Around the NFL - Playoffs Baby

Texas_OutLaw7

6 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

But what does that matter? What if they had just ripped the old contract up and given him a 5 year deal for $157 instead of this 4 year extension?

Those two things are literally the exact same.

do you think daks agent is going to be working off the 31 number or the 35?

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think the Cowboys would be more than happy giving him $35M/year if he keeps his $2M salary for 2019, if all they care about is the number and not Dak’s actual payout.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I think the Cowboys would be more than happy giving him $35M/year if he keeps his $2M salary for 2019.

and thats going to be crippling.

getting the deal done when Aaron Rodgers was the only player over $30m would have made a much better negotiation. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

and thats going to be crippling.

getting the deal done when Aaron Rodgers was the only player over $30m would have made a much better negotiation. 

I guess my point was that when they analyze it, there is no way the Cowboys are giving him $35M/year starting this year. The average salary Dak gets through the end of his deal will be much closer to Wilson’s 5 year number than his 4 year number. 

In the end, I agree. Better to sign earlier than later. It always end up costing more. But I do think that we’ll look at a $31M/year contract in 2022 and think we have a pretty decent contract, when the going rate is $40+.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

It won't matter how decent the contract looks to other QBs that are better than Dak. 

The contract will look like garbage in 4 years if we don't win championships 

Each franchise has about a .03% chance of winning the Super Bowl every year, roughly. 

It'd be great if we win a couple Super Bowls...but it's an extremely competitive sport and only one team hoists the trophy at the end of the year. You have to pay to keep good players, and Dak is just that. He gives you a chance to compete for championships. So I wouldn't say giving him a similar contract would be "garbage". 

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

How good/bad the contract looks in 4 years has more to do with the next CBA than anything else

i do agree with this. there is a reason wilson attempted to make his salary a percentage of the cap.

but the most a qb has ever made and won the superbowl is like 15%. so at $35m  its going to take a hell of a cap increase.

this spike in qb salaries might seriously make the next 10 years irrelevant to be a cowboys fan.

38 minutes ago, D82 said:

Each franchise has about a .03% chance of winning the Super Bowl every year, roughly. 

It'd be great if we win a couple Super Bowls...but it's an extremely competitive sport and only one team hoists the trophy at the end of the year. You have to pay to keep good players, and Dak is just that. He gives you a chance to compete for championships. So I wouldn't say giving him a similar contract would be "garbage". 

you called it 3% but its really 50% the pats and 50% if an nfceast team can make it. we are their kryptonite.

Edited by Matts4313

Regardless if we pay Dak $10 million or $35 million, it's going to come down to "Are we going to lose anyone valuable because were paying Dak $X"?

We have shown we can win with Dak if he has all the right pieces around him. I believe he can be better with better coaching.

Where im not so sure is, Can we win with Dak if we lose Zeke and say Jaylon Smith and La'el Collins?

Dak can be good but I dont think he is good enough to overcome losing significant pieces.

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I say if he is that expensive then we draft a new QB and start over. It seems to be getting easier for young QB's to come into talented teams and just succeed. And we've built one.

7 hours ago, D82 said:

Pats, Seahawks, Bronco's must be really lucky to have been in multiple SB's then over the last 5 to 6 years.

I'd say it's more then just a roll of the dice. But that's just me.