2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

13 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Please, for the love of French fries on sandwhiches....stop mentioning $9M Like the Steelers woke up and said “ya know who deserves $9M? Dupree!”

I get what you're trying to say but the 9 million dollars is significant in that bud Dupree has the level of play of an above-average backup but not the level of play of the starter money he received.

Let's be really honest for a moment the only reason he got that fifth year option is that he was the best option that the Steelers had which obviously is not a good thing but it's the reality of the situation and there was obviously no way to guarantee they would get an outside linebacker in the draft which by the way they didn't. From a player Personnel standpoint in that regard I understand the move. I just personally don't like it but it is significant when you are talking about the level of play he provides and the level of play that he doesn't provide

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Please, for the love of French fries on sandwhiches....stop mentioning $9M Like the Steelers woke up and said “ya know who deserves $9M? Dupree!”

It's still a fact he is making that much, even if it was a desperation move.

And what happens next year? Will it still be acceptable to sign him to a 7 million per year deal simply because we don't have anything better than him on the roster?

My only point in bringing up his salary is that he is laughably overpaid for what he brings to the table. The fact that it was a desperation move is largely irrelevant.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I get what you're trying to say but the 9 million dollars is significant in that bud Dupree has the level of play of an above-average backup but not the level of play of the starter money he received.

Let's be really honest for a moment the only reason he got that fifth year option is that he was the best option that the Steelers had which obviously is not a good thing but it's the reality of the situation and there was obviously no way to guarantee they would get an outside linebacker in the draft which by the way they didn't. From a player Personnel standpoint in that regard I understand the move. I just personally don't like it but it is significant when you are talking about the level of play he provides and the level of play that he doesn't provide

Very well said about it basically being a certain cost at a position without opening up another need that needed to be addressed in the draft...plus I think they do actually like him as a starter to a certain extent.

I think they see a potential that really is there he just hasn't captured it and so I agree I do think they like him and so they were willing to risk it because it was 1 year now I think with that we can all agree that there's a reason he did not and has not gotten an extension. It goes hand-in-hand with the concept of pushing back Chris Boswell's bonus. They are both protecting their personnel numbers and protecting themselves financially I don't like it but it's not the end of the world and I do get why they did it. Listen I hope he absolutely explodes in this season it makes me eat crow I just don't see it happening

52 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

And what happens next year? Will it still be acceptable to sign him to a 7 million per year deal simply because we don't have anything better than him on the roster?

My only point in bringing up his salary is that he is laughably overpaid for what he brings to the table. The fact that it was a desperation move is largely irrelevant.

No different than franchising Max Starks.  i know you remember that one 43.  They really had no choice but to franchise Starks.  At least they did not franchise Dupree.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

But the the reason he is getting that money has nothing to do with his level of play...they paid for a roster spot, not a player. 

Everything you said in the second paragraph is perfect - because it’s exactly why he is getting that money. It has nothing to do with the Steelers putting a price on his play. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

But the the reason he is getting that money has nothing to do with his level of play...they paid for a roster spot, not a player. 

Everything you said in the second paragraph is perfect - because it’s exactly why he is getting that money. It has nothing to do with the Steelers putting a price on his play. 

I agree with everything that you just said and the initial point that you were making is my problem with the fact that he got the contract

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Who cares? It’s not my money. 

The only way I would care is if it stopped us from making other moves, which I don’t think it did. We completely renovated the ILB room and CB room, signed a starting WR who had the physicality that Ben killed it with, and solidified the OL. We checked a lot of boxes, a couple boxes far more important than Bud Dupree’s replacement. 

Didn’t you say you wouldn’t mind Bud as a 3rd LB? $7M isn’t far off from a backup player that would put him at 36th in the NFL on an average basis and would push him below 40 after guys like Bosa and Lloyd get paid off their rookie deals during the life of that contract.

But in reality, what probably happens next year is the same thing that happened this year at ILB. We probably sign a mid-level starter and draft 1 and possibly 2 guys to completely change the room behind TJ. Because we will have the resources to do so since we took care of other position this year. 

