League 2019 off season

dll2000

Adam Schefter said he knows for a fact Jones would have been there at 17.    Every team flat told him their pick.

He believes he would have been there in 2nd too.  That is a lot of fodder for NY media if this guy doesn't produce dividends or one of other subsequent top 10 picks has big season.  Particularly Allen.

Not really fair to Giants though.  They don't have same inside intel as Schefter.  

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Adam Schefter said he knows for a fact Jones would have been there at 17.    Every team flat told him their pick.

He believes he would have been there in 2nd too.  That is a lot of fodder for NY media if this guy doesn't produce dividends or one of other subsequent top 10 picks has big season.  Particularly Allen.

Not really fair to Giants though.  They don't have same inside intel as Schefter.  

I dont get why teams leak to Schefter or anyone so much.  What's in it for them? 

I understand they trust him not to say anything until it won't hurt them, but why do they care whether he knows or not? 

I know people like to build relationships with media members so they can use them for a message when they need a message, but I feel like they could do that anyway.  In politics it comes into play, but in football I dont see it being particularly beneficial. 

Maybe NFL just wants some guys in know and driving interest and promoting game 365.  That would make sense. 

Total information lock down would not be as interesting.  I think some people just can't help but talk too.  Its just in their nature to tell secrets if they know them.   

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Jets fan here, random question for you. How good is Josh Bellamy as a special teamer? We gave him 2.75 mil to presumably only play special teams.  

he is a serviceable 4-5 WR and was a top 3 ST on our team.

he's exactly what you want out of the roster spot that he's taking up. 2.75 might be a little bit more than he's worth, but that price doesn't seem unreasonable

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Jets fan here, random question for you. How good is Josh Bellamy as a special teamer? We gave him 2.75 mil to presumably only play special teams.  

Brings a ton of energy to the team, very well liked, hockey players would say he's "good in the room." He's a pretty good ST player and he has decent hands but nothing better; he must've worked at it because two years ago he was a train wreck offensively

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Top shelf coverage guy on ST and a guy who can play all three WR positions and has improved nicely as a receiver over the past two seasons.

Well liked by teammates and a spark plug on game days.  Sorry to see him go but we're stacked at WR with vets and a high 2018 draft pick and we have less expensive younger prospects to compete for backup and ST roles so Josh just became too pricey to keep.

IMHO you're getting a top notch football player who can fill a #3 or #4 WR role adequately and also be a ST standout.

Edited by soulman

I'm telling you guys everytime I talk to people outside the Bears forum they say stuff like this:

I am not saying he cant improve, just that its not as simple as 'oh its year two therefore he will be better'. There is nothing we have seen from MT at the pro level to think he can suddenly go through progressions like ALL above average-elite QBs do. Reading defenses is something you can learn, so I do expect some improvement year over year, but enough to make him more than just a product of the system in year 2? unlikely. 

You say 'first year in a new system' but disregard how QB friendly that system is. As stated, nagy is a great play designer and play caller. He got guys open. MT hit some open guys, I wont fault him too much for that, but he isn't a guy I expect to make off script plays with his arm. I will say he is a dangerous runner, which is why I likened him to Kaepernick. Both guys struggle(d) going through reads and relied on their legs a lot. 

He may become an elite QB, but he has some ways to go before he is considered 'average' IMO. He is a lot farther away than a lot of Bears fans would like to believe, and this is coming from someone who actually liked MT coming out.

It can be on twitter or wherever.  I hear it on podcasts all the time.  People dont respect MT.  You guys say to me, "you know he went to pro bowl right?!?" As an alternate. Our pro bowlers were Mack, Cohen, Hicks, Fuller and Jackson. 

Don't shoot the messenger.  Just telling you the perception of MT outside Bearsdom is not very good.

Not only that, a lot of people think Bears aren't really a good team in 2019 either.  They say of course you think they are good you are a Bears fan. Of course you think MT is good you are a Bears fan.

I have said for many years they havent been good  - before the seasons started and during the seasons.

This is first year in a very long time I am saying this is a good team.   Not only that, this is a contending team. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Don't shoot the messenger.  Just telling you the perception of MT outside Bearsdom is not very good.

Perception has made a lot of people look very stupid over the years...frankly I couldn't care less what other fans see or even other NFL teams...if Pace & Nagy rates Trubisky (which they clearly do)...and if his team mates rate him (which they clearly do) then that is the only thing that will ever matter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Perception has made a lot of people look very stupid over the years...frankly I couldn't care less what other fans see or even other NFL teams...if Pace & Nagy rates Trubisky (which they clearly do)...and if his team mates rate him (which they clearly do) then that is the only thing that will ever matter.

I have been both critical and praising of MT as warranted.  He had some stinker games, great games and was mostly a mixed bag.  Who didn't predict that happening last year?  Most everyone here said that would happen pre-season.   The expected outcome, for him not the team which surpassed expectations, was the outcome.  

I'm not sure why so many people think he is bad though or won't or can't improve.  Because he missed some throws last year?  So what?  He also showed great accuracy and touch on a number of other throws.  

He clearly has talent, is intelligent and is a hard worker.  Why couldn't he become good if he has tools, coaching and surrounding talent?  I see no reason.  

Just hot take society?  

• Like 1

RE: MT; I blame PFF which has been pounding this drum that every fan expects linear progression for their team and players and it doesn't happen often.  It is an up and down graph.  

Players often statistically regress, true.   But there are often reasons for it:  Off field trouble.  Injury (most common).  New coaches or scheme.  Lack of drive or sufficient offseason training.  Age.  Attitude puts them in dog house.   In case of QBs perhaps lack of weapons or more often poor offensive line.  

None of these things are true for MT at this time.  

You can't just plug people into a statistical calculator and say they are likely to be worse because of the mean.

Young QB with a new coach and a young talented team all points to improvement in 2nd year.  

Considering that Mitch's first year as a starting QB was actually a regression from what he'd done in college I make last season more like his second season as a college starter and with that added experience in hand he would have seemed to be a less risky pick at #2 overall.

2018 was a year of not only getting his feet wet in a new offense with some fairly complex requirements for him to master but he was also working with 3 WRs and a TE he'd never worked with before.  Given those challenges he still progressed throughout the season and did OK.

Now it's 2019 and many of those reasons have gone away.  Now we get to find out what we truly have in him and whether he's on track to become a franchise QB or not.  Screw what the critics and statmeisters at PFF say.  They're being proven more wrong than right these days.

Edited by soulman

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

2018 was a year of not only getting his feet wet in a new offense with some fairly complex requirements for him to master but he was also working with 3 WRs and a TE he'd never worked with before.  Given those challenges he still progressed throughout the season and did OK.

I love how the outside take is the offense is simplistic and QB friendly and Nagy schemes guys wide open for Mitch.  

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

Now it's 2019 and many of those reasons have gone away.  Now we get to find out what we truly have in him and whether he's on track to become a franchise QB or not.  Screw what the critics and statmeisters at PFF say.  They're being proven more wrong than right these days.

This is certainly a year where a lot of excuses exit stage left.   I think he is up for it though.  Certainly will still be some ups and downs.  PFF is right in sense that it won't be a chart with a continuing up arrow.  I think it would be foolish to expect that.  

Goff is a great example.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 12:24 PM, NJC33 said:

What about Kevin Pierre-Lewis?  It looks like he was similarly brought mainly for special teams and some LB depth.