Favourite weather conditions for NFL games

Hunter2_1

What are your favourite conditions to watch a game in?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite conditions to watch a game in?

• Clear, fine and sunny
    • Windy
    • Snow and/or blizzard
    • Rain
    • Hot and/or humid
    • Freezing cold (NFC CG 2008)
    • Standard/Normal - so it has no baring on the play

Might seem a strange question, but it intrigues me. I think no other sport comes close to having a weather narrative like the NFL does.

There is something beautiful and unique about watching a game in the snow. Games like Pats/Raiders and Eagles/Lions stick in the memory.

Games in the freezing cold add more tension and nerves, I'd say. You get the sense of genuine battle (or something similar) knowing the players are duking it out in conditions that provide genuine pain

Clear and sunny games usually means players are at their peak. Passing game is at it's maximum (condition permitting wise), and players can run freely

Windy conditions means you can get funky scoreline and drama with kicks. Passing game might be disrupted as well, so if you're playing a pass heavy team, it can even it up a bit

Hot and humid means more fatigue, more rotation, genuine health hazards etc.

There's also extreme fog, like the fog bowl played between Ditka's Bears and Buddy Ryan's Eagles during the 80's. My favorite though is definitely Snow/blizzard. It's too bad more and more teams are moving into domes or stadiums with retractable roofs. Like the Vikings... kind of takes the fun out of watching the Vikings*.

*I know we haven't had a permanent stadium that was open air for about forty years now.

Snow or extreme cold. Love watching tackles in the snow and players sliding an extra 5 yards and not being able to see the lines it gives football an almost backyard quality. There's just something about extremely cold games that just scream NFL to me though. The air coming out of the facemask in a cold game is just epic and you just know that every hit hurts a little bit more.

1 hour ago, RedRider said:

It's too bad more and more teams are moving into domes or stadiums with retractable roofs. Like the Vikings... kind of takes the fun out of watching the Vikings*.

As one of the few extreme weather teams I'm pretty disappointed that the Vikings went with a pansy stadium. In baseball I think a retractable roof makes a lot of sense but football.....

I love a good rain game - the field is mush and guys are just slipping and sliding all over the place. Makes for some epic chaos, there's always one or two guys who can find good footing and they just take over a game.

I don't care for extremely cold temperatures, I just want snow coming down.  That's when true grit comes out and pounding the rock really matters.  Those are always the most exciting because ball control really matters and anything can happen.

16 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I like snow/cold games, but don't care much for the heavy winds/rain. Mostly because of how much it can actually limit some offenses.

Yeah. To counter that though, imagine if you supported a team that was going up against a team that relied on air raids, and it was gale force winds. You'd be excited wouldn't you :D

Archived