The Gnat's Crazy Off Season

The Gnat

I'm going to skip going into the Game Day Thread (I generally skip even when we win), but let's get into the off season speculation:

Offensive Coordinator: Kevin Stefanski
I think the three games was enough to get him the job, even with how bad the Bears game was, I think a fair amount of that was because of the Bears and offensive line.

Cuts:
Andrew Sendejo
Mike Remmers
Saves: 10.05  Mil

Resign:
Anthony Barr
Anthony Harris
Dan Bailey
Tom Johnson
Then all RFA/ERFA's

Extensions:
Kyle Rudolph
Rework the deal to add in 2 more years, but reduce the cap number by $3 mil this year but guarantees deal this year.

These moves will give the Vikings a little room to play with, but not all that much. The only other large savings the Vikings could get would be cutting Everson Griffen, but I don't think they'll do that this year.

Going into the draft/free agency that makes:
Offensive Guard and Defensive Tackle as the top two priorities with Safety fairly high as well, but I think Harris gets signed and starts.

Free Agents:
DJ Fluker
Probably some smaller signings, but Fluker is the big one.

Draft Picks:
1st - Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
He has dominant this year for Norte Dame and I think next to Joseph and with our defensive line as it is, he could step in and play for day one and cause havoc.
2nd - Cody Ford, OG, Oklahoma
We need help at OG, enough said with that one.
3rd - Austin Bryant, DE, Clemson
The forgotten player on their defensive line. He put up solid numbers this year, and would give the Vikings more rotational depth along the DL.
3rd - Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock
With Murray  moving on to a spot where he can get more playing time, the Vikings will need to add some more talent at RB, and Hills can back-up Cook. Interesting small school prospect.
4th - Alex Bars, OG, Notre Dame
The Vikings tend to get a number of Notre Dame players, and we could use more players at OG.
6th - Hunter Renfroe, WR, Clemson
Could go higher, but I think he'll run a fairly slow 40 time and be sitting with the higher of the two 6th round picks. He seems like a solid option to be that #3/#4 WR that the Vikings need to fill out the WR depth.
6th - Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State
Developmental QB, could potentially turn into something in the NFL, but he's the sort of QB you want as your #3.
7th - Dre Greenlaw, LB, Arkansas
Potential special teams player.
7th -J.R. Reed, S, Georgia
Another potential special teams player.

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I can get behind this.

only thing I’m not 100% fond of is finding real option for Kirk. He’s basically still throwing to the same options. Renfrow I do like, but I would prefer to add some speed to the offense

Yeah, I think right now with the money it's going to be hard to add in too much WR wise this season. Once Treadwell is done on the team next year, they'll address it more.

9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not behind extending Rudolph. If you need to lessen his cap number, you just dump him. He’s on the decline and it’s better to jettison him a bit prematurely than invest more into him. 

I could be wrong, but I think that generally when teams extend a player like that there is very little to nothing guaranteed in those added years. It's essentially a way to decrease cap hit and have the possibility of keeping them around a couple more years if they are still performing. Once again, I may be completely wrong.

I don’t think Bryant lasts til the 3rd. Teams will watch his 17 tape and see him in drills and remember why he was a fringe 1st rounder last year. 

Also really dislike the Fitzgerald pick. He just doesn’t have the accuracy to play QB in the NFL. 

I like the rest of it.

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

I could be wrong, but I think that generally when teams extend a player like that there is very little to nothing guaranteed in those added years. It's essentially a way to decrease cap hit and have the possibility of keeping them around a couple more years if they are still performing. Once again, I may be completely wrong.

Depends on how the new contract is structured. Typically, base salary from the existing year is taken and paid out as a signing bonus. With Rudolph, for instance, let’s say you extend him two more years. Take $6M on his base salary, convert it to a signing bonus, guarantee the rest of his base salary for 2019 and that $6M spread out over the three years of the deal ($2M per year). The Vikings save $4M for 2019 but that’s now dead money for 2020 and 2021. Not a large amount, but still not worth it for $4M this off-season and keeping Rudolph. 

