League 2019 off season

dll2000

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Seems like that's just La Canfora though, right? But that's just for now--I agree with your general notion. That opinion will probably catch on, or go round, in the media. I've seen it from a number of members here, so that's a good indication. Most are talking about how the Bears' defense can't duplicate their success from last season, which is weird on many levels. 

They're right to a certain extent, to expect THAT level of performance is unrealistic, but they arent going to completely go away either.  They may still be the best D in the league, just not historically good.  But the idea that the idea that the Bears are going to come crashing down is pretty laughable.  JLC said it so that means it wont happen.  16-0 here we come baby

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

They're right to a certain extent, to expect THAT level of performance is unrealistic, but they arent going to completely go away either.  They may still be the best D in the league, just not historically good.  But the idea that the idea that the Bears are going to come crashing down is pretty laughable.  JLC said it so that means it wont happen.  16-0 here we come baby

LOL. I know, right? As far as the Bears defense goes, it may be hard to duplicate the takeaways, etc., but I don't think it's out of the question at all that they do better in yards/game, AND also have fewer straight up stinker performances, or even none at all. Of course, "the Bears will regress" notion, if it becomes a thing, will most likely mean people will be dismissing the offense and not admitting it will be even better this coming season...

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 7:53 AM, dll2000 said:

From Jason "Never met a prediction I couldn't get wrong" LaCanfora.  LOL

I guess that's being too harsh.  After all Jay Cutler is finally in Nashville.

If the Bears regress than IMHO it will be due to injuries and games lost by key starters.  If anything the roster should be better and deeper than in 2018 especially on offense.  I don't see a major let down on defense and if Mitch continues to progress the offense should be far more consistent and productive.

I really am trying to be realistic and not just a homer so other than simply saying things for the purpose of click bait I can't find any real substance behind any of the regression arguments.  Overall I don't see a better roster in the NFCN than the one the Bears should have.

Green Bay will always have a shot as long as Rodger can draw breath but Minny?  Apparently he didn't watch our 2nd game against them last season.

34 minutes ago, soulman said:

I really am trying to be realistic and not just a homer so other than simply saying things for the purpose of click bait I can't find any real substance behind any of the regression arguments.  Overall I don't see a better roster in the NFCN than the one the Bears should have.

There isn't any. Folks who bring that up are assuming the offense will hold steady. It won't, even if Trubisky doesn't improve much. Which absolutely isn't happening, but let's consider everything else--Robinson second year off of surgery, Miller's second year (and with a repaired shoulder), Patterson to help out with kicks--and with his own contributions to the gameplan, Montgomery is probably an upgrade over Howard--but either way Montgomery PLUS Davis is definitely an upgrade overall (and there's also Whyte), the line should be even better...

I could go on and on. Outside of an unfortunate rash of injuries, this should be an exceptionally fun season to watch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

There isn't any. Folks who bring that up are assuming the offense will hold steady. It won't, even if Trubisky doesn't improve much. Which absolutely isn't happening, but let's consider everything else--Robinson second year off of surgery, Miller's second year (and with a repaired shoulder), Patterson to help out with kicks--and with his own contributions to the gameplan, Montgomery is probably an upgrade over Howard--but either way Montgomery PLUS Davis is definitely an upgrade overall (and there's also Whyte), the line should be even better...

I could go on and on. Outside of an unfortunate rash of injuries, this should be an exceptionally fun season to watch. 

That's it: injuries. Long missed a ton of games, Floyd played hurt for the first few weeks, Amukamara's always banged up, Long/Mack/AR two missed games each, Callahan quite a few, Jackson 3 or so. It's not like they had terrific injury luck last year. The assumption is a big name guy (Trubisky, Leno, Smith, Mack, Hicks) gets hurt for an extended period of time sooner than later. I hope it's not this year

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The assumption is a big name guy (Trubisky, Leno, Smith, Mack, Hicks) gets hurt for an extended period of time sooner than later. I hope it's not this year

I guess? From what I've seen, the DOOM hasn't even taken any kind of predictive shape yet. The detractors still be hopin'...

So LaCanfora and other project massive regression but ESPN now comes out and predicts an 11-5 season which is as probable as 12-4, 13-3, 14-2 or if we lose Mitch or Mack maybe 10-6 or even 9-7.  Preseason predictions don't amount to much when no one, and I mean no one saw any better than 8-8 in 2018.

18 hours ago, soulman said:

So LaCanfora and other project massive regression but ESPN now comes out and predicts an 11-5 season which is as probable as 12-4, 13-3, 14-2 or if we lose Mitch or Mack maybe 10-6 or even 9-7.  Preseason predictions don't amount to much when no one, and I mean no one saw any better than 8-8 in 2018.

Predicting records is kind of the wackiest football prognostication, anyway. There's just so many variables, it's screwier than grading draft classes. Let's single out the Packers for an example. What if LaFleur ends up being a terrible coach, and the Packers win, like, three games? What if Mack breaks Aaron Rodgers' collarbone on the first play of the first game? That's obviously crazy bad for the Pack, but that likely gives the Bears two wins guaranteed that sports writers wouldn't have them down for when guessing at an overall record. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Predicting records is kind of the wackiest football prognostication, anyway. There's just so many variables, it's screwier than grading draft classes. Let's single out the Packers for an example. What if LaFleur ends up being a terrible coach, and the Packers win, like, three games? What if Mack breaks Aaron Rodgers' collarbone on the first play of the first game? That's obviously crazy bad for the Pack, but that likely gives the Bears two wins guaranteed that sports writers wouldn't have them down for when guessing at an overall record. 

jumping0045.gif   Stop teasing me like that.  Tastypuddle.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Wentz just got paid. 

Will be Blueprint for Goff and Prescott next.  

MT, Watson and Mahomz up next year. 

Wentz is a good player and worth every dime... if healthy. Big if for him.

Prescott, imo, isn't any good. Lots of rumors that McVay may go elsewhere for a QB rather than paying Goff. Supposedly he believes he can work with any QB

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Wentz is a good player and worth every dime... if healthy. Big if for him.

Prescott, imo, isn't any good. Lots of rumors that McVay may go elsewhere for a QB rather than paying Goff. Supposedly he believes he can work with any QB

Prescott will get paid good or not.  Jones already said so. 

Goff I assume will.  Not extending him would be a shocking move.  

• Like 1