2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

Trading AB to the Seahawks would be hilarious.  What do you mean Wilson only drops back 20 times a game?  Pete Carroll is a no-nonsense coach.  He will trade trouble makers fast so I really doubt that he wants AB.

Love the pic from the Professional.  Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors and I love  that film.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Pete Carroll is a no-nonsense coach.

This is the exact opositive of what pete Carroll is as a coach. Much like Tomlin, he is very much a player coach. It’s how he managed Sherman, Thomas, Bennett, and Beast mode. I mean, he literally trade FOR Harvin. 

Why don’t those guys play for them anymore? Because fun stops when winning stops....much like we are seeing. 

I’d also say Wilson drop backs are heavily determined by personnel. 

Edited by Dcash4

the steelers still hold all the cards

AB will cost the steelers basically the same whether he is on the team or not

dont trade AB for anything less than a first rounder or stud player

dont care if it happens when FA starts or into training camp

if AB pouts, cries, sits out whatever, the team should hammer him hard with every fine they can. this will give us more cap room for next year

if he sits out all year, we just gained 13 million for 2020 and AB got ZERO $ for 2019 and we still own him

the steelers need to start a hard line approach with their players. the days of letting them do whatever they what with no accountability is what has put this team is a downward spiral since cowhers players left

they will be sending a message to every player that they cant scumbag their way off the team

whether AB leaves or stays and sits out, we wont have his services. we might as well make a stand and  F him over. this will eventually be for the good of the team

giving him away for anything less will be another embarrassing chapter in this years pathetic book titled, '3 ring circus'

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

So, is it unreasonable to think that Brown likely asked for a new money on his contract and they, in the most polite way possible, laughed it off? While there are deals that are moving MORE toward guaranteed contracts, it is situations like this that will prevent that from being the norm. Brown is doing all of the players a disservice by making a play for more money if that is his game here.

18 hours ago, jebrick said:

Love the pic from the Professional.  Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors and I love  that film.

One of the best character actors of our time.  I think The Professional was a great movie because of Oldman's bad-guy character. He was great in True Romance as well.

gary-oldman-true-romance-drexl-spivey.jp

28 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

So, is it unreasonable to think that Brown likely asked for a new money on his contract and they, in the most polite way possible, laughed it off? While there are deals that are moving MORE toward guaranteed contracts, it is situations like this that will prevent that from being the norm. Brown is doing all of the players a disservice by making a play for more money if that is his game here.

Nope it wouldn't. I would not be surprised!  I don't think this was why all the drama broke out, but I would guess that it was certainly in the back of the mind of both Brown and his agent. You are spot on with AB doing a disservice to himself and others by his stance.  This is also why the Steelers didn't want to give Bell a bunch over guaranteed $$$.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, Dcash4 said:

The rams have a late pick, cap space, and have shown a willingness to go all in for a super bowl window.

Rams already have Cooks, Woods, and Kupp. Cooks just got a big money deal. Woods is giving us top 15 WR production at a discount. Kupp is on a rookie contract. We're at the point where we have to be careful about how we allocate cap money. We already have three 1000+ yard caliber WRs. I would be absolutely shocked if we're in on this.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Rams already have Cooks, Woods, and Kupp. Cooks just got a big money deal. Woods is giving us top 15 WR production at a discount. Kupp is on a rookie contract. We're at the point where we have to be careful about how we allocate cap money. We already have three 1000+ yard caliber WRs. I would be absolutely shocked if we're in on this.

I didnt say write it in stone....But the evidence is there that your a team who is willing to make the moves to live in the now and you seem to be in a stage of "we will worry about that money later" points to an aggressiveness that could be in on the conversation. Your team was 6th in defensive DVOA last year and you added Suh and traded for Talib and Peters. You lead the league in points scored yet trade a first for Cooks and were rumored to be in on OBJ. They paid for TG a year too early (possibly 2 years too early) and made someone on his 3rd team in as many years a top 5 salary at his position. 

