Vance Joseph Fired as Broncos HC

broncos67

52 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah....I just think it will be easy for pundits and people in NFL circles to look at the QBs Vance was handed and see that Elway has absolutely blown the QB decisions and Vance got fired after being completely dragged by the fans. As fans we know how poor Vance was in different areas as a head coach, but the Broncos ceiling talent wise for both of these seasons was probably 8 wins and not the playoffs. The optics to end this season aren't great considering the Broncos *did* get back in the playoff picture and then lost 2 of their 3 best players. Even though I still don't think they get to 9 or 10 wins with those guys. 

Here's the reality of the situation we're in:

1. The Broncos do not have a franchise QB. They have a bottom 5 QB that in all likelihood will be the starter week 1 2019. Elway has missed 3x on getting a quality QB.

2. John Elway gave out extensions and made draft choices that made the Broncos a poor team outside of the QB position and the organization still had playoff expectations. It's still a pretty damn thin team across the board.

3. The HC got fired after showing improvement in year 2 with a bad team. He was a poor coach, but this is a fact. The expectations were much higher than the reality of the situation the Broncos were in.

4. The ownership of the franchise is up in the air. Potential HCs will meet with Ellis and Elway.

5. The Broncos will probably not be paying top dollar with money still owed to Vance and the information that we know they let Phillips walk due to money.

Let me know if I'm forgetting anything. Positives are the cap situation seems to be clearing up a bit and Elway absolutely nailed his last draft. We still are the Broncos, but I'm not sure if the previously listed factors overcome that yet. 

We're screwed.  I really say cut ties with Keenum, hire Matt Lefleur as head coach. Only sign value  free agents that can be here long term. Nail the draft. Start a young qb we draft in the mid rounds. Draft an elite qb in 2020. 

That's the fastest way to solve prime time games, contention, etc. I'll take a year of hell and transition for a polished diamond at the end. Rather than meddling middle of the pack no qb, average head coach franchise which is the direction I feel its heading. 

We're screwed.  I really say cut ties with Keenum, hire Matt Lefleur as head coach. Only sign value  free agents that can be here long term. Nail the draft. Start a young qb we draft in the mid rounds. Draft an elite qb in 2020.

I would love taking this direction. Hell, draft a handful of middle round QB's and let them compete for the starting spot. Maybe we hit the jackpot. Maybe we suck and get a really, really high draft pick.

Both those scenarios are better than sticking with Case.

As much as Lafleur would fit the bill to be an O mind that could overhaul the O, it sounds like Elway is going for candidates with a fair amount of experience (Flores fulfills the Rooney Rule, the only exception).    The candidates mentioned so far are Munchak, Fangio, Pagano & waiting on Flores.   The fact they haven't asked on Lafleur, if we don't hear in the next 1-2 days, not a good sign for his chances.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As much as Lafleur would fit the bill to be an O mind that could overhaul the O, it sounds like Elway is going for candidates with a fair amount of experience (Flores fulfills the Rooney Rule, the only exception).    The candidates mentioned so far are Munchak, Fangio, Pagano & waiting on Flores.   The fact they haven't asked on Lafleur, if we don't hear in the next 1-2 days, not a good sign for his chances.

Well elway said It's gonna be extensive well have to see but so far I agree with you. 

17 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would love taking this direction. Hell, draft a handful of middle round QB's and let them compete for the starting spot. Maybe we hit the jackpot. Maybe we suck and get a really, really high draft pick.

Both those scenarios are better than sticking with Case.

Its also good for business and longterm a year of sucking for a franchise qb who puts butts in the seats and gets you prime time games it makes sens. And fans will watch the young qbs over Case.

The time to go with the untested, hotshot young guy was the last coaching search. Instead we hired Vance, who was no one’s radar but our own (thanks, Matt Russell). 

Now they have to go the safe route or it’s going to be Ellis, Elway and Russell’s heads that will be called for (even more loudly than they are currently). Another debacle will give Bill Bowlen & Co. more ammo to, at the very least, be a major distraction and thorn in the side of the franchise. Even today after the press conference he released a statement blasting the current leadership. 

Given the consideration that we almost have to go the safe route, and how forcefully Elway talked about experience today, I think we can (sadly) cross LaFleur off the list. 

It’s going to be a retread veteran or an older long-time coordinator. What worries me about an older coordinator is that they are likely to have interviewed and/or had opportunities for promotion to HC in the past but were never chosen, which should raise a red flag. 

5 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Vic Fangio is an interesting candidate. Heras to be one of the best defensive minds out there. What could he do with Von, Chubb, and CHJ? And a solid CB 2 opposite CHJ? Plus, he seems to demand a degree of respect from players.

We go defensive head coach I want jim schwartz all the way.  He's matured a lot and he's still young. The way he's coaching that depleted eagles d is a thing of beauty.  Really follows that next man up approach and I believe being under dough pederson will help.

5 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Vic Fangio is an interesting candidate. Heras to be one of the best defensive minds out there. What could he do with Von, Chubb, and CHJ? And a solid CB 2 opposite CHJ? Plus, he seems to demand a degree of respect from players.

Apparently he interviews terribly. 

Fangio is a little too “old school” for me;  seems like one of those “rah-rah, lets be aggressive” guys but one who doesn’t have a great deal of imagination or creativity. He’s the type who’d be a good head coach in 1995 but is not really with it enough to be a good head coach in 2019. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Apparently he interviews terribly. 

Fangio is a little too “old school” for me;  seems like one of those “rah-rah, lets be aggressive” guys but one who doesn’t have a great deal of imagination or creativity. He’s the type who’d be a good head coach in 1995 but is not really with it enough to be a good head coach in 2019. 

But, you'd love him as the DC, right?

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Is there a real option out there at QB? Foles or Tannehill via a trade? One of options in the draft? I don't see it. 

I'll say it again, I think they're going to go with an older candidate who possibly has experience as a HC or at the very least a long resume as a coordinator. I think that coach will have a defensive background and Gary Kubiak will be the OC, and probably the most powerful OC in the league. If anyone can get anything out of Keenum it would be Kubiak. 

This is the safe, conservative route. That is what the powers that be will believe this franchise needs right now. It will be viewed as a positive to be playing meaningful football in December, have a chance at a Wild Card spot, and return to a level of respectability. We won't be elite and probably won't be playing in or winning Super Bowls in the near future. But we also won't be a joke and have a team that is booed off the field by a half-empty stadium. Ellis won't be able to survive the next decade-plus until he's ready to let Brittany Bowlen take over (and get his golden parachute) if we can't field a team that is at least in the playoff conversation in weeks 15-17. 

I think you're right on the money.

Archived