Around the NFL - Playoffs Baby

Texas_OutLaw7

10 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

It truly is horrible. NFL has to start making these guys accountable in some way. Maybe they do. If they are, they aren't doing enough. Some of these calls are beyond bad and really can't be explained away outside of .... Oh god. I'm about to agree with @Rtnldave ... it's fixed. 

The NFL needs to take a page from the NHL when it comes to playoffs.  No penalties unless it's a flagrant violation.  So the Rams DB leveling the Saints WR before the ball arrives is called.  Roughing the passer on Brady for hitting him in the shoulder?  Bogus.  The story is the official had a bad angle.  If you've got a bad angle don't make any call.  KC did run a pick on it's final TD which should've been called.  The offside on KC for a hand in the neutral zone?  That's cheap.  But it's the NFL.  I'm a fan of no team in the Super Bowl may not even watch it because I know there will be a controversial call or non call that tips the scales.  There is no repercussions of substance for these officials.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Northland said:

The NFL needs to take a page from the NHL when it comes to playoffs.  No penalties unless it's a flagrant violation.  So the Rams DB leveling the Saints WR before the ball arrives is called.  Roughing the passer on Brady for hitting him in the shoulder?  Bogus.  The story is the official had a bad angle.  If you've got a bad angle don't make any call.  KC did run a pick on it's final TD which should've been called.  The offside on KC for a hand in the neutral zone?  That's cheap.  But it's the NFL.  I'm a fan of no team in the Super Bowl may not even watch it because I know there will be a controversial call or non call that tips the scales.  There is no repercussions of substance for these officials.

I think unless it's blatantly obvious, it shouldn't be called. Take away the speculation and human error.

29 minutes ago, Northland said:

I'm not watching the SB. Screw the Patriots and screw the Rams. Both teams got great help on their wins by the refs. It's sickening. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, D82 said:

I think unless it's blatantly obvious, it shouldn't be called. Take away the speculation and human error.

The uncalled PI late in the Saints-Rams game was blatantly obvious but the refs ignored it. How do you correct that? I’d argue that penalties (called AND uncalled) should be challengeable. This way, it forces the refs to get it right, esepcially when they screw it up as badly as they did today.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

The uncalled PI late in the Saints-Rams game was blatantly obvious but the refs ignored it. How do you correct that? I’d argue that penalties (called AND uncalled) should be challengeable. This way, it forces the refs to get it right, esepcially when they screw it up as badly as they did today.

I'd be fine with that. Make all calls reviewable. 

4 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Making certain penalties reviewable is the only way to fix the problem but it’s also a Pandora’s box because there is literally a penalty on every play by both teams somewhere.  Basically we have to accept the human error element.

This would definitely be an issue. Maybe give coaches the option of reviewing 1 penalty/non-penalty per game. Should be fines levied for missing plays like the PI.

16 minutes ago, Northland said:

I think the overtime rules need to change too.  Both teams need to get a possession.  

Absolutely. Should have happened years ago.