2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

Ben has always suffered from FavoriteReceiveritis. Going back to Ward, every season he would go to one receiver more than any other, regardless of coverage and play call.

Last season was a bit odd in that he seemed to favor JuJu more, but time and again forced balls to AB. Was that out of sense of loyalty? Trying to keep AB happy despite the drama?

This upcoming season, I think the unquestioned go-to-guy will be JuJu. It will be interesting to see how well Motcrief blends in, as well as how much Washington develops.

Edited by cjfollett
typos

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Whether any of us like it or not Ben Roethlisberger has shown clear signs of the decline he is not getting better as he gets older.

So let's start the Mason Rudolph era over $5M to make it more team friendly?

Maybe I am digging too into your original comment, but I do not understand slighting a guy because he didn't take a team friendly deal you wish he woulda have taken when no one does that. Decline or not, turnover or not, the deal he is signing is very much in line with the going rate. 

24 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I would argue it was poor decision making that led to turnovers and the volume arguement is an excuse.

Not really though, poor decisions have always marked part of his game. The turnovers...that's nothing new. Bens interception rate over his career is 2.7%. Last year was at 2.4, lower than the previous three years actually. There are actually only 3 years total during his career that are better than those numbers for last year. So if your argument for not paying him the going rate of a top QB is because of turnovers....we should have stopped paying Ben long, long ago. Volume is an excuse to why the numbers matched a career high, but in terms of percentage which is a much better analytic for judging the seasons -- he was actually improved last year. 

He is showing signs of decline. He is also the hands down best shot we have at winning a super bowl without getting ridiculously lucky and stumbling upon the next Aaron Rogers type Qb drafting scenario.

• Like 3

See I'm calling BS. Numerous interceptions last year especially pretty much every single one in the Cleveland Browns game was a result of him trying to force the ball into a spot that he should never have thrown it to in the first place. And you're definitely digging too far into my comments about Ben's contract. I'm not expecting him to take a team-friendly deal. I am expecting the team to stop giving him extensions and stop giving him money. Mason Rudolph may not be the guy just like Landry Jones wasn't Joshua Joshua Dobbs wasn't Dennis Dixon wasn't name that quarterback that we drafted since we've drafted Ben Roethlisberger and we've gotten nothing worth mentioning as far as results. Having said that I personally and ready to move on from Ben Roethlisberger regardless of the results. I'm so beyond tired of hearing the apologetic banter for Ben Roethlisberger costing us games due to untimely interceptions and he wasn't even the biggest issue last year so I'm not saying that he was but most of the interceptions that occurred last year were not because of how often he was throwing the ball it was because of the decision and was being made when he chose to throw the ball where he chose to throw the ball to who he attempted to throw the ball.

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

See I'm calling BS

Calling BS on what? That the numbers i provided weren't legit? That he hasnt been the guy that has a handful of bone headed throws a game his entire career? Or that there is no difference between throwing 16 interceptions when you throw the football 400 times vs throwing 16 interceptions throwing 650 times? Because I am not sure how you find any of those comments to be BS....

Yes, The Cleveland game is an example. But we can find those games going all the way back to his rookie year. Thats him. He hasn't changed. You point to regression in an area he actually improved in last year based on hard numbers. Im not sure what you really want. He has 46 multi-interception games. Its not some new trend he decided to start with old age. 

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I am expecting the team to stop giving him extensions and stop giving him money.

So, you want to stop winning? Weird. 

16 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

but most of the interceptions that occurred last year were not because of how often he was throwing the ball it was because of the decision and was being made when he chose to throw the ball where he chose to throw the ball to who he attempted to throw the ball.

Choosing now to highlight this is just strange because again....this is no different than his entire career. He does FAR greater good than bad. He wins us more games by FAR than he loses us. 

This is the guy he has been his whole career. Before AB, before Fitchners offense, before everything. Its been his game. Im going to say this...he WILL throw double digit interceptions. He WILL throw it right into the gut of a linebacker he didnt see. He WILL have a 3+ interception game.....but he will also keep us in all 16 games and he will keep us contending for the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Having said that I personally and ready to move on from Ben Roethlisberger regardless of the results.

I do understand this, but its a risk you take stepping out of the plane with no idea of if you even have a parachute. Far too many Ryan Tannehills in comparisons to Ben Roethlisbergers. You can check out my post history past, I drove the bus a lot of the "Is Ben the problem?" bandwagon. But at his current level of play, I have no interest in finding out whats in the deep abyss of changing that guard. 

• Like 2

Just keep in mind, if Dee Ford doesn't jump offside, Brady throws game ending INT vs. KC. Brady threw a horrible INT versus the Steelers. Yet, Brady hoisted the Lombardi because his team got the breaks and they took advantage of them.

JuJu -- as great as he played in '18 -- fumbled in the New Orleans game.  Conner fumbled against the Broncos I think -- or was it the Chargers?

Point is, football is and always will be a team game. Right now, Ben gives the Steelers team the best chance at another Superbowl. Maybe that is not the case in '20 or even as '19 plays out. We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 2

considering the alternatives that we can access to replace Ben in the short and long term I  am not willing to turn the page just yet. I think the contract is fair market value for a top 10 franchise qb who gives us a shot to compete. I am not ready to go through the next Bubby Brister experiment because those night terrors still exist all  these years later.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Whether any of us like it or not Ben Roethlisberger has shown clear signs of the decline he is not getting better as he gets older.

Okay...what's the alternative?  I'm eagerly anticipating your genius plan that suddenly makes Ben expendable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Okay...what's the alternative?  I'm eagerly anticipating your genius plan that suddenly makes Ben expendable.

first of all I never said he was expendable. Second of all there is no genius plan for moving on from Ben Roethlisberger. No matter when it happens it's going to be a rough transition. I just like people that truly acknowledge how bad Ben Roethlisberger played at times last year and how the volume wasn't really the problem when it came to the interceptions because the reality is it wasn't the volume it was the guy making the decisions to throw the ball in the first place. I also feel like and yes I'm aware that these opportunities but when we do have big leads in the third and fourth quarter I really feel like we need to expose Mason Rudolph to actual endgame action. I don't know if he is the guy I don't know if he is a player that will take over for Ben and be the next guy for the next 10 years. What I do know is that we have to find out sooner rather than later

Yea, include me in the 'nothing was really different' camp.

Also when talking about it with him, keep in mind when he was under center a bunch this year he was doing just fine, Conner was rolling, and we had an effecting red zone game.  Then Ben broke the pointer finger on his left hand.  We went predominately shotgun, Conner slowed down, Ben started making mistakes because our offense became more predictable.  Some of it was Ben being Ben, but understanding what was going on with the offense can inform us.

And guess what?  We also have the 4-5 game stretch back to his rookie year where some injury forces us into the shotgun at times.  And every year we see that stretch happen and comments happen of "is he washed up" the last 6 years.

So some with better IMO than "its not that he threw picks its when he threw them".  Because of the above and there's no good time to throw a pick.