#1 pick - who do the Cardinals draft?

jetjuice

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Cant imagine the odds of him going #1 are THAT bad since the obvious #1 pick is usually a QB but they just drafted theirs

Nick Bosa / Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams will help with the odds possibly even Haskins (due only to QB's usually going #1 overall and a potential trade up) the bets are slots/players not based on teams. I could definitely see the odds being that good EARLY in the process. Hell Baker Mayfield was +3600 to start the bets off at one point.

9 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Drafting Jonah at #1 is one thing, but drafting Little at #1 is a fireable offense.

I'm not saying I disagree with this at all ... I'm merely throwing names out there that the Cardinals could draft #1 O/A. Let's be real they've been horrible drafting lately. That Front Office needed to be replaced more then Wilks did.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, Swift21 said:

Exactly who I expect us to target with Mayhew under Lynch. He had a shoulder injury that affected his season but its nothing he can't bounce back from next season.

FYI Ansah's shoulder issue is chronic. It wasn't a one-time injury this season, it is something he has injured and reinjured multiple times over multiple seasons despite multiple surgeries and long rehab processes to try to correct the issue. He also suffers ankle injuries fairly frequently as well and has suffered from lots of soft tissue injuries in his time with the Lions. He's an elite talent but he's made of glass. 

5 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

FYI Ansah's shoulder issue is chronic. It wasn't a one-time injury this season, it is something he has injured and reinjured multiple times over multiple seasons despite multiple surgeries and long rehab processes to try to correct the issue. He also suffers ankle injuries fairly frequently as well and has suffered from lots of soft tissue injuries in his time with the Lions. He's an elite talent but he's made of glass. 

Thank you. I have been arguing this against other 49er fans over the last one year + that this not going to get better for him. I Don't mind giving him a reasonable 1 year prove it deal, but anything more than that, I'm out. 

Really not much of a debate here if they stay at the top spot. This draft's best players are attacking defensive lineman. Grab the best one you can work with. There are seven rounds to the draft and free agency for a reason. Many different ways to attack the offensive problems they have. Look at how the Chargers, Patriots and Rams have built their offensive line groups. Probably what the Cardinals will have to/try to replicate going into next year. Even if they trade down they don't have to force the OL situation. This IOL group has good depth and some of them could play RT despite the "ideally a guard" label. 

Keim and Kingsbury have already said they want to go back to an aggressive 3-4 base defense. Hiring Vance Joseph as DC confirms this.

I agree with the consensus that Bosa is the safest player in the whole draft, and I think people even underestimate his ceiling.

But can Bosa play 3-4 OLB? Josh Allen, who is a tier below Bosa imo, is a much more natural 3-4 OLB fit. Quinnen can probably play any position along a 3-4 DL and win the battle.

Imo Bosa is too much of a surefire prospect to be passed over, even with other great prospects available who fit their scheme better. Getting to the QB and creating havoc consistently works in any scheme.

But I still think this whole positional discussion could become much bigger as we move closer towards the draft than people realize now. If they have legit questions about Bosa fitting their style, then trading down, getting more draft picks and picking a better scheme fit is a viable route. The question is whether their trade partner goes for Haskins or Bosa. Because if the Cardinals trade down and Haskins goes 1st overall, Bosa is a 49er and will hunt Rosen for years to come. If I had to bet I think that's the ultimate reason the Cards will stay put at #1. While it would make sense, I don't see the Cardinals trading with the 49ers. The Raiders remain a dark horse to trade up for Bosa. But after this, I don't think anybody is willing to sacrifice their future for a non-QB.

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

Keim and Kingsbury have already said they want to go back to an aggressive 3-4 base defense. Hiring Vance Joseph as DC confirms this.

I agree with the consensus that Bosa is the safest player in the whole draft, and I think people even underestimate his ceiling.

