An Indepth Look At The Playoffs

stl4life07

28 minutes ago, Special Teamer said:

Isn't that why you're making the case that the Saints/Bears have a better chance? ....technically making them underdogs in your eyes?

No they're not underdogs.  Everybody EXPECTS them to get to the nfccg.  They have home field and a bye.  Being an underdog is about EXPECTATIONS.  Bears are playing with house money and people are saying they should worry about Foles.  They're not underdogs. The Eagles are underdogs.  The Ravens are underdogs, you could even call the Cowboys underdogs, but the Rams, Saints, and Bears have clearly been 3 of the 5 best teams in the league this year.  They arent underdogs.

I wouldn’t call the Chiefs the best team in the AFC. They just lost maybe the best back in the conference, their defense is complete ***, and Andy Reid is notorious for blowing playoff games. It’s ride or die on the back of Mahomes’ arm and he’s never been in the dance before.

I’ll take the Patriots, Chargers, and Colts over them and put the Ravens on par with them.

On 31/12/2018 at 8:10 PM, FrantikRam said:

AFC:

Best: Chiefs/Chargers

Worst: Texans/Colts

Most dangerous: Ravens

Winner: Patriots

All about match ups. It's the Patriots, so lady luck will smile their good fortune and gift them the worst AFC playoff team: the Texans. Hopkins, Watt, Clowney and Hopkins - how are they the worst? Watson was sacked an ungodly amount of times. Their running game is shaky against good teams. And I just don't think they're very good. They have two wins against playoff teams and both (Colts and Cowboys) came before these teams were actually, well, playoff caliber teams. They lost to the "playoff" Colts next time they played in Houston.

I believe either the Ravens, Chargers or Chiefs *could* beat the Patriots - but if Houston beats the Colts, that's an easy win for the Patriots - which will force the Chiefs to play either the Chargers or Ravens - one beat them in KC and the other took them to OT. I believe the Chiefs will lose gifting the Patriots with a home game for the AFCCG, in which they will narrowly defeat the Chargers or Ravens, similar to last year against the Jags.

Exactly how I see it happening

On 1/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

No they're not underdogs.  Everybody EXPECTS them to get to the nfccg.  They have home field and a bye.  Being an underdog is about EXPECTATIONS.  Bears are playing with house money and people are saying they should worry about Foles.  They're not underdogs. The Eagles are underdogs.  The Ravens are underdogs, you could even call the Cowboys underdogs, but the Rams, Saints, and Bears have clearly been 3 of the 5 best teams in the league this year.  They arent underdogs.

If the Bears and Rams play in the Divisional Round, who is favored?

Just now, SWATcha said:

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say the line opens at Rams -2.5 because they're at home. 

I think that is a very good estimate and I agree with you.

I should rephrase my question to ask who @Superman(DH23) would favor since my original post referred to underdogs "in his eyes".

I guess my point is, the underdog would be the team that isn't favored.

2 hours ago, Special Teamer said:

I think that is a very good estimate and I agree with you.

I should rephrase my question to ask who @Superman(DH23) would favor since my original post referred to underdogs "in his eyes".

I guess my point is, the underdog would be the team that isn't favored.

I would agree with swat in terms of who's favored.  Doesnt mean I wouldnt expect the Bears to win, but in terms of who's favored, I would say the rams will be coming off the bye at home.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:47 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Least: Patriots.  Stay with me here.  The Pat's dont have a top 10 defense or offense.  They are 11-5 in a division where they are virtually guaranteed to go 5-1 or 6-0 every year.  They are likely to be hosting the Chargers in the divisional round and will be the inferior team talent wise by far.  Yeah yeah every year we hear about the Pat's demise and I'll believe it when I see it, but honestly on a neutral field, I'm taking any of the other 5 teams.

Except that's false.  Patriots only went 6-0 twice during the Brady/Belichick era.  Now granted Patriots go 5-1 more often than 4-2, but when their winning % is about the same against the AFC East as it is with the rest of the league.

