2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I believe the Steelers are going to be a better team this year. Maybe that's the homer in me talking but I think they will still have a top 10 Offense. An Offense that doesn't rely on the explosive play so much but a more conservative/ball control style that has the ability to explode from time to time. I believe the locker room will become a strength instead of a divisive weakness. I think STs will be improved upon as it relates to coverage, return yards and kicking. While the Defense will continue to be the weakest link, with Baron and Bush, they seem to have plugged the gaping hole that was previously held by arthritic slugs. The secondary has been improved upon with Nelson and perhaps Layne and a year of experience for Edmunds and Davis. It may or may not be well known, but I am usually more of a pessimist when it comes to my beloved Steelers. I am more likely to point out their weaknesses then their strengths but this year it feels different. It's a new era. The days of the "Killer B's" are over. I'm excited for what's to come. At least 10-6 with a serious run for the Title imo. 

I’ve been thinking the same thing. JuJu won’t get upset if he doesn’t get the ball thrown his way 20 times a game. Which means less forced ints. IF Snell can be productive, I really like our backfield and feel like we could win games with them. I’m curious about Washington’s progression and  Moncrief’s impact.

Defensively, we’re better on paper, IMO. Hopefully the speed addition at MLB helps the secondary with TE’s. I view Nelson as a upgrade over coty. Tie for first in sacks last year. More so hope there’s no regression or any major injuries. 

1 hour ago, August4th said:

would be really nice if we get preseason Washington during the regular season. Washington looked like the next great steelers WR during the preseason last yr. him and ben getting a connection will be crucial for the offense

Yeah, I agree with that. He was snatching passes out of the air like a champ. He looked like a jump ball expert. 

4 hours ago, August4th said:

would be really nice if we get preseason Washington during the regular season. Washington looked like the next great steelers WR during the preseason last yr. him and ben getting a connection will be crucial for the offense

I agree as well. Ben called it a confidence issue, but I just think it was not fully knowing the playbook and second guessing.  Maybe that is confidence. I just know the kid was awesome in college, and I expect a huge jump for him this year.

Switzer too, btw. The dude was signed a week before the regular season. He played pretty well overall, but after a year with Ben, he should be much more in sync.

So I love our third round pick Justin Layne. Grew up a Browns fan, and on draft day he was wearing Browns socks. 

As soon as the Steelers drafted him, he took off the socks and went barefoot. His dad started throwing out all their Browns gear. 

The story made its way into the local Pittsburgh news, and Justin was asked about why they did that, and he said “they told me how much they wanted me then disrespected me.”

Recently his whole family left Cleveland, and he tweeted:

33 minutes ago, August4th said:

lol fun story

if you had a family member drafted by a rival team would you switch teams? I wouldn't

If they showed that much interest in my kid? Absolutely. 

Unless it was you Stankees. 

34 minutes ago, August4th said:

lol fun story

if you had a family member drafted by a rival team would you switch teams? I wouldn't

Depends on the family member and the team. I don't think I'd necessarily switch teams as much as root for an additional team.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

lol fun story

Moncreifs dad told him he would be rooting for the Steelers when he was a Colt lol

• Like 1

so I've been doing some reading and apparently if Le'Veon Bell has a bad year or get injured then Steven Nelson contract should be enough to cancel out Le'Veon Bell's contract which would leave us with LJ for who we would most likely at best get a seventh round compensatory pick in return for.

Does it make me a jerk that I'm hoping for a seventh-round pick as a compensatory pick?

2 hours ago, Livewire said:

I think the Steelers believe in Washington going forward...I believe the Johnson pick in the 3rd was a combo of BPA and insurance against Moncrief who’s 2020 cap number doubles next year IIRC.

Plus, whether we want to admit it or not Juju is looking at a $100 mill deal potentially after the 2020 season...never know how Steelers will think on paying a non QB that type of coin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

so I've been doing some reading and apparently if Le'Veon Bell has a bad year or get injured then Steven Nelson contract should be enough to cancel out Le'Veon Bell's contract which would leave us with LJ for who we would most likely at best get a seventh round compensatory pick in return for.

Does it make me a jerk that I'm hoping for a seventh-round pick as a compensatory pick?

It makes you dumb. If you're willing to sacrifice a 3rd rounder out of spite, that's pretty dumb.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

lol, I hear you.  I prefer the 3rd rounder. 

I've softened quite a bit on Bell. The only thing he did that really stuck in my craw is when he told teammates he'd be back and then didn't show up. If he wanted to hold out all year for more money, that's on him. The AB situation really made Bell look better. 

• Like 4