2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

Just now, Chieferific said:

Don't disagree at all. That's why he is such a frustrating player. Some are suggesting he's ok against the run and ok in coverage. He was an off the charts athlete. They drafted him to be a a Pass Rusher. He hasn't come close to what they had to think they had. 

He is okay in coverage.   Not sure how people claim he is anything more than mediocre vs the run, and even that is generous. 

I completely agree that he sucks doing the main thing he was drafted to do.

I still had hope for Dupree after his 2nd year.  Now I just see JAG who is a sub package player or career backup.  No way he should still be starting.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It's an exaggeration, but for someone as athletic as him, he isn't nearly as consistent as you would hope.   There are far less athletic players that get off the snap better than he does.

Consistency has more to do with what's between the ears than what the player is physically capable of.

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Consistency has more to do with what's between the ears than what the player is physically capable of.

I completely agree...but that aspect hinders what alot of athletic players would otherwise be capable of 

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

Agreed and I don't think your are insinuating he's "stupid". I assume you mean he just doesn't have that fire in his belly. That "want to". To be THAT big (270lbs) and THAT fast (4.56 40) and THAT agile (42" Vertical) it's just soooo very frustrating. 

Edited by Chieferific

I’m definitely in the “Pro-Bud”(in more ways than 1 lol) camp on here, but this constant talk of him leaving a few sacks out there is dumb. Did he nearly miss some sacks? Yes. Did he lose some sacks to penalty? Yes. But that is a common thing for all pass rushers. I’m sure if James Harrison or Von Miller did that they’d have 5+ sacks added every year. 

I do think Bud “puts it together” this year. I think he’ll be an 8-10 sack guy. Continue covering and hitting people really hard and be a fairly valuable player on the defense. That’s not worth a huge payday, but I’d welcome him back for his current salary long term. Plus, the fights on here about him are so fun. Why would anyone want those to stop?

On 2019-06-07 at 12:56 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

It's an exaggeration, but for someone as athletic as him, he isn't nearly as consistent as you would hope.   There are far less athletic players that get off the snap better than he does.

also add that there are many of those less athletic players that have more football IQ and countermoves in the pass rush. I have been one of the harshest dupree critics and won't change my view until he  plays to what is expected. Until then, he is way over drafted, overpaid and a wasted RD1 pick again by colbert. Some of this bandwidth on dupree criticism should be mailed to colbert since it's his fault anyways. 

HiKiAlright so lately I've been kind of all over the place apartment bye I want to share some thoughts and these are kind of going to be scrambled together the draft different areas of the team different thoughts going forward and whatever but I'm interested to hear everybody's opinions on what I have to say and here we go.

The first and foremost I will address Bud Dupree because if everybody knows lately hi on my disdain for him. This is a guy I really do hope turns it on this year and makes me look like a fool for ever doubting him he is not without power he's just not reached that bility height and I think the key should be capable of part of it I think honestly is that I just don't think he's an ideal fit for our team.

On the safety group, I really hope Jordan Dangerfield is not make the roster. I honestly hope that Artie Burns also doesn't make the roster and here is why I am Roofing in in the safety group. I hope that PJ a lot and Cameron Kelly both make the roster. DJ lock I think give you a definitive upgrade over Jordan Dangerfield obviously we don't know what he is truly capable of but we do know what Jordan Dangerfield is capable of and we know that he doesn't author basically anything on defense. Cameron County has the ability to play safety and corner it is taking development. She could be an asset on our team.

I have a feeling Eli Rogers is not going to make the roster I did think that we might need 6 wide receivers but I think the odd man out will be Eli Roth and I think that we may very well be one of the undrafted free agents. Personally I view Eli Rogers and Ryan Switzer is basically the same place only I think it's a give you more in the return game. We have a lot of slot receivers on the roster and I think that makes you our Rogers expendable.

I have a strong feeling Tyler matakevich is played his last regular-season with the Pittsburgh Steelers I'm not sure who will take his place yet it may be Sutton Smith a guy honestly at one point didn't think would make the roster but given the fact that they are using him in a very versatile manner already in the offseason I could definitely see him at least me a jack of all trades this season.

Obviously I have expressed in the past that I am not a fan of the Zach Gentry pic and while I hope he develop into something good I hope he spends his time on the practice squad to season as a result of us hopefully going out and getting another tight end.