On 2019-01-02 at 12:12 PM, dtait93 said:

I wouldn’t call the Chiefs the best team in the AFC. They just lost maybe the best back in the conference, their defense is complete ***, and Andy Reid is notorious for blowing playoff games. It’s ride or die on the back of Mahomes’ arm and he’s never been in the dance before.

I’ll take the Patriots, Chargers, and Colts over them and put the Ravens on par with them.

The Chiefs are absolutely the best team in the AFC.

Their offense is historically good.

They have the best group of passrushers in the AFC.

And now they will be playing at home throughout the playoffs. Their defense is ranked #3 in opponent passer rating at home, behind Baltimore and Chicago. It is ranked #6 in PPG again right behind Baltimore and Chicago. It must be said that they didn't face a great group of QBs at home but this is still impressive and it shows the home field advantage. The rushing defense is bad through and through though, I will give you that.

I don't expect them to win the SB but not reaching the SB at this point would be a massive disappointment. But what's once more lol!?

1 hour ago, Buckweath said:

The Chiefs are absolutely the best team in the AFC.

Their offense is historically good.

They have the best group of passrushers in the AFC.

And now they will be playing at home throughout the playoffs. Their defense is ranked #3 in opponent passer rating at home, behind Baltimore and Chicago. It is ranked #6 in PPG again right behind Baltimore and Chicago. It must be said that they didn't face a great group of QBs at home but this is still impressive and it shows the home field advantage. The rushing defense is bad through and through though, I will give you that.

I don't expect them to win the SB but not reaching the SB at this point would be a massive disappointment. But what's once more lol!?

Lol yeah I’m not putting any stock in to that defense even if they are playing at home and I’m definitely not taking either of those stats seriously. The non-playoff QB’s they played this year were Mullens, Bortles, Dalton, Keenum, Rosen, and Carr. That is HORRIBLE. I can’t believe they weren’t ranked first in points allowed at home playing against those cupcakes.

Their historically good offense is now without the perhaps best back in the AFC, offenses that rely on the passing attack get historically worse in cold weather, and Andy Reid shrinks as a playcaller in the postseason.

They will not reach the Super Bowl.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Yeah its absurd to call the Bears underdogs. The pressure is squarely on their shoulders to win. As it should be as a 12-4 team. 

33 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Lol yeah I’m not putting any stock in to that defense even if they are playing at home and I’m definitely not taking either of those stats seriously. The non-playoff QB’s they played this year were Mullens, Bortles, Dalton, Keenum, Rosen, and Carr. That is HORRIBLE. I can’t believe they weren’t ranked first in points allowed at home playing against those cupcakes.

Their historically good offense is now without the perhaps best back in the AFC, offenses that rely on the passing attack get historically worse in cold weather, and Andy Reid shrinks as a playcaller in the postseason.

They will not reach the Super Bowl.

It is hard to take you seriously when you single out the non playoffs QBs they faced at home for no good reason, let alone mentioning Mullens when they faced Garoppolo.

56 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

It is hard to take you seriously when you single out the non playoffs QBs they faced at home for no good reason, let alone mentioning Mullens when they faced Garoppolo.

Fair enough on the Garoppolo point, I didn't do all my research as I should have. But now that I have, let's break the Chiefs defense down for what it is with the 2 stats you provided - passer rating and points allowed at home.

When they played halfway decent QB's (Garoppolo, Rivers, Jackson) they allowed an average passer rating of 101.4 and allowed almost 27 points a game.

When they played pond-scum level QB's (Bortles, Dalton, Keenum, Rosen, Carr) they allowed an average passer rating of 67.1 and allowed almost 13 points a game.

I specifically singled out the non-playoff QB's for plenty good reason - they will not have the benefit of playing those level of QB's in the playoffs. The passer rating and points allowed at home stats are heavily skewed because your defense got the benefit of playing some of the worst QB's in the NFL. Brady, Watson, Luck, and Rivers are leagues better than those guys, and Jackson's already proven he can do enough damage to take you to overtime and post a 100+ QB rating. When your defense played against decent competition it was exposed for what we all know it is - bad.

Archived