2019 Free Agent Safeties

MacReady

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

Earl Thomas signing in GB is about as likely as him playing for the Antarctic expansion team. 

True, but we need a safety more than they do, it’s the one place that’s colder than Green Bay, and, though fans have been known to shoot dogs in the past, at least we don’t eat them. 

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

$$$

Can you see us overpaying substantially though? Enough to make it happen?

I haven't watched near like I used to the last couple years, I'm also scared he's not anywhere near as good as he used to be

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Can you see us overpaying substantially though? Enough to make it happen?

I haven't watched near like I used to the last couple years, I'm also scared he's not anywhere near as good as he used to be

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Gute offer him the best contract he sees. It's an obvious position of weakness, and a position more suited to bringing in a vet FA vs a couple rookies. I think Gute sees FA to make up for draft misses (like HHCD), so I'd be absolutely shocked if we didn't sign a vet safety this offseason. 

We have a somewhat insider on staff (Pettine) who worked w/ Seattle last year as well, so should have a guy whose brain Gute can pick on ET.

Then it's just a matter of selling him on GB.

Collins seems like the most likely target. Age and lack of injuries gives him higher upside. But honestly until we know what defense GB will be running and the player types/style the DC prefers... it’s tough to project FAs to GB.

Landing a free agent safety & Edge would really free things up for BPA in the draft.

thats not saying I would let still draft an EDGE or Safety early, but I’d hate to roll TT style into the draft absolutely needing to pick those two spots while also needing upgrades other places. 

Another guy worth looking at is Mike Mitchell - SS, Indy. He has quietly been putting together a solid year, but also, young guys like Quincy Wilson credit him with being a good mentor to them -- some on this team could potentially use that (*cough*JOSHJONES*cough*):

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/11/21/indianapolis-colts-quincy-wilson-mike-mitchell-saved-my-season/2072511002/

Also, it's not hard to imagine going from a city like Indianapolis to Green Bay like it is for most other NFL cities.

11 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

if he were to test the waters though, I would go for him.

Understood and agreed. Although he's not fantastic in coverage, he'd give us both a tried and tested "plug and play" answer at the position and a team leader. Then we can get a shiny object from this years draft class - to pair them up - and consider the position set for awhile.....
Or we can move Jackson there.....
Or....
:)

Given what I think will be more upper draft assets devoted to the OL - killing off this positional need via FA would come in handy.
I just dont think Collins is a likely candidate and dont want to pay Thomas what he'd want. Not at this stage of his career. 

We shall see how it plays out.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:02 PM, Sasquatch said:

About Earl - I’m worried about his age and two broken legs.  That being said, the dude is a stud, feared by men, and a leader’s leader.  Just his presence on this team might give it a swagger we haven’t seen in a long time, especially on defense.  Physically he might not be top tier anymore, but I just can’t discount all of his other redeeming qualities.

Earl Thomas will get paid because he's one of the few FS in the league that allows you to play cover 3.  

But man, I worry about his speed and health in year 2 or 3 of whatever deal he gets.  

I'd like to see Ibrahiem Campbell re-signed as well as Breeland - and move Breeland to FS.  Tony Brown should get a look at FS as well.  He's got the speed and he likes to hit.  

Add a 2nd or 3rd round safety to the mix and I think we're OK there.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:55 PM, incognito_man said:

Collins will get tagged.

We need to win a bidding war for Thomas. Cut some more fat from the roster (Crosby, Tramon) and use that to overpay ET for 3 years.

Yup, he's one of the only true free safeties in the FA class. He isn't 25-year old Earl Thomas, but look at the value Peppers brought to us for the first 2 years of his deal. Thomas is the same type of get. 

I want Thomas WAY more than any of those other guys, including Collins, especially for the next 2 years. 

Archived