2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

Just now, wwhickok said:

The first step in getting Chris Harris in my opinion is acquiring Vance Joseph

I don't think so TBH.  Chris Harris can be traded.

I would be calling up right now talking with John Elway about a 4th, tell him I'm willing to do more.  Maybe something based on play.  And I would extend Harris 3 years.  Still draft a corner high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I don't think so TBH.  Chris Harris can be traded.

I would be calling up right now talking with John Elway about a 4th, tell him I'm willing to do more.  Maybe something based on play.  And I would extend Harris 3 years.  Still draft a corner high.

The only reason I say that is because I think getting Vance Joseph as a defensive coordinator might be incentive for Chris Harris in negotiating a new deal

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The only reason I say that is because I think getting Vance Joseph as a defensive coordinator might be incentive for Chris Harris in negotiating a new deal

Meh.  Maybe.  Reading that doesn't really sound like that though.  I think he just sees it as he needs a new town.

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

No brainer.

While Chris Harris would be nice, heavily relying on two 30-year-old cornerbacks (if even for just a year) troubles me for some reason. Even if you ignore that, it stunts Hilton's growth as Harris' strength is playing the slot in Nickel situations. It essentially takes Hilton off the field.

1 minute ago, BlaqOptic said:

While Chris Harris would be nice, heavily relying on two 30-year-old cornerbacks (if even for just a year) troubles me for some reason. Even if you ignore that, it stunts Hilton's growth as Harris' strength is playing the slot in Nickel situations. It essentially takes Hilton off the field.

Who gives a crap about Hilton's growth.  Honestly.  He blitzed 40% of the time and had the highest passer rating against of all our CB's.

• Like 1

Also in terms of moves that can (and should) be made:

Marcus Gilbert - The combo of Feiler and Chucky Oak performed really well in his place.  We would save nearly $5mil in releasing him.  He' been really injury prone his entire career.

Bud Dupree - Bud had not improved, and was given the 5th year option.  Given he was not injured, his 5th year option was not guaranteed.  Cutting him would save $9.2 million on the cap.

Morgan Burnett - He was on and off the field, and when he was on he might as well have been off.  Did not provide anything and 3rd year man Sean Davis along with rookie Terrell Edmunds played a greater number of snaps with no difference in production.  Cutting Burnett would result in a $3.6mil savings.

Those three cuts alone would save $17.8 million on the cap for the Steelers, and can be paired with the $14.5mi rollover from Bell to add an additional $32.3 mil in cap space for 2019.