2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

13 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Yeah, but I was surprised by TD's take. I've liked him on NFLN over the years but his comments about Ben were Bush League. 

I'm not.  TD has very much been like that the whole time.  And I know this is a little backhanded, but I'm not shocked he had that opinion considering Elway helped the Bronco's cheat the cap and helped get TD the same cheery deal to get paid more and cheat the cap.

I'm very much pissed about Porter.

He can say what he wants, but it needs to be taken with a grain of salt because of his part in some of the locker room issues last year (I commented on twitter to PFT's article and people seem to hate that).  Like, Porter isn't wrong to say Ben has the ear of ownership and could go to their office.  But when TD started talking about players that can go to ownership needing to fight for everyone, Porter should have cut him off and said "We don't know what they talked about".  Simple as that.  But Joey didn't. It backs up the report earlier this offseason that players said Joey was part of the issue by pitting it as an us vs them, offense vs defense.

• Like 1

People on twitter are funny. 

Me “I take Porters statement with a grain of salt despite agreeing with parts because he’s been no angel.”

Twitter “Bens a rapeist.” “Legal issues don’t mean he can’t talk.” “What does Porters problems have to do with the Steelers?”

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

People on twitter are funny. 

Me “I take Porters statement with a grain of salt despite agreeing with parts because he’s been no angel.”

Twitter “Bens a rapeist.” “Legal issues don’t mean he can’t talk.” “What does Porters problems have to do with the 

twitter is Disney Land for trolls. You presented a logical thought and were given childish responses. That's twitter. We all know there were several people to "blame" for the meltdown. On top of being a terrible OLB coach, Porter had a lot to do with that as well.

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Chieferific said:

twitter is Disney Land for trolls. You presented a logical thought and were given childish responses. That's twitter. We all know there were several people to "blame" for the meltdown. On top of being a terrible OLB coach, Porter had a lot to do with that as well.

Touche. I think someone from this era is going to write a tell all book and it's going to be juicy.  I've heard some stories from just this past year alone that makes me raise an eyebrow.

• Like 1

@gerrydulac
Steelers told K Chris Boswell they would delay his $2 million roster bonus, which was due in mid-March, till after the final preseason game in Carolina. If Boswell didn't agree, they would have cut him. Steelers want to see more before deciding to give him a chance at redemption https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1 ... 8641266688

I am amazed that the NFLPA did not get worked up about this.  The logic is there.  Roster bonus if you are on the roster but the contract language is different.

• Like 1

I really like the move by the Steelers it's a good business decision and really Chris Boswell had his back against the wall year if they decided to cut him because he said no that he wasn't okay with this he wasn't going to get a contract from another team. Honestly this comes down to the Steelers believing that he can turn it around but understanding that there's a possibility he doesn't and if he does they need to be able to make the business decision of releasing him without being completely in a financial dumpster fire as a result.

A couple of things I really hope they keep for outside linebackers I really hope Ola adeniyi is able to secure the number three spot over answering chickillo and Anthony chickillo is kept for special teams and depth but if ola cannot make the team over Anthony chickillo I don't believe that we keep him even on the practice squad.

I personally believe we are going to keep six wide receivers I also do feel like we are going to add a fourth tight end at some point and that of course is if Zach Gentry even makes the roster and if he doesn't make the roster it could be a result of us signing another tight end I really don't love the idea of Xavier Grimble being our number two tight end.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think they add another TE at some point in camp.

I think Big Red is in his last camp as a Steeler.

I agree with both of those statements and don't get me wrong I think Tyler matakevich as far exceeded expectations for him on this roster and I appreciate as I'm sure all Steelers fans do all of his effort but I just feel like people are going to meet him out for a roster spot because they're going to be able to do more than he can.

The one thing I will say about Zach Gentry is that I am hopeful that he ends up being a Lot Like Jesse James in that when Jesse James came out he had a lot of question marks about himself as well however the potential talk with much higher about Jesse James in it is Gentry but I feel like if Gentry can at least be a contributor and both the blocking and the receiving game that it might be a worthwhile pic

If I could get one guy, it would be Jack Doyle. Reliable, starter reps, 1 year remaining with a team that has a guy that clearly surpassed him last year. The problem is his $5M cap hit...but would love him on a one year deal as our #2. But thats a pipe dream. 

Tight end isnt very pretty across the entire NFL. Might need to get creative to really find a substantial piece, even as just a backup/depth player. Wasnt a long list of guys that I thought could end up cut loose from their current team.

- Jason Croom, Nick O'Leary, end of list. 

Seattle has an interesting set up which could lead to someone being free. Ed Dickson was overpaid and underproduced in year 1 of his Seattle deal. Nick Vannett is okay and on the last year of his deal. They traded for Jacob Hollister...which really doesnt mean much. They also have Will Dissly. Tight end is just such an underwhelming position (from a talent standpoint), I have a hard time seeing them keep 4. None of them get me really excited, but I do think they are at least decent options for NFL depth. 

The last play I think would be interesting would be Jake Butt. Coming off another ACL and the team seems to have moved on - drafting 2 TEs in the last 2 drafts and re-signing Heuerman. Between Heuerman, Butt, and Fumagilla I would imagine one of those 3 is kicked off the island to go along with Fant as the top 3. Again, not super exciting but I at least think they add to the talent pool. Butt is risky, but if he was the 3rd and you could sneak Gentry on the PS, maybe thats the best option we have in terms of potential. 

Other than that....I dont know? Maybe go get a guy like Garrett Celek?

This was a super depressing exercise at this position. 

• Like 1

He's obviously a ST guy this season -- at best.  As the saying goes tho, the more you can do.

I wish him well. Unlike #1 pick Bush, this guy made a lot of splash plays in college. And yes I know that his competition is not comparable. Still, Roethlisberger came from the MAC.