2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

41 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would consider a "really strong season" to be 11+ wins and an AFC Championship appearance at the very least...so no, if that happens I do not see Tomlin receiving any criticism. 

In fact, I'd assume people would laud the effort by Tomlin. I'd be one of them.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

In fact, I'd assume people would laud the effort by Tomlin. I'd be one of them.

They absolutely would...but that’s why I ask the question. 

If the only thing this team has lacked is this focus...and we all of a sudden become this machine with focus...

wouldnt that make you guys feel let down about the last 5 or so years? Wonder what could have been if we just could have gotten the team on the same page? A job of which I expect head coaches to control. 

Lacking focus seems like a failure to me. Lacking commitment is a failure. Lacking a goal is failure. If we all of a sudden have that because we were an embarrassment to the league ... wouldn’t that make you wonder? 

Edited by Dcash4

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

They absolutely would...but that’s why I ask the question. 

If the only thing this team has lacked is this focus...and we all of a sudden become this machine with focus...

wouldnt that make you guys feel let down about the last 5 or so years? Wonder what could have been if we just could have gotten the team on the same page? A job of which I expect head coaches to control. 

Lacking focus seems like a failure to me. Lacking commitment is a failure. Lacking a goal is failure. If we all of a sudden have that because we were an embarrassment to the league ... wouldn’t that make you wonder? 

Or maybe it will just show that having your two best players be egomaniacs who literally only care about money is impossible to win with. Let’s see how the Jets and Raiders do this year. I’m predicting less than 10 wins combined tbh.

Tomlin gives his players freedom and allows them to be themselves, that’s who he is. We’ve seen it be effective, it only got bad when AB and Bell let their success get to their head. Let’s not put blame on Tomlin that should be going to those two. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Or maybe it will just show that having your two best players be egomaniacs who literally only care about money is impossible to win with. Let’s see how the Jets and Raiders do this year. I’m predicting less than 10 wins combined tbh.

Tomlin gives his players freedom and allows them to be themselves, that’s who he is. We’ve seen it be effective, it only got bad when AB and Bell let their success get to their head. Let’s not put blame on Tomlin that should be going to those two. 

the true reality of it all is that if we win the Superbowl this season The Narrative will become that Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown were what was holding us back from winning one

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Tomlin gives his players freedom and allows them to be themselves, that’s who he is. We’ve seen it be effective

And we have also seen it crash and burn. This is leading to why I ask the question. 

If motivation has been whats held this team back, and they finally have manufactured motivation -- not coach driven motivation -- wouldn't that make you mad that we couldn't get this buy in and be in the middle of a dominant 5 year run? That it took being an embarrassment to finally reach our potential and almost waste all these years of a top QB?

I in no way mean that this would make Tomlin a bad coach in anyway -- I still think he is an extremely good coach. But It would make me wonder what could have been if alls they needed was motivation to lock in - to not lose to teams they have no business losing to, to not have to fall into a 21 nothing hole at home in the playoffs before you decide to show up, to not have to play down to every opponent.

I understand his style of coaching, but I also believe in adapting. If being a better motivator at some level is all it really takes....I think I'll be a little mad that we never explored that before now. 

I kind of feel bad for Mike Hilton. If he would have been a Free Agent last year, he'd have gotten a deal. Now, I doubt we give him the extension he wants. He needs to sign his tender and hope to play lights out this year. He definitely took a step back after his injury. I wouldn't give him an extension until he proves that his play after the injury was an aberration. 

I'm not 100% sold it was a fluke. I was never very impressed with him in the slot. He'd make a good tackle and everyone would applaud, but I was just waiting for people to start picking on him. He reminds me of Valentino Blake. Good guy to have on your team, not a great guy to have to rely on for heavy snaps. I think Hilton's best bet is a move to FS.

• Like 1

I disagree, in 2017 Hilton was one of the best slot corners in the league. He’s also the only player we have imo that is a “glue/sticky” slot guy that can stay with guys like Edelman. 

Teams caught on to that blitz we also used to run with him over and over again. That combined with his injury meant less splash plays and less consistency. I’m bullish on him bouncing back this season if he stays healthy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I disagree, in 2017 Hilton was one of the best slot corners in the league. He’s also the only player we have imo that is a “glue/sticky” slot guy that can stay with guys like Edelman. 

Teams caught on to that blitz we also used to run with him over and over again. That combined with his injury meant less splash plays and less consistency. I’m bullish on him bouncing back this season if he stays healthy.

I hope you're right. He hasn't shown my enough that he is a "sticky" cover guy. He seems to work best in zones, where he can see the pass and click to the ball and deliver a hit. I hope he gets better at coverage, but I think his best fit is a rover or hybrid box guy, or at FS. 

I will admit, he looked good against Landry in week 1 in coverage. But I do think his injury held him back. Either way, I hope you're right about him bouncing back.

Edited by MOSteelers56

Porter and Terrell Davis absolutely blasting Ben on NFLN saying he was the problem with AB and Bell. They think he abuses his "power" and only uses it for himself. Basically absolving AB and Bell of any blame. Also, Porter is a terrible public speaker. But I digress. It seems like the TEAM has moved on and is focused on the Season but the media can't let it go. I guess it gets eyes on the tube. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Porter and Terrell Davis absolutely blasting Ben on NFLN saying he was the problem with AB and Bell. They think he abuses his "power" and only uses it for himself. Basically absolving AB and Bell of any blame. Also, Porter is a terrible public speaker. But I digress. It seems like the TEAM has moved on and is focused on the Season but the media can't let it go. I guess it gets eyes on the tube. 

I hope not Joey Porter.

Oh jiminy crickets.  I think this backs some players talking about Porter as being part of the problem and pitting the offense vs defense at times during his tenure as a coach. It's kinda funny how he's one of the ones that made a comment about Ryan Clark talking about things in the locker room, then does it himself.  I think a coaching career for him was on life support and might be gone now.