AB is.....much better than 2 of the 3 names you listed and still better than the 3rd. Woods contract probably stops making sense after next since you could save $5M and $8M the last two years on cap. Again, its not a "book it" scenario here, but is it really a stretch to say there is a path to realism?

Edited by Dcash4

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I didnt say write it in stone....But the evidence is there that your a team who is willing to make the moves to live in the now and you seem to be in a stage of "we will worry about that money later" points to an aggressiveness that could be in on the conversation. Your team was 6th in defensive DVOA last year and you added Suh and traded for Talib and Peters. You lead the league in points scored yet trade a first for Cooks and were rumored to be in on OBJ. They paid for TG a year too early (possibly 2 years too early) and made someone on his 3rd team in as many years a top 5 salary at his position. 

AB is.....much better than 2 of the 3 names you listed and still better than the 3rd. Woods contract probably stops making sense after next since you could save $5M and $8M the last two years on cap. Again, its not a "book it" scenario here, but is it really a stretch to say there is a path to realism?

Yes, it is a massive stretch. It makes zero sense. They traded for Cooks and attempted to trade for OBJ because Watkins was leaving. They needed a #1 WR who could take the top off a defense. They got him and extended him. Trying to analogize it to our defensive moves doesn't make sense. We revamped our defense because Wade wanted guys who fit his preferred scheme. We didn't acquire Talib and Peters while already being set at CB. They paid Todd Gurley for a reason. That has nothing to do with acquiring an outside player.

Nobody cares if Brown is better than our WRs. That's not relevant. We have no need for Brown. There's no justification for giving up scarce resources for a player when we're already set at that position. And Woods is a bargain. You don't jettison a bargain who is thriving in your scheme for a highly paid diva. Woods is perfect for us because he does the dirty work without complaint or an ego. I'd love to have Antonio Brown or OBJ, but we are already set at WR. We're not going to send Kupp or Woods to the bench when we are already dealing with scarce resources and have some holes to fill.

58 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

There's no justification for giving up scarce resources for a player when we're already set at that position.

The point of going over last seasons offseason acquisition is because you are creating your own scarce resources and have been very open about going for it with a short window mind to win a super bowl. Your ownership isn't playing the long game. They are trying to bring a championship NOW. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

We're not going to send Kupp or Woods to the bench when we are already dealing with scarce resources and have some holes to fill.

Your offense created Woods, Woods did not create your offense. He isnt a cant miss talent. He is a mediocre NFL talent who is playing in a fantastic system. See: Steelers 3rd receivers since 2010. 

You also ran 3 wide 90% of the time. Woods is easily replaceable in your offense, and Kupp would never come off the field anyway. 

Woods is ALSO the guy you could potentially position in the trade, and I would think most likely would....though personally, no thank you. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

They traded for Cooks and attempted to trade for OBJ because Watkins was leaving.

Traded for and attempted to trade for two top 15 WRs to replace....Sammy Watkins? Oh. What a massive hole. AB isnt realistic at all. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

And Woods is a bargain. You don't jettison a bargain who is thriving in your scheme for a highly paid diva

Well, the diva doesnt matter -- the only reason you didnt trade for Odell was the asking price. Speaking of a bargain....

AB would cost you about $12M ($10M if we pay the bonus), $6.9M, and $3.9M if you account for Woods being off the roster and his cap savings against Browns remaining numbers. You are also one of the teams who could get him on his current deal with the mind towards unlocking the power of the LA market to him. Also, also -- after a 1/2 year run...you could always look to flip him again to the plethora of teams we simply wont even consider a deal with and get some of those assets back just in time for your salary cap crunch.

Again -- I'm not saying its happening, I am not even saying its likely....but there is absolutely a road that leads to there being a conversation here. You have shown no regret trading assets for players. You have shown the willingness to go all in. You have shown interest in diva receivers. You have a short window before Goff hits/makes a decision. It makes more than "zero" sense. 

