Vance Joseph Fired as Broncos HC

broncos67

25 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think the retread hires look just as bad as the unknowns this year. What retread hire even looks appealing or old assistant.  There's a reason these guys haven't gotten opportunities or got canned.

That is the problem -

Elway was asked about Mike Shanahan - and said 'not at this time' - now I suspect that Shanahan's 'not at this time' is different to the Gase answer. Elway will do a search and maybe just decide that the 'not at this time' is over and it becomes 'at this time' because of the lack of potential HCs available.

I am glad to see that Elway seemed definitive that Kubiak will be around next season in some capacity. Makes me suspect that the next HC will have a defensive background (if its not Shanahan).

If Elway really wants to keep Kubiak here (to run the offence?), Dave Toub could be a great hire. I really like the CEO-type head coaches, who let their coordinators run their schemes and generally only worry about game management on Sundays. Ideally you’d really like an established, respected DC as well, but maybe you could convince Pagano to take the job if he strikes out on HC opportunities? Toub won’t cost a lot, so some of that savings could go towards Pagano. 

33 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If Elway really wants to keep Kubiak here (to run the offence?), Dave Toub could be a great hire. I really like the CEO-type head coaches, who let their coordinators run their schemes and generally only worry about game management on Sundays. Ideally you’d really like an established, respected DC as well, but maybe you could convince Pagano to take the job if he strikes out on HC opportunities? Toub won’t cost a lot, so some of that savings could go towards Pagano. 

Toub has had a few interviews the last handful of years, including here, but hasn’t gotten any offers. That’s got to be kind of a red flag, no? He was also the last choice of ours two years ago, after Vance and Kyle, so I don’t think he’s a realistic option.

From what I know, however, I am with you. I think he would be a good hire.  

Happy (early) New Year from across the pond! 

HC:

1) Harbaugh

2) Pagano

3) Toub

The CEO-type Vance should have been. 

OC: Kubiak 

Best to keep the offensive system relatively stable and maximize our very unstable bridge QB Keenum into 2020. 

DC: Bowles

Wet dreams in the making. Quiet authority and coordination-wise last known for an aggressive 3-4 during his days with BA in AZ.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I think the retread hires look just as bad as the unknowns this year. What retread hire even looks appealing or old assistant.  There's a reason these guys haven't gotten opportunities or got canned.

I don’t think that applies in all cases. It depends upon which retread and which unknown. You have look at their resumes, pedigree, experience, etc.

For example, I don’t like Mike Smith or Jim Caldwell as a retreads just like I don’t like Brian Flores or Zac Taylor as unknowns.

Conversely, I could get on board with Mike McCarthy (retread) or Matt LaFleur (unknown). 

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Toub has had a few interviews the last handful of years, including here, but hasn’t gotten any offers. That’s got to be kind of a red flag, no? He was also the last choice of ours two years ago, after Vance and Kyle, so I don’t think he’s a realistic option.

From what I know, however, I am with you. I think he would be a good hire.  

It might be a red flag, but maybe he was the runner up for multiple jobs? Only one team wins the Super Bowl every year, ya know? 

3 minutes ago, BroncoinGermany said:

According to Tom Pelissero, Broncos have requested to interview Rams QB coach Zac Taylor. Don’t know what to make of that one. 

Casting a wide net. I see it as a positive. 

That said, hiring someone so young, so inexperienced and who has never called plays is not something with which I’d be terribly comfortable. Given what Elway said today about valuing experience Taylor would have have a blow away great interview. But we’ve already requested interviews with two-times as many candidates as we did last time. That’s a good thing and I’m happy to see it. 

Building on what I just said, I think winning the Super Bowl gave Elway & Co. a big shot of arrogance and they, for want of a better term, half-assed it for a couple years.

These multiple mistakes in coaching hires and player evaluation could have humbled them, and that’s a good thing. Elway today looked like a more-comfortable version of Elway the GM in 2011 not the arrogant Elway circa 2016. 

16 minutes ago, BroncoinGermany said:

According to Tom Pelissero, Broncos have requested to interview Rams QB coach Zac Taylor. Don’t know what to make of that one. 

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Casting a wide net. I see it as a positive. 

That said, hiring someone so young, so inexperienced and who has never called plays is not something with which I’d be terribly comfortable. Given what Elway said today about valuing experience Taylor would have have a blow away great interview. But we’ve already requested interviews with two-times as many candidates as we did last time. That’s a good thing and I’m happy to see it. 

I think it's a good sign that Elway isn't pidgeonholing himself to the retreads.   He should be exploring every avenue.  Since his methods haven't been working well of late, he should be open to different ideas.  It worked wonders in the 2018 draft to get away from his comfort zone.  It doesn't mean he has to hire Taylor, but don't lock yourself out of available options just because of preconceived notions that haven't served you well.

I know no one wants Patriots assistants and Flores may be more of a Rooney Rule interview than anything.  I’ll give Flores this, though, he literally worked his *** off to get to where he’s at and didn’t get there based on name or connections.  He started out as an assistant scout, which is one of the most thankless and grueling jobs there is for a franchise.  He then became a pro scout, then special teams assistant, then offensive assistant, then safeties coach, linebackers coach, and now defensive coordinator.

Say what you will, but he must be doing something right and clearly isn’t afraid to take on and do one hell of a job at anything placed in front of him.

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I know no one wants Patriots assistants and Flores may be more of a Rooney Rule interview than anything.  I’ll give Flores this, though, he literally worked his *** off to get to where he’s at and didn’t get there based on name or connections.  He started out as an assistant scout, which is one of the most thankless and grueling jobs there is for a franchise.  He then became a pro scout, then special teams assistant, then offensive assistant, then safeties coach, linebackers coach, and now defensive coordinator.

Say what you will, but he must be doing something right and clearly isn’t afraid to take on and do one hell of a job at anything placed in front of him.

I think hes been bill Bellichecks ttue pupul throughout the years.

Archived