There are other ways to go about it, but you’re either going to have to guarantee some future money (base salary likely), or convert money the player is set to potentially earn in per game checks for the year and give it to them up front in a signing bonus. Either way, there’s likely future dead money that’s necessary as part of the move to get the player to go ahead with an extension. 

This is very similar to what I would’ve done.  I like the Barr extension.  I’m not sure that DJ Fluker would be much of an upgrade over Remmers.  I like your strategy for the draft of targeting a DT in the first round and OL in the second.  Ford is a guy that I really want, but we might have to move up to get him.

3 hours ago, RpMc said:

Not behind extending Rudolph. If you need to lessen his cap number, you just dump him. He’s on the decline and it’s better to jettison him a bit prematurely than invest more into him. 

Decline?  Didn’t he just have 9 receptions for 122 yards and 2 touchdowns?  I think if we fix our OL he will keep producing and have a long career.

3 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Decline?  Didn’t he just have 9 receptions for 122 yards and 2 touchdowns?  I think if we fix our OL he will keep producing and have a long career.

One game?? Is that one game stat line that included a 44 yard Hail Mary touchdown worth 7.5M next year? 

Hes already HAD a long career... but he doesn’t block (in the run or screen game), offers little after the catch, and can’t create his own separation. 

You really think he has multiple years of production left? He’s at best the fourth option on this team. That alone makes him not worth his price tag. 

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Not sure I love Fluker, and two early picks on defense..... The offense is broken. Invest draft capital on the offense. But, if Fluker works out, this off-season would give them a chance. 

I just have a feeling that we need to Brace ourselves a little bit when it comes to OL. I think we get one top 3 round OL in the draft, but the other guard could be a competition between Easton/Compton/Isidora/mid-tier FA. There's a chance Spielman feels the heat and takes 2 OL early, but I think it's more likely we continue to build on defense. Not necessarily what I agree with, just what I foresee happening.

18 hours ago, RpMc said:

Without getting anything in return?  No thanks.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:39 AM, The Gnat said:

I'm going to skip going into the Game Day Thread (I generally skip even when we win), but let's get into the off season speculation:

Offensive Coordinator: Kevin Stefanski
I think the three games was enough to get him the job, even with how bad the Bears game was, I think a fair amount of that was because of the Bears and offensive line.

Cuts:
Andrew Sendejo
Mike Remmers
Saves: 10.05  Mil

Resign:
Anthony Barr
Anthony Harris
Dan Bailey
Tom Johnson
Then all RFA/ERFA's

Extensions:
Kyle Rudolph
Rework the deal to add in 2 more years, but reduce the cap number by $3 mil this year but guarantees deal this year.

These moves will give the Vikings a little room to play with, but not all that much. The only other large savings the Vikings could get would be cutting Everson Griffen, but I don't think they'll do that this year.

Going into the draft/free agency that makes:
Offensive Guard and Defensive Tackle as the top two priorities with Safety fairly high as well, but I think Harris gets signed and starts.

Free Agents:
DJ Fluker
Probably some smaller signings, but Fluker is the big one.

Draft Picks:
1st - Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
He has dominant this year for Norte Dame and I think next to Joseph and with our defensive line as it is, he could step in and play for day one and cause havoc.
2nd - Cody Ford, OG, Oklahoma
We need help at OG, enough said with that one.
3rd - Austin Bryant, DE, Clemson
The forgotten player on their defensive line. He put up solid numbers this year, and would give the Vikings more rotational depth along the DL.
3rd - Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock
With Murray  moving on to a spot where he can get more playing time, the Vikings will need to add some more talent at RB, and Hills can back-up Cook. Interesting small school prospect.
4th - Alex Bars, OG, Notre Dame
The Vikings tend to get a number of Notre Dame players, and we could use more players at OG.
6th - Hunter Renfroe, WR, Clemson
Could go higher, but I think he'll run a fairly slow 40 time and be sitting with the higher of the two 6th round picks. He seems like a solid option to be that #3/#4 WR that the Vikings need to fill out the WR depth.
6th - Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State
Developmental QB, could potentially turn into something in the NFL, but he's the sort of QB you want as your #3.
7th - Dre Greenlaw, LB, Arkansas
Potential special teams player.
7th -J.R. Reed, S, Georgia
Another potential special teams player.

