2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

I don't recall I've ever said keion Adams sucks. I said that he wasn't going to make the roster previously because that's the way things seem to be trending and clearly I was correct. Keion Adams has Talent but I think having been injured for a year it really set him back and has was just stated he was never really dropped it to be an address sure to begin with having said that again I feel like the tryouts speak volumes about where they feel the depth of the roster is or if you will is not

23 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Baltimore drafted 2 TEs last year in the 1st and 3rd rounds.  Cant see that happening.  They need outside threats, if anything.

I do agree Pats probably wont trade for him.  

Oh, I missed where Baltimore drafted TEs, what with them trading up to get Lamar Jackson. Okay, Jets and Cards then.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I feel like the tryouts speak volumes about where they feel the depth of the roster is or if you will is not

Replacing players 86-90 has no impact on what they think of the depth of players 1-53. None. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Wait, so the narrative has now swung from "Keion Adams sucks, we should have done anything to get him off the roster" to "well, he showed some promise in TC!"? Anything to rag on Colbert and co I guess. 

But what depth are you worried about exactly? The 4th quarter of the preseason? Because thats the only depth these 5 affect. These 5 overall having a major effect on Chickillo is a leap - and thats not because he is good, its the reality of the NFL. The "our depth sucks if there is an injury" is rampant in the NFL. It's an NFL problem, not a Steelers ONLY problem. 

These cuts are not news, they are an FYI. Keion Adams had his chance last year and lost to an undrafted guy from Toledo. Then this year, they saw enough in a 2 weeks of Sutton Smith and some other no name from Toledo in a tryout to say Adams was expandable. That doesn't make me believe they think highly of Adams. 

I implore people to expand their football universe to the NFL and not just the Steelers bubble. The Saints made 10 moves yesterday, and they should have played in the Super Bowl last year. There were over 50 roster moves yesterday in the NFL, not including the Steelers. This stuff happens ALL THE TIME and its not an indictment of the depth, its not a story to continue to build a case against GMs and coaches...its the NFL at an absurd number of roster space that the player pool cannot match (it already has trouble matching 53 per team), trying to see which ones MIGHT have a 0.01% chance of making some noise. 

This is a very good post. People need to relax about bubble guys getting cut. There are MAYBE 5-6 total roster spots available on this or any NFL team. Very seldom do you see a guy like Willie Parker or James Harrison go from bubble guy to solid roster spot.  Yes, it happens, but less often than you think.  Adams was a 7th round pick and a bubble guy. He showed promise, but he also got hurt. The Steelers drafted three LBs this year, and only one is making the roster for sure.  Sutton and Gilbert have a chance, obviously, but by no means are they guaranteed. 

Anyone think Devlin Hodges beating out Brogan Roback means anything?  How about the signing of Johnny Holton?

As we've mentioned plenty of times, Bud Dupree is going to be the starting LOLB for 2019, and the primary backup at this point is Anthony Chickillo. We can hope that Ola what's his name or one of the rookies impresses enough to get reps and playing time, but the reality is that they won't unless someone gets hurt. Which is exactly how James Harrison finally made the roster after being cut three times by the Steelers and once by the Ravens. 

• Like 2

People have to understand the Steelers like Dupree and Chick more than we do...it’s that simple.

However, there’s a pretty good shot 1 of them isn’t on roster next year...possibly both.

Drink a beer(preferably not Iron City or Natty Light...I recommend anything by Troegs Bros or Stone) and relax.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Replacing players 86-90 has no impact on what they think of the depth of players 1-53. None. 

Very little truth to that when you consider how often a tryout or UDFA actually makes the 53 man roster in Pittsburgh.

But my point is they believe that these guys theyre bringing in now can compete with the depth they already have. Which is not a point of pride for guys already under contract

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:
1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Very little truth to that when you consider how often a tryout or UDFA actually makes the 53 man roster in Pittsburgh.

Alejandro Villanueva and James Harrison say hi.

23 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Alejandro Villanueva and James Harrison say hi.

So do these guys:

The team released the following players: punter Matt Wile, running backs Jarvion Franklin, James Summers and Fitzgerald Toussaint, wide receivers Trey Griffey, Quadree Henderson and Tevin Jones, tight ends Bucky Hodges, Pharoah McKever and Christian Scotland-Williamson, offensive linemen Larson Graham, Patrick Morris, Oni Omoile, R.J. Prince, Jake Rodgers and Chris Schleuger, cornerbacks Brian Allen, Dashaun Phillips, Malik Reaves and Jamar Summers, linebackers Keion Adams, Matt Galambos and Farrington Huguenin, and defensive linemen Parker Cothren, Joshua Frazier, Greg Gilmore, Lavon Hooks, Casey Sayles and Kendal Vickers.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-reduce-roster-to-53

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Ya know, I love their brewery in Hershey, but I am not a big fan of their beers. 

Always wanted to do a tour.

Big fan of their Mad Alf Ale and Nugget Nectar.

Gonna try First Cut and Field Study next.

54 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

People have to understand the Steelers like Dupree and Chick more than we do...it’s that simple.

However, there’s a pretty good shot 1 of them isn’t on roster next year...possibly both.

Drink a beer(preferably not Iron City or Natty Light...I recommend anything by Troegs Bros or Stone) and relax.

You think they're going to ditch Chick or Dupree going into next year or the year after? I'm just confused at what year you're talking about. 

48 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

But my point is they believe that these guys theyre bringing in now can compete with the depth they already have. Which is not a point of pride for guys already under contract

Depth players are 26-53. Not 86-90. Which, I think, is @Dcash4's point. Every team recycles those bottom tier players every year with UDFAs and early year players. They're just as good, it's cheaper and yes, you might stumble upon a hidden gem. I don't see it as an indictment on the team's depth. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You think they're going to ditch Chick or Dupree going into next year or the year after? I'm just confused at what year you're talking about. 

After this seasom...Dupree’s a FA and Chicks cap hit is about $6 mill...Steelers backloaded his 2 year deal.

If they sign Dupree long term, I seriously doubt they’ll keep Chick around at $6 mill as a backup.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

2 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

After this seasom...Dupree’s a FA and Chicks cap hit is about $6 mill...Steelers backloaded his 2 year deal.

If they sign Dupree long term, I seriously doubt they’ll keep Chick around at $6 mill as a backup.

I gotcha, that's what I figured you meant. Offseason language confuses me sometimes.