Just a little disclaimer I apologize for any typos I voice texted this entire post

On 6/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m definitely in the “Pro-Bud”(in more ways than 1 lol) camp on here, but this constant talk of him leaving a few sacks out there is dumb. Did he nearly miss some sacks? Yes. Did he lose some sacks to penalty? Yes. But that is a common thing for all pass rushers. I’m sure if James Harrison or Von Miller did that they’d have 5+ sacks added every year. 

I do think Bud “puts it together” this year. I think he’ll be an 8-10 sack guy. Continue covering and hitting people really hard and be a fairly valuable player on the defense. That’s not worth a huge payday, but I’d welcome him back for his current salary long term. Plus, the fights on here about him are so fun. Why would anyone want those to stop?

Most of his sacks and pressures come from him beating TEs and RBs, or flat out blown blocking assignments.  He regularly gets shut down by every decent lineman that gets a hand on him.  

For the last 3 years, people have said "this is the year" for Bud.   Still waiting...

Having watched Buds 2018 sacks I call BS.  2 up  the middle on stunts.  One of which he ran over a RB.  Another was a loop inside that the OG fanned on.  All other he beat the OT.  We can go back to look at his other years.

I have long since not worried about a scheme sack.  Gildon had so many of those we called this Gil-dong sacks and he is 2nd on the all time Steeler sack list.  Buds biggest problem is he wins with speed or nothing.  One sack was because he stopped and the QB flushed into him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Having watched Buds 2018 sacks I call BS.  2 up  the middle on stunts.  One of which he ran over a RB.  Another was a loop inside that the OG fanned on.  All other he beat the OT.  We can go back to look at his other years.

I have long since not worried about a scheme sack.  Gildon had so many of those we called this Gil-dong sacks and he is 2nd on the all time Steeler sack list.  Buds biggest problem is he wins with speed or nothing.  One sack was because he stopped and the QB flushed into him.

so what does this leave him with, 2 legit sack stats and then the rest were gifts of sorts?  Gildon had a variety of moves, dupree doesn't. Speed or nothing say it all, year 5 in the nfl and will this change? When will it change?  I gave up a few years ago but others still have hope. Oh well, wait until the coaches finally have enough and others get more time in the rotation.  

What is a gift sack?  Vwill must get a lot of them on inside stunts and he only ever beats a RB.  Anyone want to complain about VWill's sacks?  There was 1 gift sack last year.  Dalton got flushed into him after he got stopped on the speed rush.  All the others were just sacks. 

If you want to say he has not gotten double digit sacks then that is a good beef.  I even pointed out he only wins with speed.  But do not make stuff up just because you do not like the player.

• Like 6

I always wonder how often people make claims like " none of his sacks came against OTs" or "he gets doubled this %  of the time"  relying solely on their memory from watching the game live.

Not calling anyone out but those claims are taken by me with an eyeroll and a grain of salt. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grubs10 said:

I always wonder how often people make claims like " none of his sacks came against OTs" or "he gets doubled this %  of the time"  relying solely on their memory from watching the game live.

Not calling anyone out but those claims are taken by me with an eyeroll and a grain of salt. 

Bud Dupree is capable of getting quality sacks however he really struggles with his strength and too often we see him running like 30 yards to get to yards I might be one of my biggest issues with Bud Dupree. Now something that I haven't personally brought up that I think deserves to get brought up in his defense he is that he's had an injury almost every year one year I believe it was a groin then it was an arm or shoulder and last year he was playing part of the year with a torn pectoral. So while I think that he struggled with strength with getting pushed and getting off of blocks these are the type of injuries that would at least make the debate of whether or not they have hampered his ability relevant. Personally though I feel like Bud Dupree has reached his ceiling and if you don't have anybody better then I suppose there's nothing wrong with that but if you can get someone better I believe that you should

• Like 1

Good point @wwhickok about the injury history. That is something that needs to be kept in mind, even if he does “break out” this year. If he’s fully healthy I think he could have a lot more sacks. But does the FO want to risk a long term dea with his long injury history. Sometimes people as freakish as Bud can’t stay healthy. I mean, look what happened to Woodley. Nagging injuries ruined him. I know it’s a completely different scenario to Bud, but it happens. 

• Like 2

What's everyone's take on signing Haden to an extension? This is his last year and he recently stated he wanted to retire a Steeler. I'd be ok with giving him two years after this one. I'd rather just give him 1, because I think Layne could be the real deal, but I don't think he'd sign a 1 year extension. Maybe two years with an easy out going into that last year. I would assume he'd be getting paid a little too much for only veteran leadership.