#1 pick - who do the Cardinals draft?

jetjuice

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Considering teams are in a nickel package probably on 50%+ of the snaps, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal though it still wouldn't be my favorite way to utilize him. I think there will be some weakness in the base downs on passing plays if you're dropping either into coverage, which will be a responsibility that they have in that role. The 49ers run a lot of 21 personnel for example, which may keep you in that base formation a lot more than you'd be in against a team like the Rams, who run a considerable amount of 11 personnel. I wouldn't want Bosa or Jones trying to cover Kittle out of a 3-4. But that's a very specific example, obviously. You don't draft for a singular matchup. It does give the team just a very small excuse for justifying going in another direction from Bosa if that is what they wanted to do. 

Well you put a big safety on Kittle not a LB. Any LB is a mismatch. Maybe like 5 in the league who could keep up, probably less.

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Well you put a big safety on Kittle not a LB. Any LB is a mismatch. Maybe like 5 in the league who could keep up, probably less.

This is accurate. Kittle also struggled the most this year (well, you know, his version of struggling) when matched up on safeties  

On 15.1.2019 at 5:49 AM, 11sanchez11 said:

Is Chandler Jones a guy that you would think could be a 3-4 OLBer? He was awesome in both. Is it actually that big of a difference?

Chandler Jones looked like a legit top 3 defender in Bettcher's scheme as 3-4 OLB, only rivaled by Watt and Donald. He was still dominant in Wilks' 4-3 scheme, but could often be doubled as the scheme was very predictable. His sacks went from 17 to 13 but this doesn't tell the whole story. As a 3-4 OLB he was in the backfield much more often piling up TFL.

No matter how you put it, having Bosa opposite Chandler Jones would be a deadly edge duo. Golden and Mayowa are solid high motor pass rusher. Not overly talented, but able to beat RTs one vs one with effort. Put Bosa in their role and you won't be able to stop the Cardinals pass rush.

I can't see any way to justify passing on Bosa unless the medical checks come back really poorly.

They will have options, but the trade market is relatively weak with regards to QB's unless someone gets really desperate.

My Ideal situation would be trading back to #3/4 picking up a couple of high picks in the process and taking Quinnen Williams.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, ClutchDJ said:

Do the Cardinals really need “a lot” of needs or did Wilks made that roster look worse than it actually is?

Distinct possibility.

For instance, Markus Golden is a really good player when healthy. 

You wouldn't pass on either Bosa or Allen specifically because of Golden, especially since he's in a contract year, but I think it ought to be a factor. If it's a close grade between the edge and interior guy like Quinnen, could persuade me if I liked what I saw in 17' Golden.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, Forge said:

This is accurate. Kittle also struggled the most this year (well, you know, his version of struggling) when matched up on safeties  

Yeah but have you seen those safeties try and tackle him? 

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

Distinct possibility.

For instance, Markus Golden is a really good player when healthy. 

You wouldn't pass on either Bosa or Allen specifically because of Golden, especially since he's in a contract year, but I think it ought to be a factor. If it's a close grade between the edge and interior guy like Quinnen, could persuade me if I liked what I saw in 17' Golden.

I'm not sure I'd call Golden a "Really Good Player" I'd call him an effort player; He isn't the kind of guy who is going to beat a tackle off the edge and hit the QB inside 2/2.5 seconds. he is a guy who will clean up player, make plays with effort and benefit from other players around him creating Havoc.

AZ need to be careful of creating two guys off the edge, but not having any interior push.

Gotta trade down if you can. Minor trade down, that is. I don't think Bosa is that much better than the other top 10 DL. Yeah he's great, but if you can get more draft picks and come away with a future 1st, a pair of 2nd rounders, and DE Clellin Ferrell or DT Ed Oliver, you're going to be better off than simply adding Nick Bosa in my opinion.

I'm still of the belief that Oliver is better than Bosa. I know, roast away.

35 minutes ago, khodder said:

I'm not sure I'd call Golden a "Really Good Player" I'd call him an effort player; He isn't the kind of guy who is going to beat a tackle off the edge and hit the QB inside 2/2.5 seconds. he is a guy who will clean up player, make plays with effort and benefit from other players around him creating Havoc.

AZ need to be careful of creating two guys off the edge, but not having any interior push.

Meh. He was really good in 2016 and had no problem coming off the edge quickly. Injuries and scheme have held him up imo. But basically I agree.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Gotta trade down if you can. Minor trade down, that is. I don't think Bosa is that much better than the other top 10 DL. Yeah he's great, but if you can get more draft picks and come away with a future 1st, a pair of 2nd rounders, and DE Clellin Ferrell or DT Ed Oliver, you're going to be better off than simply adding Nick Bosa in my opinion.

I'm still of the belief that Oliver is better than Bosa. I know, roast away.

People equate bad teams with needing as many picks as possible.  If Oliver and Bosa are close to sure things (as you suggest) then just take them #1.  That’s making a bad team better.

Now if Miami wants to put Tunsil on the table I think you could justify moving down to the middle 1st.  But would they?  It would seem to defeat the purpose they’re moving up for a QB.

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

People equate bad teams with needing as many picks as possible.  If Oliver and Bosa are close to sure things (as you suggest) then just take them #1.  That’s making a bad team better.

Now if Miami wants to put Tunsil on the table I think you could justify moving down to the middle 1st.  But would they?  It would seem to defeat the purpose they’re moving up for a QB.

The thought of Keim moving down frightens me. 

2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

This might be true on some occasions as far as teams picking at 1 not being full of holes but that rule applies here with Arizona. Outside of C where Mason Cole has entrenched himself that whole OL could be upgraded and should be, if Fitzy calls it quits or plays elsewhere a couple WRs are needed there hell even if he stays, TEs need someone who can make a play, IDL doesn’t have any difference makers, LBs are mediocre at best, a safety to play with Baker is needed and Patrick Peterson is yet another year older, 29 next season, without a respectable corner opposite of him. 

4 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

This might be true on some occasions as far as teams picking at 1 not being full of holes but that rule applies here with Arizona. Outside of C where Mason Cole has entrenched himself that whole OL could be upgraded and should be, if Fitzy calls it quits or plays elsewhere a couple WRs are needed there hell even if he stays, TEs need someone who can make a play, IDL doesn’t have any difference makers, LBs are mediocre at best, a safety to play with Baker is needed and Patrick Peterson is yet another year older, 29 next season, without a respectable corner opposite of him. 

Intriguing point here - DJ Swearinger was picked up off waivers late in the year and had been playing another very good season. Baker though is an interesting piece he plays a LOT in the slot defensively, partially because it allows him to do what he does best close to the LOS and partially because we have no good corners outside PP.

4 hours ago, khodder said:

Intriguing point here - DJ Swearinger was picked up off waivers late in the year and had been playing another very good season. Baker though is an interesting piece he plays a LOT in the slot defensively, partially because it allows him to do what he does best close to the LOS and partially because we have no good corners outside PP.

I have noticed how often he plays in the slot, why I kind of left that off the list although he plays it well I didn’t know if that was out of need or best fit: So maybe a safety next to Swearinger while Baker stays in the slot/third safety role? How much rope is Swearinger given on this team too?

Archived