Vance Joseph Fired as Broncos HC

broncos67

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BTW while only partly related - if ppl were wondering if there was more than DEN to the story of Kubiak returning to the sidelines as an OC...first solid link to another team.  ATL would be a dream landing spot for him.    

I really want to have Kubiak stay in the front office. I don't want Elway leaning on Matt Russell for too much. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Should this or will this be the last coaching hire this current leadership structure will make? I don't just mean Elway but I mean the whole lot, Matt "pour me another drink" Russell and Joe Ellis included.

Interesting thought.

Wow interesting quote from Vance in the Klis article on his termination. Doesn't sound like he was too happy with how he was treated by the fans and the media. 

"I said last night, the easiest thing for me and my family is to move and go coach somewhere else because of the local scrutiny we received. And I don’t read it all, but I get it from Patrick (Smyth, the Broncos' public relations boss) and I get it from people in the community. Some of it’s fair, some of its not fair. The hardest thing would have been to come back and have a chance to fix it."

Being a HC here is tough but doesn't sound like deals with that pressure well. He'll be better off as the DC in Cincinnati were the expectations are much lower. 

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow interesting quote from Vance in the Klis article on his termination. Doesn't sound like he was too happy with how he was treated by the fans and the media. 

Being a HC here is tough but doesn't sound like deals with that pressure well. He'll be better off as the DC in Cincinnati were the expectations are much lower. 

He wasn't given a fair chance here by the fans....we all know that. He wasn't a good HC, but he is right to be pissed at how the fans treated him. 

The Broncos reputation league wide is probably in pretty rough shape right now. 

5 minutes ago, champ11 said:

He wasn't given a fair chance here by the fans....we all know that. He wasn't a good HC, but he is right to be pissed at how the fans treated him. 

The Broncos reputation league wide is probably in pretty rough shape right now. 

That's true, almost every one I talk to, from casual fans to the well-informed, wanted Kyle last go around.

I wonder what the fan base mood would be right now if we had Kyle here with an 11-21 record. 

Does anybody know why coaches can interview during the playoffs? I know they have to have a bye week but it still doesn't make sense to me. Seems like it is taking away their focus on the current opponent. Why not just have a rule that no one can interview an employed coach until after the super bowl?

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's true, almost every one I talk to, from casual fans to the well-informed, wanted Kyle last go around.

I wonder what the fan base mood would be right now if we had Kyle here with an 11-21 record. 

Elway and Ellis would be taking way more heat and Shanahan would still have the job, IMO. 

Vance deserved to get fired and was a poor head coach, but he is getting a bit scapegoated. Shanahan would most likely not have a winning record here either although I expect the product would have been significantly better. 

The whole situation is messed up. Shanahan's team has been honest with themselves about the rebuild process and the Broncos have not.....and as a result the Broncos set themselves back and have created a cluster****** of a situation 

4 minutes ago, sportcourt7 said:

Does anybody know why coaches can interview during the playoffs? I know they have to have a bye week but it still doesn't make sense to me. Seems like it is taking away their focus on the current opponent. Why not just have a rule that no one can interview an employed coach until after the super bowl?

If they're one of the teams on the bye they can interview this week. So we knock out that Rooney Rule interview with Flores right away. The guys on staffs whose teams are playing this week we will have to wait until they're eliminated. 

Barnwell is one of the most respected NFL media guys out there. So yeah, like I said regarding the Broncos reputation league wide. 

The national media and league as a whole will probably have a different interpretation of the Vance firing than we will as fans. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If they're one of the teams on the bye they can interview this week. So we knock out that Rooney Rule interview with Flores right away. The guys on staffs whose teams are playing this week we will have to wait until they're eliminated. 

But why? It seems to me it would be most fair if no coaches were allowed to interview until after the super bowl. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

Barnwell is one of the most respected NFL media guys out there. So yeah, like I said regarding the Broncos reputation league wide. 

The national media and league as a whole will probably have a different interpretation of the Vance firing than we will as fans. 

Mike Silver, who is a jerk, was borderline despondent this morning on NFLN about us firing Vance. 

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Some more news, also according to Klis, is that the team wants to retain DL coach Bill Kollar, RBs coach Curtis Modkins, DB coach Greg Williams, WR coach Zach Azzanni, OL coaches Chris Strausser and Sean Kugler, QB coach Mike Sullivan and offensive assistant Klink Kubiak. 

Really, that was the most important aspect - keeping the trench coaches.  They did the best work.    The only major negative to firing VJ would have been if we lost Kollar / Modkin / Kugler & Strausser.  If we don't lose them, then most of the potential harm from a VJ firing is removed. 

The fact Elway wants to keep Sullivan really reinforces the belief that Keenum isn't likely to be going anywhere.    For better or worse, they're likely keeping that pair intact for 2019.  It's just a question of who's coming in for back-up/competition (early draft pick, more of a developmental/backup type draft pick, or a FA flyer).  

Archived