Vance Joseph Fired as Broncos HC

broncos67

1 minute ago, sportcourt7 said:

But why? It seems to me it would be most fair if no coaches were allowed to interview until after the super bowl. 

It's to strike a balance between allowing guys to further their careers but not distract them from their current job. If you're preparing for a playoff game this weekend, you need to focus your energies there. If you have two weeks until you play again, you can take a day and a half to interview. 

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Some more news, also according to Klis, is that the team wants to retain DL coach Bill Kollar, RBs coach Curtis Modkins, DB coach Greg Williams, WR coach Zach Azzanni, OL coaches Chris Strausser and Sean Kugler, QB coach Mike Sullivan and offensive assistant Klink Kubiak

Interesting that basically all the position coaches are mentioned but not co-ordinators. I’d imagine the new HC will want to bring in his own co-ordinators and in turn, they’ll want to bring in their own position coaches.

This could make our co-ordinator vacancies way less attractive. 

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Barnwell is one of the most respected NFL media guys out there. So yeah, like I said regarding the Broncos reputation league wide. 

The national media and league as a whole will probably have a different interpretation of the Vance firing than we will as fans. 

I think the biggest issue isn't that VJ shouldn't have been fired - it's that Elway seems to be getting no heat.  Or at least should be shouldering more of the blame.    It's hard not to see their point.

To me, Elway's power is one key issue with any HC hire - it's hard to see the top HC candidates see us as plan A - because not only do we lack a real QB to build off of, but Elway's level of control is going to be suffocating for a lot of top hires.  Now, I absolutely believe that a HC should be a coach first and foremost - but they will want to have some input in personnel (but not final say) where they excel in.   I think that's a huge obstacle to us hiring a great O mind - they have to be willing to cede O personnel full control to Elway.   

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Interesting that basically all the position coaches are mentioned but not co-ordinators. I’d imagine the new HC will want to bring in his own co-ordinators and in turn, they’ll want to bring in their own position coaches.

Possibly. However, its not carved in stone that we keep the aforementioned position coaches, it's just that we would like to retain them. I don't think it would be a deal-breaker for either side. 

4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

When a new HC gets hired, it's rare to not turn over the coordinators.  But keeping guys at the 2nd level, it's not that unusual.   I don't know that we should be attached to all those coaches, but Kollar & Kugler/Strausser seem like no-brainers to retain.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I think the biggest issue isn't that VJ shouldn't have been fired - it's that Elway seems to be getting no heat.  Or at least should be shouldering more of the blame.    It's hard not to see their point.

To me, Elway's power is one key issue with any HC hire - it's hard to see the top HC candidates see us as plan A - because not only do we lack a real QB to build off of, but Elway's level of control is going to be suffocating for a lot of top hires.  Now, I absolutely believe that a HC should be a coach first and foremost - but they will want to have some input in personnel (but not final say) where they excel in.   I think that's a huge obstacle to us hiring a great O mind - they have to be willing to cede O personnel full control to Elway.   

I also think it will depend upon who the HC hire ultimately is. I think, for example, John Harbaugh would be better able to influence Elway than Matt LaFleur would be. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I also think it will depend upon who the HC hire ultimately is. I think, for example, John Harbaugh would be better able to influence Elway than Matt LaFleur would be. 

Yeah, but Harbaugh's a major no-go if the words "high draft pick(s)" are involved.   We're not that good of a team to give up the one asset that's key to our rebuild, far more than our next HC will be.

Just now, Broncofan said:

Yeah, but Harbaugh's a major no-go if the words "high draft pick(s)" are involved.   We're not that good of a team to give up the one asset that's key to our rebuild, far more than our next HC will be.

Elway just said trading picks for a HC is a possibility, he said everything is under consideration. 

Only names he has ruled out as candidates are Mike Shanahan and Adam Gase. He praised Mike but was pretty terse when he said no to Gase. Thank God on both accounts. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Moreover, my Broncos beat reporter friend said the feeling among those like him who are well-connected is that John Harbaugh is No. 1 on the list by a wide margin but acquiring him may prove unfeasible. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Elway just said trading picks for a HC is a possibility, he said everything is under consideration. 

Only names he has ruled out as candidates are Mike Shanahan and Adam Gase. He praised Mike but was pretty terse when he said no to Gase. Thank God on both accounts. 

He knows as well as we do that Gase is a complete fraud. 

15 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Barnwell is one of the most respected NFL media guys out there. So yeah, like I said regarding the Broncos reputation league wide. 

The national media and league as a whole will probably have a different interpretation of the Vance firing than we will as fans. 

Barnwell and Klemko (who I love) are both shilling for Joseph right now. It's like a broken record. Elway deserves a lot of criticism. But as I said to Barnwell on Twitter, it's ridiculous to act as if it's not possible that Elway has been a mediocre GM AND Joseph is a bad coach.

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I take back what I said about the HC hire not being as important as the QB we choose if Elway actually trades high picks for the next HC.   Man.

The immediate no on Gase doesn't surprise me in the least, there's really, really, really bad blood there.   Short-kicking up 28 points last year was kind of the icing on the cake there lol.

Just now, broncos67 said:

Barnwell and Klemko (who I love) are both shilling for Joseph right now. It's like a broken record. Elway deserves a lot of criticism. But as I said to Barnwell on Twitter, it's ridiculous to act as if it's not possible that Elway has been a mediocre GM AND Joseph is a bad coach.

Joseph is clearly a member of the old boys drinking club that half the media and a bunch of NFL coaches are part of, given that a bunch of national media guys are white-knighting the worst Broncos head coach in living memory (on the basic that McDaniels the GM sold out McDaniels the coach)

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

Joseph is clearly a member of the old boys drinking club that half the media and a bunch of NFL coaches are part of, given that a bunch of national media guys are white-knighting the worst Broncos head coach in living memory (on the basic that McDaniels the GM sold out McDaniels the coach)

Mac was a bigger disaster for the franchise as a whole but to act as if he was a bad GM and a good coach is a false narrative that for some reason just won't die. 

I will say this, at least Mac came in here knowing what he wanted to do - he was just totally inept at executing it minus Tom Brady and his personality is not what a HC's should be - but at least he had a plan. Vance didn't have a clue what he wanted to do. 

Archived