League 2019 off season

dll2000

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If Helfrich goes I want DeFilippo. Our OC is basically a glorified QB coach anyway, Nagy won't be handing him the playcalling duties so really he just gets to work with Tru as he did with Wentz.

Nagy won't hand playcalling duties over. With Fangio (or Bowles or whoever the vet that would replace him in the unlikely loss of Vic) handling the defense entirely he will keep total control of the offense.

I think he was talking about Vic taking Groh with him to Miami potentially

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

... I too wont begrudge Vic getting an HC job bc it's long overdue.  I'd hope that Donatell could step in or Nagy could bring in Bowles.

I would hate to see Vic leave but Todd Bowles as DC would be okay with me!

• Like 1

Helfrich isn't ready yet.  His hiring would be premature.  He has to have a season or at least half a season calling plays first and real responsibility other than helper.

Nagy will give it to him. He wants to follow in Reids footsteps and pay training forward, but H has to pay dues first like Nagy did.

Fangio would be a huge loss, but I would never hire a defensive head coach in today's NFL.  I might pay them like one. 

If your offense stands out your OC is gone to next open HC job. If it doesn't well that isn't good either. It takes at least 3 years to have offensive continuity and a QB that can just play in it without thinking too much. You'll never get that with a defensive HC. 

It takes like 5 minutes to teach a blitz or an assignment. Takes 10k reps to master just one passing concept against every look.

You see the difference? Not that coaching D is easy.  There are a million nuances, higher level mind games and recogition of keys. But just learning a defensive scheme is way, way easier from a player stand point.

42 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Gase lands in Cleveland...Mayfield is a huge selling point.

Maybe. McCarthy has been rumored there since before he was even officially fired, though. Cleveland would be better off with Gase, for sure. All those Dolphins fans who currently are glad to see him gone...aren't thinking clearly. 

43 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Maybe. McCarthy has been rumored there since before he was even officially fired, though. Cleveland would be better off with Gase, for sure. All those Dolphins fans who currently are glad to see him gone...aren't thinking clearly. 

McCarthy took a top 5 QB of all time and only won 1 SB...honestly his offence these days is so out-dated and easy to stop that he would waste the explosive talent (potential) Cleveland has...If I were a Browns fan I would rather have current OC Freddie Kitchens than McCarthy because at least I know he gets Mayfield.

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

McCarthy took a top 5 QB of all time and only won 1 SB...honestly his offence these days is so out-dated and easy to stop that he would waste the explosive talent (potential) Cleveland has...If I were a Browns fan I would rather have current OC Freddie Kitchens than McCarthy because at least I know he gets Mayfield.

I agree. But those rumors...

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Helfrich isn't ready yet.  His hiring would be premature.  He has to have a season or at least half a season calling plays first and real responsibility other than helper.

Nagy will give it to him. He wants to follow in Reids footsteps and pay training forward, but H has to pay dues first like Nagy did.

Fangio would be a huge loss, but I would never hire a defensive head coach in today's NFL.  I might pay them like one. 

If your offense stands out your OC is gone to next open HC job. If it doesn't well that isn't good either. It takes at least 3 years to have offensive continuity and a QB that can just play in it without thinking too much. You'll never get that with a defensive HC. 

It takes like 5 minutes to teach a blitz or an assignment. Takes 10k reps to master just one passing concept against every look.

You see the difference? Not that coaching D is easy.  There are a million nuances, higher level mind games and recogition of keys. But just learning a defensive scheme is way, way easier from a player stand point.

We are on the same page here.

I think if Helfrich got a HC job it would be in college. Maybe in a few years sure, but Nagy isn't giving up playcalling for a while IMO. Especially when he is still relatively new to it. 

I want Nagy calling the plays though. Finally has a whole season under his belt, why switch it up now? Win a few seasons and get extended, then look for your Reid-like legacy/coaching tree. I just don't see an advantage to him dropping the playcalling. Vic already heads the defense so he doesn't need to butt in there. 

As for Vic, recognize his contributions and pay the man highly, which it seems Pace did. HC owns the offense and the defensive stud DC gets paid a king's ransom to ensure success there. It's a formula that has worked well for LAR, PHI, etc. I don't think it is going to go away soon either. 

As for Gase, I think he was just ok here, he was way more predictable than I had anticipated. Going to MIA he has been better bit far from the genius he has been labelled. Idk. I just think he is a bit overrated, but of course he is very young and can grow a LOT as a HC. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I think Gase would be a really nice fit in Atlanta.

Sounds like Leonard Fournette may become available this offseason. Is he a better fit for Nagy's scheme than Howard?

He's never really flashed in the pros what he had in college. So there's no way to tell. He was never a shifty, speed back, though. 

12 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I think Gase would be a really nice fit in Atlanta.

Sounds like Leonard Fournette may become available this offseason. Is he a better fit for Nagy's scheme than Howard?

Can't stay healthy and doesn't have great hands...pass considering Howard is better.

• Like 2