Vance Joseph Fired as Broncos HC

broncos67

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Vic Lombardi saying the HC candidate will be someone with prior HC experience. 

Mike McCarthy, Mike Munchak, Ken Whisenhunt, Bruce Arians, Jim Caldwell, Jim Schwartz, Chuck Pagano all seemingly fit the bill, if that is the route we take.

You have to be careful with Lombardi. He says what he thinks should happen or attempts to predict what will happen and makes it sound like reporting. 

That said, I think they are going to take a long look at guys with prior HC experience. Chuck Pagano is someone I've long thought would be considered. He is originally from Boulder (Matt Russell will like that) and has tied to the community that go way back. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Should this or will this be the last coaching hire this current leadership structure will make? I don't just mean Elway but I mean the whole lot, Matt "pour me another drink" Russell and Joe Ellis included.

Ellis isn't going anywhere until the ownership thing is settled.

For Elway/Russell and Co, the answer should be yes. Obviously Elway bought himself some well-deserved leash with the performance of this team early in his tenure and of course the SB victory. But things have been downright bad for awhile both personnel, draft and coaching wise. A lot of that is on Elway. In my mind, he can't afford to botch BOTH the draft, QB choice AND coach again. It's just too ineffective at that point.

Just now, broncos67 said:

For Elway/Russell and Co, the answer should be yes. Obviously Elway bought himself some well-deserved leash with the performance of this team early in his tenure and of course the SB victory. But things have been downright bad for awhile both personnel, draft and coaching wise. A lot of that is on Elway. In my mind, he can't afford to botch BOTH the draft, QB choice AND coach again. It's just too ineffective at that point.

Agreed. 

It doesn't appear as if they're going to make many changes to the front office, Matt Russell must know where the bodies are buried. It's troubling because it has been reported that Russell was a driving force behind the decision to hire Vance because of their CU ties. That alone, forget all of his other foul ups, should be cause for his termination. I'd wager that it's penny-pincher Joe Ellis probably not wanting to pay out his contract and then have to pay someone else that is at least somewhat behind that decision. 

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Yeah the amount of vitriol towards Vance in Broncos country is pretty embarrassing, IMO. He's a problem, but far from the main one. Elway is the one that hired him. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

Yeah the amount of vitriol towards Vance in Broncos country is pretty embarrassing, IMO. He's a problem, but far from the main one. Elway is the one that hired him. 

He was a pretty major problem but firing him and replacing him with someone, even if we get the best possible candidate (John Harbaugh), won't fix every problem with this team. Honestly I don't think this franchise is going to be 100% right until we get a real owner and Ellis is kicked to the curb. 

That’s not really a realistic question.  If they get another Vance and suffer 2 more losing seasons with teams that are woefully unprepared to play, then yes.  But if they get a John Fox, get the team back to the playoffs, and are trying to “get over the hump”,then no.  

I actually think finding a QB in the next 2 years will be the make or break for Elway.  Nobody will give a hoot about the HC if we get Tua in the draft next year (for example).  Similarly, I’m not sure it matters who you bring in to coach if we get more of Lynch/Siemien/Keenum at QB.

The head coach search will be interesting.  The search for a QB (between now and 2020) will ultimately determine the success of this franchise and, ultimately, Elway’s fate (and likely legacy as a GM).

8 minutes ago, champ11 said:

As much as I think VJ was a complete failure as a HC - the fact is, Elway chose him over Kyle Shanahan.   Elway has earned himself a good amount of leash, and it's deserved.   He's just using up a fair amount of it - whiffing on QB 3x, and now HC as badly as he did, there's only so much leash you can get.  

I do agree that the next QB we choose will be as crucial as the next HC.  But it's possible to hamstring the team badly with either choice.   And in both cases, Elway whiffed hard in both cases.   First, it was Joseph over Kyle Shanahan.  Then, Keenum over pretty much any other choice available to us.  I mean, I think we can all agree Keenum was about the worst possible decision out of all the options available to us, and what's worse is that Elway wasn't left holding the bag - he went out on Day 1 and got him once his overtures for Cousins failed.    It wasn't like he got stuck with Keenum as the last QB standing with musical chairs, this was a target that he and Kubiak wanted.   That's entirely on Elway & Kubiak, and that's now 3 big whiffs (I don't hold Siemian against them, he was better than Lynch, and that was the choice they were given when they went with Lynch).   The 4th one is one that likely sinks Elway if it's as bad as the first 3 have been.

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He was a pretty major problem but firing him and replacing him with someone, even if we get the best possible candidate (John Harbaugh), won't fix every problem with this team. Honestly I don't think this franchise is going to be 100% right until we get a real owner and Ellis is kicked to the curb. 

No doubt. I think if you replace Vance with a replacement level coach this season...say a Chuck Pagano...I think we're still a 6-8 win team. Shrug 

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm not at all surprised to see Adam Gase fall on his face in Miami and get fired today. Just another example in a long ling of hot coordinator who rode coattails of a HOF QB and then can't replicate that success elsewhere. Throw in his McDaniels-like abrasive personality, pettiness and childishness and it's no surprise to see him canned. Miami is one step closer to a Super Bowl today. 

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

No doubt. I think if you replace Vance with a replacement level coach this season...say a Chuck Pagano...I think we're still a 6-8 win team. Shrug 

I just hope they really do their homework this time, go in with an open mind, interview the candidates multiple times, make a sound decision.

The last two coaching hires felt like forgone conclusions with Kubiak and Vance. I remember before Kubiak was hired there were a few candidates who just simply refused interviews as it was an open secret the job was going to go to Gary. In Woody Paige's big story on Elway/Ellis falling out, he reported that the team had their hearts set on Vance before they started interviews but that Kyle tuned in such a strong performance it gave Elway a moment of pause and he seriously considered going that route before coming back to Vance. 

Archived