't him, it was the guys around him".

None of us were there - how do you conclude that Lewis had no part in that reformation? 

48 minutes ago, theJ said:

You could literally write the same narrative for every HC out there that's had success.  "It wasn't him, it was the guys around him".

None of us were there - how do you conclude that Lewis had no part in that reformation? 

I conclude that the same way that everyone else on this or any other message board that wasn't there does. Or am I the only armchair quartback here? 

Just the impression that I get.

7 hours ago, otg said:

I conclude that the same way that everyone else on this or any other message board that wasn't there does. Or am I the only armchair quartback here? 

Just the impression that I get.

I remember some of the old newspaper articles from 2003/2004 talking about all the changes Lewis made when he came to Cincinnati.  He did quite a bit to modernize what the Bengals were doing at the time.

He's also responsible for bringing in all those great coordinators you mentioned.

I never got the impression the ship was sailing him.  For all his warts, and for all the character issues that clubhouse has had over the years, he's always been in charge.  And i've never gotten the impression otherwise (that he's lost the clubhouse).

Everyone within the organization credits him for masterminding the turnaround.  Most outside of the organization accept that as fact.  This is the first time i've ever heard someone claim otherwise, so it's a little surprising.

I can't disprove a negative. Yes Marvin did positive things before his first season kicked off. But I don't think it's odd to think that anyone else wouldn't have made those changes. What's odd is that they hadn't happened already. They weren't innovative. They were industry norm. 

His winning percentage is .518, nine more wins than losses. He has an equal number of winning and losing seasons. Seven playoffs out of 16 seasons is arguably just better than chance all things equal. No playoff wins...

Things were so bad before him that average looks good by comparison. 

Sixteen years ago he got us Gatorade and unused jock straps. For that I am grateful. But I don't think that it's at all unreasonable to want a little more.

5 hours ago, otg said:

Sixteen years ago he got us Gatorade and unused jock straps. For that I am grateful. But I don't think that it's at all unreasonable to want a little more.

I don't either.  Your statements just comes across as if going from bottom feeders to average had nothing to Marvin.  

Archived