And what anyone makes money wise in the NFL is irrelevant - provided you can still make moves you need to make. They are all laughably overpaid. All of them.

Edited by Dcash4

Last two years:

Von Miller: $30million, 24 sacks, $1.25 million per sack

Bud Dupree: $7.2million, 11.5 sacks, $626k per sack

Pass rushers are massively overpaid.  Prorating the money, you pay more per sack for elite pass rushers than you do non-elite pass rushers.  Von Miller has a cap hit of $25.5million this year and averages 10 sacks a year.  Bud Dupree is making $9million and averages 5 sacks a year.  In the grand scheme of things, what Dupree is making isn't 'that much' of an overpay.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Despite his speed, his first step is pretty average.  And you still need to be able to get off blocks as a 9 tech.  There have been numerous speedy guys who failed in that role.

And if he did have success, oh well.  Why would anyone cry?    He is never going to have that success in Butler's system.

That's the thing. It isn't always. He is Ricky Bobby because if he isn't first, he's last.  It's been beaten to death but he does have the ability to be the 1st off the LOS. But since his college days (and prolly even before) he doesn't always "use" it. I don't know if it's a motivational thing (inexcusable) or a stamina thing (inexcusable) but the ability is there. Obviously only results matter so whatever the reason is, if he hasn't figured it out by the end of this season when he's on a 1-year deal he prolly never will.

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

That's the thing. It isn't always. He is Ricky Bobby because if he isn't first, he's last.  It's been beaten to death but he does have the ability to be the 1st off the LOS. But since his college days (and prolly even before) he doesn't always "use" it. I don't know if it's a motivational thing (inexcusable) or a stamina thing (inexcusable) but the ability is there. Obviously only results matter so whatever the reason is, if he hasn't figured it out by the end of this season when he's on a 1-year deal he prolly never will.

Part of the reason he's not first off of the line of scrimmage is that he struggles to beat blocks or rather to fend them off

16 hours ago, warfelg said:

Last two years:

Von Miller: $30million, 24 sacks, $1.25 million per sack

Bud Dupree: $7.2million, 11.5 sacks, $626k per sack

Pass rushers are massively overpaid.  Prorating the money, you pay more per sack for elite pass rushers than you do non-elite pass rushers.  Von Miller has a cap hit of $25.5million this year and averages 10 sacks a year.  Bud Dupree is making $9million and averages 5 sacks a year.  In the grand scheme of things, what Dupree is making isn't 'that much' of an overpay.

Such a poor comparison and analysis without context.   Dupree thrives off of clean up sacks or overload blitz sacks.  That's where most of them come from.  Von Miller is also heavily game planned for.  Dupree gets shut down relatively easily by any OLineman in front of him.

This is just a repeat of the Jason Worilds situation.  Was never good but Steeler fans kept acting like he was.  Got a transition tag and was mediocre.  Fortunately, Worilds did us a favor and retired before we could overpay him long term.  Doubt we get that lucky twice.

I was reading an article on BtSC about Dupree needing to finish and trying to compare him to Watt.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/3/18650971/bud-duprees-ability-to-close-will-go-a-long-way-in-dictating-his-future-with-the-steelers-contract

I have seen enough games with Bud to tell him that he needs to get stronger.  He tries to win with pure speed on almost all of his rushes.  He rarely bull rushes and when he does it is generally not to pressure the passer but to contain.  Compare Bud to TJ's rushing style you see that TJ can finish with power rushes at time.

I will also disagree to a point with @FourThreeMafia.  Dupree did not get even most of his sacks via unblocked rushes.  He got most of his sacks on speed rushes from the 9 tech.

• Like 1

Just now, Chieferific said:

First to fire off after the snap prior to making any contact.

Which doesn't mean very much when you consider that when he does get contact he can't break those blocks. More often than not we see Bud Dupree running like 50 yards to achieve actually a 3-yard distance between him and the quarterback and this is due to the fact that even after four seasons he still lacks the upper body strength and skill to break blocks so he knows his only chance is to be running free.