But can Bosa play 3-4 OLB? Josh Allen, who is a tier below Bosa imo, is a much more natural 3-4 OLB fit. Quinnen can probably play any position along a 3-4 DL and win the battle.

Imo Bosa is too much of a surefire prospect to be passed over, even with other great prospects available who fit their scheme better. Getting to the QB and creating havoc consistently works in any scheme.

Hmmm...did not think of the D switch with the Vance hire. That could put Bosa right in the 9ers sights if Zona stays at 1. Allen would be a better fit for them in that case...huh.

Didn’t Joey have much better lateral/agility numbers than expected?  If Nick does too I don’t see why the switch back to 3-4 should limit them to Allen.  

For some reason, Joey Bosa’s Combine is thought of with a negative connotation, I guess because he didn’t run a great 40? At 269 pounds, Bosa’s 1.68 10-yard certainly wasn’t anything to get excited about, but his 6.89 3-cone was one of the more amazing results we’ve seen at the Combine for an edge defender, especially considering Bosa’s size.

If I had to guess, I’d say Nick will be right in the middle of this pack. I don’t think he’s quite on Garrett/Mack level as an athlete, but I think he’ll have better agilities than Clowney and a better 10-yard than Joey, although he’s not touching Clowney’s 40, or 10 probably. Nobody is.

6 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Didn’t Joey have much better lateral/agility numbers than expected?  If Nick does too I don’t see why the switch back to 3-4 should limit them to Allen.  

I think Bosa could handle a 3-4 OLB role, but I don't think that you are putting him in the best position to succeed at that spot either. I don't think it takes you out of Bosa, but it is another thing where you could see some justification for not taking Bosa at #1 percolating below the surface. 

The thing I will always remember about Joey's combine is how one of the networks, I think NFL, tried to justify how great his combine was by comparing it to JJ Watts (a lot of very similar numbers) without acknowledging the fact that Watt did it at 20 pounds heavier lol. 

Ultimately I think the Cardinals can't pass up the opportunity to field the potentially best edge rushing duo in the NFL. Regardless of scheme, if you can get pressure on the QB with just 4 rushers consistently, you are in a great position to win games. Having Nick Bosa opposite Chandler Jones will guarantee just that.

11 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Is Chandler Jones a guy that you would think could be a 3-4 OLBer? He was awesome in both. Is it actually that big of a difference?

Considering teams are in a nickel package probably on 50%+ of the snaps, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal though it still wouldn't be my favorite way to utilize him. I think there will be some weakness in the base downs on passing plays if you're dropping either into coverage, which will be a responsibility that they have in that role. The 49ers run a lot of 21 personnel for example, which may keep you in that base formation a lot more than you'd be in against a team like the Rams, who run a considerable amount of 11 personnel. I wouldn't want Bosa or Jones trying to cover Kittle out of a 3-4. But that's a very specific example, obviously. You don't draft for a singular matchup. It does give the team just a very small excuse for justifying going in another direction from Bosa if that is what they wanted to do. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Considering teams are in a nickel package probably on 50%+ of the snaps, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal though it still wouldn't be my favorite way to utilize him. I think there will be some weakness in the base downs on passing plays if you're dropping either into coverage, which will be a responsibility that they have in that role. The 49ers run a lot of 21 personnel for example, which may keep you in that base formation a lot more than you'd be in against a team like the Rams, who run a considerable amount of 11 personnel. I wouldn't want Bosa or Jones trying to cover Kittle out of a 3-4. But that's a very specific example, obviously. You don't draft for a singular matchup. It does give the team just a very small excuse for justifying going in another direction from Bosa if that is what they wanted to do

It's what I want them to do! ;)

Here's a hypothetical to consider: If Trevor Lawrence could enter the draft as a freshman for this upcoming draft, would he go #1 overall? Even after drafting Rosen last year, would the Cardinals double down at QB? Or would some other QB needy team undoubtedly trade up? Exactly how good is this kid?

Archived