2019 Free Agent Safeties

MacReady

LaMarcus Joyner (Rams) - 28.  Rams have the funds to re-sign him probably.

Earl Thomas (Seahawks) - 30.  Has expressed serious interest in going to the Cowboys.  Two major leg injuries in consecutive seasons. 

Tyrann Mathieu (Texans) - 27.  Seems to love it in Houston, is from the Houston area, probably isn't leaving. 

HaHa Clinton-Dix (Redskins) - 26.  Haha. 

Landon Collins (Giants) - 25.  The crown jewel of safeties in this class.  Giants will probably re-sign him. 

This is where the value will be best I think:

Adrian Phillips (Chargers) - 27.  Dark Horse candidate for a solid signing. 

Tre Boston (Cardinals) - 27.  Another Dark Horse candidate. 

That's pretty much it as far as legitimate upgrades at the safety position. 

When you look at this, you have to realistically assume that Thomas is not signing with us and that every other premier option is going to re-sign.  That leaves you with Adrian Phillips or Tre Boston. 

Landon Collins...... GIMME GIMME GIMME!

He is my favorite on the list followed closely by ET and Honey badger.  Pipe dreams for sure, but it would be nice for the Packers to finally replace Collins. ET or Honey Badger could fill that role very well. ET is destined for Dallas I think, with he 49ers being a darkhorse.

No way around it though, this position needs to be upgraded this offseason.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Collins will get tagged.

We need to win a bidding war for Thomas. Cut some more fat from the roster (Crosby, Tramon) and use that to overpay ET for 3 years.

Hopefully Earl would turn out to be what we hoped JG would be

Some great players in Outpost’s list up top.  And as he surmised, it’s a long shot that we’d sign any of these guys.  Top-tier safeties are coveted and will be retained whenever possible - we never would’ve let Nick Collins walk if not for his injury - so it’s fair to assume most of the aforementioned will be retained or signed to huge contracts somewhere.  How much are we willing to pay to finally get the safety position shored up?  I’m willing to go pretty high, honestly.

About Earl - I’m worried about his age and two broken legs.  That being said, the dude is a stud, feared by men, and a leader’s leader.  Just his presence on this team might give it a swagger we haven’t seen in a long time, especially on defense.  Physically he might not be top tier anymore, but I just can’t discount all of his other redeeming qualities.

Earl Thomas. If the only move we made in FA was getting Earl Thomas it'd be a huge win in my mind. As for the injuries, I'm not worried about broken bones, bones heal. I'd be more worried if the injuries were soft tissue related or major ligaments, that's where you worry. 

DAL & SF will be huge threats for Earl no doubt, but I'm hopeful we can put the full court press on him once FA starts.

I want the honey badger but we rarely ever get what i want so we probably won’t get him.

The only time we have gotten the players I wanted were JG (verdict is still out) and Breeland (came later than expected, ended up being a good pickup).

20 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

Earl Thomas. If the only move we made in FA was getting Earl Thomas it'd be a huge win in my mind. As for the injuries, I'm not worried about broken bones, bones heal. I'd be more worried if the injuries were soft tissue related or major ligaments, that's where you worry. 

DAL & SF will be huge threats for Earl no doubt, but I'm hopeful we can put the full court press on him once FA starts.

He has stated that Dallas is where he wants to go.  Dollar says, he signs with Dallas at a cheaper price then what Green Bay offers.

Archived