Around the NFL - Playoffs Baby

Texas_OutLaw7

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

The OT rule was already changed to give the other team the possession of the ball if a FG is made on the initial drive.

I realize that.  What I'm saying is the game shouldn't end because one team scores a TD  on its first possession.  The other club gets a chance to answer.

19 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

The OT rule was already changed to give the other team the possession of the ball if a FG is made on the initial drive.

Interesting stat

Coin Toss Winner Winning %:

NFL: 52.7%
College Football: 54.9%

People stress about this way too much in my opinion. The Coin Toss loser has a major factor that levels the playing field, in that they have the potential outcome to win the game on a field goal on their first OT possession.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Interesting stat

Coin Toss Winner Winning %:

NFL: 52.7%
College Football: 54.9%

People stress about this way too much in my opinion. The Coin Toss loser has a major factor that levels the playing field, in that they have the potential outcome to win the game on a field goal on their first OT possession.

That is an interesting stat, indeed. Good find.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Only the Browns could have done something like this.

Man, even people from our board know who is still available and who isn't. Especially the first round. 

This is why I don't put the "professionals" on a pedestal. Sure the athletes deserve to be, but these decision makers are just football fans. Not brain surgeons. They grew up loving football just like we did. They played in school just like we did. And when high school was over they continued a path in football, as some fans do. 

5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Man, even people from our board know who is still available and who isn't. Especially the first round. 

This is why I don't put the "professionals" on a pedestal. Sure the athletes deserve to be, but these decision makers are just football fans. Not brain surgeons. They grew up loving football just like we did. They played in school just like we did. And when high school was over they continued a path in football, as some fans do. 

In any professional organization, there is an unbelievable amount of incompetence and waste. Even in organizations we think of as being well oiled machines like Apple or Amazon, it’s amazing.

That said, I do somewhat disagree with this take. Being a professional is different than being a fan. These guys put in 80 hour weeks, are trained and study to hone their skills, and are accountable to people and their organization. Not a lot different than being a lawyer, CEO, accountant, or many other professiona etc.

22 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

In any professional organization, there is an unbelievable amount of incompetence and waste. Even in organizations we think of as being well oiled machines like Apple or Amazon, it’s amazing.

That said, I do somewhat disagree with this take. Being a professional is different than being a fan. These guys put in 80 hour weeks, are trained and study to hone their skills, and are accountable to people and their organization. Not a lot different than being a lawyer, CEO, accountant, or many other professiona etc.

Yet they don't know who went in the 1st round...

Obviously I know the experience they have is different than being a regular fan. At the end of the day though, it's a sport that can be analyzed from afar with just about the same effectiveness as from within. Which is why the media and fans have the 1st round of the draft pretty well mapped out every year days before the first team goes on the clock. And when a team does make a surprise pick like say.... Taco over TJ Watt... it doesn't always mean they are right, because we are just fans.

it is quite different from other proffessions, as I am able to follow along with industry standards without being in the industry. I can study the same things they can from my couch. I would be pretty confident in say.... you, WH, FM30 etc... taking over a football team. I know that you guys know your stuff, and I know that it's a pretty straight forward game. 

However I wouldn't be near as confident if you were my surgeons.

A whole room full of professionals sat around a table and not one of them pointed put that the guy they were about to call was already taken. The player getting drafted broke the news to them. And this wasn't like the same day with 10 minutes on the clock in scramble mode. They had a whole 24 hours, and still couldn't figure it out.

When we have our little fantasy drafts in the forum, and someone picks a guy who was already taken, the post doesn't last 5 minutes on the message board before two people have called him out and another is making fun of him.

14 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Yet they don't know who went in the 1st round...

Obviously I know the experience they have is different than being a regular fan. At the end of the day though, it's a sport that can be analyzed from afar with just about the same effectiveness as from within. Which is why the media and fans have the 1st round of the draft pretty well mapped out every year days before the first team goes on the clock. And when a team does make a surprise pick like say.... Taco over TJ Watt... it doesn't always mean they are right, because we are just fans.

it is quite different from other proffessions, as I am able to follow along with industry standards without being in the industry. I can study the same things they can from my couch. I would be pretty confident in say.... you, WH, FM30 etc... taking over a football team. I know that you guys know your stuff, and I know that it's a pretty straight forward game. 

However I wouldn't be near as confident if you were my surgeons.

Someone accidentally pulled the phone number for Cameron Jordan instead of Jordan Cameron. That is hardly “not knowing who went in the first round”.

I have been finding more and more lately that nuance is a lost art in this forum. I agree there is a lot of incompetence. I stated that from the beginning. 

7 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Someone accidentally pulled the phone number for Cameron Jordan instead of Jordan Cameron. That is hardly “not knowing who went in the first round”.

...oh. Well that makes me feel better. Also, I probably shouldn’t hold the entire league accountable for things the Browns do.

• Like 1