In terms of the draft, Nick Fitzgerald?  That guy is an awful QB, he is a position change in the NFL in my book.  And even if he can play QB is he better than Kyle Sloter?  In no way is he, want a project QB the Vikings have it in Sloter, and Sloter can actually pass the football.  

I agree with DT being a need but not sure Tillery would be the answer in the 1st round.  To me he is more of a 2nd rounder than a 1st rounder.  As for Ford, I would not mind it but the guy could be a RT or he might just go ahead and not even declare for the draft as well.  With Bryant that would be ok but take your pick, there are tons of very talented DEs who will drop because of the depth of the draft, not sure Bryant is the best of the guys who drop will see.  

Bars I would love to get but that kid would be arguably one of the best OGs in the draft if he never got hurt, still might be considered that but could be of good value.  As for Renfroe, he would be ok late but his athletic ability is seriously a pretty big question mark.  Greenlaw after the year he had no sure he is drafted but will see and JR Reed, sweet he is Jake Reed's kid but I doubt he is a 7th round pick, would be a nice pickup though if possible.

This is how I would like the draft to go just looking at it quickly very early on if we have these picks in these rounds.  Obviously changes a ton with players moving up and down with team needs.

1st - Jawaan Taylor Florida OT JR  (or Dalton Risner Kansas State OT/OG SR)
2nd - Jerry Tillery Notre Dame DT SR (or Justin Hollins Oregon OLB RS SR)
3rd - Dru Samia Oklahoma OG SR
3rd - Charles Omenihu Texas DE SR (or Anthony Nelson Iowa DE RS JR) 
4th - Tommy Sweeney Boston College TE RS SR (or Blake Cashman Minnesota OLB RS SR)
6th - Johnnie Dixon Ohio State WR SR
6th - Darrious Carter JMU OLB SR
7th - George Aston Pitt FB RS SR  
7th  - Austin Hoyt BYU OT RS SR

I would agree with resigning Barr and Sendejo is probably a go.  Would be great to get Rudolph back but either Cousins does not know how to pass to TEs or he had a pretty crap year this season I feel in terms of big plays mainly TDs, that could have been his lack of feel with the new QB though.  The LB core has to get faster, with Eric Wilson in there that helped and that kind of speed is needed especially in the NFL of today.  A guy like Gedeon is only good as a ILB and not sure we really even need that now, I do not like him as a OLB much.

For the free agents here are the guys of note at OT, OG and TE to me.  

OT

Trenton Brown - who knows if the Patriots will pay up for him, but kid has played great for them this year, is a possible star down the road.
Bobby Massie - probably will resign with Bears.
Jordan Mills - might not resign but probably will with Bills.

OG

Rodger Saffold - would be shocked to see the Rams let him go
JR Sweezy - athletic OG, would be hard to get
Mark Glowinski - tough guy and has had a great year, doubt the Colts let him go though but he is very interesting
DJ Fluker - would like getting him, big mauler but probably will not happen
Nick Easton - Is a free agent for the Vikings, do we bring him back I have no idea.
John Miller - could be cheap and is a decent player at times
AJ Cann - strong guard, might be reasonable cost.
Jeff Allen - versatile OL but probably will stay
BJ Finney - could be of good value and might be cheap, strong player

TE

Maxx Williams - the Ravens are obviously going to let some of them go, could be a decent price pickup
Nick Boyle - love his toughness and strength but might not be a fit, good player
Ross Travis - local kid, awesome athlete and super potential as a big body WR/TE
Erik Swoope - another big time athlete at the position, could be a good pass catcher

So yeah not a ton of super talented guys out there at a glance the Vikings could get.  But I would trade the contract for Remmers to get Trent Brown no question.  Remmers got a little under $4 million this year and is scheduled to get $5.6, $6 and $6.5 the next three years, the Vikings HAVE TO get out of that freaking deal.  He is barely a starter in terms of how he plays and the transition to guard obviously did not work all that well.  Brown is not experienced but has shown enough as a OT to be more valuable than Remmers.  Can we just cut Remmers and pay him non of that deal?  Oh wait $10 million of it is guaranteed out of the $30 million contract...

Archived