22 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The point of going over last seasons offseason acquisition is because you are creating your own scarce resources and have been very open about going for it with a short window mind to win a super bowl. Your ownership isn't playing the long game. They are trying to bring a championship NOW. 

That's not accurate. We traded scarce resources for Cooks and Peters. Both are young players who could have conceivably received an extension (Cooks did; Peters is looking unlikely right now). We weren't giving massive, long-term contracts to old players. We weren't trading premium picks for old players who wouldn't stick around. We built our team to win now but remain viable for the future.

Your offense created Woods, Woods did not create your offense. He isnt a cant miss talent. He is a mediocre NFL talent who is playing in a fantastic system. See: Steelers 3rd receivers since 2010. 

You also ran 3 wide 90% of the time. Woods is easily replaceable in your offense, and Kupp would never come off the field anyway. 

Woods is ALSO the guy you could potentially position in the trade, and I would think most likely would....though personally, no thank you. 

Our offense didn't solely create Woods. He's certainly being maximized in our scheme, but he's a better player than most thought he was in Buffalo. He was playing in a scheme with a QB that misused his skill-set. It was like Antonio Brown with Vick. Woods is a gifted route runner. He needs to play in a scheme that thrives on timing patterns and spacing. He needs a QB who can throw with anticipation. However, the biggest things Woods brings to our offense are his consistency and blocking ability. He's one of the best blocking WRs in the NFL, and with our tight splits, it's an incredibly important skill to have. Kupp and Woods almost always align on the same side of the field and are elite blockers for WRs. That's a huge advantage for what we do in the running game.

Thus, I would not call Woods easily replaceable. He is replaceable. But if we can get 1200+ yards and nearly 10 yards per target out of Robert Woods, why would we want to replace him with a guy who costs twice as much in Antonio Brown and will also cost us premium picks (despite Brown being older than 30 years old)? We're not the type of offense that feeds targets to one player. Before Kupp's injury, our top three WRs all had extremely similar numbers and saw similar numbers of targets per game. Again, we have scarce resources. Why waste cap room and premium picks for an upgrade we don't need? You have to think about diminishing returns.

Traded for and attempted to trade for two top 15 WRs to replace....Sammy Watkins? Oh. What a massive hole. AB isnt realistic at all. 

Do you not understand the point here? We already acquired our Watkins replacement. And yes, it was a massive hole if you understand our scheme. Watkins was used in 2017 to mainly clear defenders out of the short and intermediate ranges. Cooks did the same thing. Of course, Cooks was more productive because he's better overall WR, but we need an explosive deep threat in this scheme. It allows us to punish teams in the intermediate range.

Well, the diva doesnt matter -- the only reason you didnt trade for Odell was the asking price. Speaking of a bargain....

It's not a deal-breaker, but in this instance, it's one more reason to steer clear.

AB would cost you about $12M ($10M if we pay the bonus), $6.9M, and $3.9M if you account for Woods being off the roster and his cap savings against Browns remaining numbers. You are also one of the teams who could get him on his current deal with the mind towards unlocking the power of the LA market to him. Also, also -- after a 1/2 year run...you could always look to flip him again to the plethora of teams we simply wont even consider a deal with and get some of those assets back just in time for your salary cap crunch.

Again -- I'm not saying its happening, I am not even saying its likely....but there is absolutely a road that leads to there being a conversation here. You have shown no regret trading assets for players. You have shown the willingness to go all in. You have shown interest in diva receivers. You have a short window before Goff hits/makes a decision. It makes more than "zero" sense. 

He'd cost us $12 million MORE dollars than Woods. Yeah, that's significant. That costs us a key player on defense. Why would we do that when Woods is an extremely effective and productive #2 WR in our scheme on a bargain contract? It doesn't make sense. There isn't a road to a conversation. I imagine we'll be involved in the trade market, but it won't be for a WR. I think we'll look for a pass rusher.