League 2019 off season

dll2000

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Can't stay healthy and doesn't have great hands...pass considering Howard is better.

Fournette  hasn't lived up to half the hype he had so far, but he will still get a bigger deal than what Howard is being paid. I'll take Howard over him any day.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Fournette  hasn't lived up to half the hype he had so far, but he will still get a bigger deal than what Howard is being paid. I'll take Howard over him any day.

Me too. I really hope we keep Howard. He is showing more and more just how important he is to this offense.

20 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Well now they have....I really don't want to be selfish and wish Vic doesn't get a Head Coaching job. He deserves one more than quite a few people that have been granted a position. I'm going to be rooting for him this offseason to land one. 

Vic loves Chicago and is highly revered by organization, fans and NFL. He has been a DC for 19yrs and seems happy where he is. IMHO he can probably be convinced to stay (give him a nice raise or makable incentives worked into a new deal) .. He'll probably only go downhill from from current elevated status as a HC somewhere and seems selfaware enough to stay put and continue working on winning SBs right where he is at .. while garnering rich love here and respect league wide

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

Vic loves Chicago and is highly revered by organization, fans and NFL. He has been a DC for 19yrs and seems happy where he is. IMHO he can probably be convinced to stay (give him a nice raise or makable incentives worked into a new deal) .. He'll probably only go downhill from from current elevated status as a HC somewhere and seems selfaware enough to stay put and continue working on winning SBs right where he is at .. while garnering rich love here and respect league wide

He's made it clear that he wants to be a HC. He's already one of the highest paid coordinators. 

Looks like every team with opening wants to interview Fangio.  He will likely get a job.

Hope he prioritizes the here and now. NFL should say no interviews until after SB.  

I love Fangio, but I'm not hiring an older defensive coach to be HC. You are just guaranteeing a new coaching search in 5 years and 2-3 OCs during that time.  I want ten year offensive coaches that are willing to change and innovate with times and if they aren't I'm getting next one who will. 

Writers and talking heads are going to start making this same point in unison as soon as they hear someone say else say it they respect and they take idea as their own.  When they are all beating that drum owners are going to listen to it.  Just a matter if they pull trigger on a hire before they hear the drum beat. 

My first interview question to a defensive HC is how are you going to keep OCs here and offensive continuity?  He will say that's your job. Then I will think yeah it is. I better hire an offensive head coach. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 3:28 PM, Heinz D. said:

If Gase goes to Green Bay, I might rage quit the internet...

Why?  He has been a pretty mediocre head coach in Miami. 

I think Gase is a good OC but as a head coach meh..doesn't seem like a very likable guy from what has been coming out of his former players' mouths.  I could see him and Arod butting heads a lot.

• Like 1

If there's any year that Fangio is going to leave to become a HC then this is it.  Other than winning the ultimate prize that is the SB, we have to hope the Bears keep winning so that the chances of this happening become less as teams might not want to wait that long to hire their new HC.

If he does get offered a new position though then I'm pretty confident that the defense will end up being in good hands with a guy like Bowles as his replacement provided that Vic doesn't poach the entire defensive staff from us wherever he goes.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Why?  He has been a pretty mediocre head coach in Miami. 

I think Gase is a good OC but as a head coach meh..doesn't seem like a very likable guy from what has been coming out of his former players' mouths.  I could see him and Arod butting heads a lot.

One decision can sink you, he made two really bad ones. He decided to build talent around Tannehill to start and thought he would have time to find a young qb when he had a ready made team. That got blown up when Tannehill got hurt and then he compounded when he brought in Cutler. Cutler is not a likeable dude and you become associated with that. 

He misgaged long suffering of fan base/owner which shortens timelines.  

When you go into a situation like Miami you should trade up for a rookie QB as soon as you get there.  Then you usually have four years to show progress. Of course it didnt work in AZ, but that is usually how it works if you get there at same time.

If you are already there and on hot seat and they draft a QB then you are usually gone next year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If there's any year that Fangio is going to leave to become a HC then this is it.  Other than winning the ultimate prize that is the SB, we have to hope the Bears keep winning so that the chances of this happening become less as teams might not want to wait that long to hire their new HC.

If he does get offered a new position though then I'm pretty confident that the defense will end up being in good hands with a guy like Bowles as his replacement provided that Vic doesn't poach the entire defensive staff from us wherever he goes.

Fangio is good, but this defense has horses now to be more aggressive.  A Rex Ryan type, not my choice because of his weird personality, would make things very exciting around here. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Fangio is good, but this defense has horses now to be more aggressive.  A Rex Ryan type, not my choice because of his weird personality, would make things very exciting around here. 

Yep. This is where I was leaning towards Pettine if Fangio went to GB. Forcing mismatches and using your blitzers to go all over the line should help wreak havoc. Now I am looking for Bowles (I prefer him over anyone else by a wide margin) to be Vic's replacement and be that aggressor. With Hicks and Goldman you have two brick walls against their OL, allowing you a ton of flexibility with what to do with the other DL and LBs. Mack can be put in a lot more favorable match ups and be harder to account for, then add in Smith and Floyd's crazy quick area burst and they can add up for numerous sacks as well.

My other question is who does Fangio poach if he leaves? Pace does not have to permit anyone to leave unless they are going for a HC gig or obviously if their contract expires. Even if Donatell was offered the DC position under Fangio, if he is under contract Pace can block the move. The Eagles did it with Flip when the Jets wanted him to be their OC. Does Pace just say no and lock him down (what I would do) or let him move on because he likes and wants to help Vic? Or is his contract up? Hell maybe Bowles has other guys he wants to come in, but given how stellar the play has been I'd imagine there wouldn't be a ton of turnover needed in the positional coaching ranks.

21 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yep. This is where I was leaning towards Pettine if Fangio went to GB. Forcing mismatches and using your blitzers to go all over the line should help wreak havoc. Now I am looking for Bowles (I prefer him over anyone else by a wide margin) to be Vic's replacement and be that aggressor. With Hicks and Goldman you have two brick walls against their OL, allowing you a ton of flexibility with what to do with the other DL and LBs. Mack can be put in a lot more favorable match ups and be harder to account for, then add in Smith and Floyd's crazy quick area burst and they can add up for numerous sacks as well.

My other question is who does Fangio poach if he leaves? Pace does not have to permit anyone to leave unless they are going for a HC gig or obviously if their contract expires. Even if Donatell was offered the DC position under Fangio, if he is under contract Pace can block the move. The Eagles did it with Flip when the Jets wanted him to be their OC. Does Pace just say no and lock him down (what I would do) or let him move on because he likes and wants to help Vic? Or is his contract up? Hell maybe Bowles has other guys he wants to come in, but given how stellar the play has been I'd imagine there wouldn't be a ton of turnover needed in the positional coaching ranks.

With Flip getting the minny oc job I'd say that proves that was his decision not the Eagles.  He didnt want that Jets job.  He knew it wasn't a good situation.  It's also interesting that he has been unemployed for a month and Philly still hasnt brought him back in

18 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

With Flip getting the minny oc job I'd say that proves that was his decision not the Eagles.  He didnt want that Jets job.  He knew it wasn't a good situation. 

False. All of it.

His contract expired so PHI had no say when he took the job in MIN.  They blocked his move for the Jets and it was well known that they did.