Giants to pick #6 in 2019 NFL draft

Acgott

If the Raiders or Bucs dont get Haskins, it will be because the Jags leapfrogged up to the top of the draft to get him. He wont get to us at 6. 

Bottom line is the defense is broken and lacking so much in talent. I trust Bettcher to get it right, but he needs players. Get the best defensive player at 6 and call it done. There is plenty of DL talent in this draft. 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

If the Raiders or Bucs dont get Haskins, it will be because the Jags leapfrogged up to the top of the draft to get him. He wont get to us at 6. 

Bottom line is the defense is broken and lacking so much in talent. I trust Bettcher to get it right, but he needs players. Get the best defensive player at 6 and call it done. There is plenty of DL talent in this draft. 

Agree. If Haskins there at 6 (assuming he declares) you take him. But if not, fine. PLENTY of defensive talent to go for and you can't afford to pass that up with a defense severely lacking in talent. Then next year's QB class is insanely deep - and it works out because Eli is still on contract for another year.

• Like 1

It’s early and I reserve the right to change my mind, but Daniel Jones from Duke has Giants written all over him.  He has the athleticism and mobility to roll out of the pocket and make plays with his legs. We’ve seen Shurmur roll Eli out of the pocket with some success even though he’s not mobile.  Imagine the possibilities with Jones.  He’s considered a first round pick, but he’s going to move up the draft board quickly. 

I'm not going to pretend I'm a scout but I watched some highlights and I'd be okay with Haskins, Lock or Jones at #6.  Haskins and Lock both have prototypical NFL arms.  Jones doesn't have a huge arm, but he has better size and athleticism than the other two. 

In hindsight I don't mind the Giants passing on a quarterback last year because Saquon has been amazing.  But it's time to to draft a quarterback and start grooming him.  I don't mind Keeping Eli going into 2019, but it things go south again we should have our future QB ready to start taking snaps. 

@Gmen QB is the one position where physical talent is fairly low on the priority list. When you look at QBs that are in the GOAT discussion very few of them have special physical talent outside of maybe Aaron Rodgers. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning - none of them are anything special physically. Mayfield also had arguably the best rookie season of all time at the QB position and he's undersized with a good arm at best. I'm not saying it's a BAD thing to be physically gifted, just that it's not the first thing to look at when evaluating QBs. Accuracy, leadership, decision making are all FAR more important. Everything else is icing on the cake.

When I look at Jones, I just don't see a franchise QB. He is innacurate and doesn't make great decisions. 80% of his TDs are to WIDE open receivers.

As far as QBs go in this draft it's gotta be Haskins or bust. This guy is going to be SPECIAL. He reminds me of a young McNair. Great feel for the pocket and knows how to maneuver it while keeping his eyes down field, deadly accurate, poised, effortless throwing motion. This man regularly drops 40-50 yard throws in a BUCKET. He also has the prototypical size and build. I know this is a bold statement, but give him the weapons on this offense and he will toss 40+ TDs regularly. Shurmur could do some special things with his abilities.

If 2020 wasn't so deep, I would say trade the farm for Haskins. But if we can't get him we have a very nice selection next year.

Edited by w4rrior723

@w4rrior723 I think you’re selling Brady and especially Peyton short on arm talent. In his prime Peyton had a howitzer for an arm.  I understand that arm talent and physical ability isn’t the end all be all at quarterback. We’ve seen great arms have mediocre careers (Cutler, Stafford). I think intelligence and work ethic are equally important, and that will be assessed in interviews during the predraft process. But, arm talent still has to there or else you’ll end up with a game manager instead of a franchise quarterback (Keemun, Cousins, Smith, Prescott).  

19 hours ago, Gmen said:

@w4rrior723 I think you’re selling Brady and especially Peyton short on arm talent. In his prime Peyton had a howitzer for an arm.  I understand that arm talent and physical ability isn’t the end all be all at quarterback. We’ve seen great arms have mediocre careers (Cutler, Stafford). I think intelligence and work ethic are equally important, and that will be assessed in interviews during the predraft process. But, arm talent still has to there or else you’ll end up with a game manager instead of a franchise quarterback (Keemun, Cousins, Smith, Prescott).  

Brady and Peyton certainly established themselves as having quality NFL arms with the ability to make all of the throws as they developed their careers. But neither of them were considered to have "special" or "exceptional" arm talent when coming out. As highly rated of a prospect as Peyton was, Ryan Leaf was the one with the freaky tools and arm strength. Peyton was actually criticized for not having enough "velocity" on his throws when coming out. Here's a scouting report:

8ef3e8c2a5914e5339470293b0e9950b_crop_ex

Note:
"maturity and great intangibles"
"great overall field vision" 
"good arm strength, but not a "gun" that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft"
"excellent job getting the most out of his abilities"

This scout even suggests that maybe Peyton has reached his ceiling since he's not uber gifted physically ("will he get any better?").

As for Brady. We all know where he was drafted. He clearly wasn't an elite prospect with any special physical traits, either.

Now, I know you said you're not a scout (and neither am I lol). Just saying your post seemed focused primarily on Jones' physical tools. That's great for a lot of positions. My point is just that it's prob not going to work out for evaluating QBs most of the time. Granted we don't really have much else to go on for most of the QBs at this point. 

I watched the Rose Bowl game with Haskins facing Washingtons elite defence. I have to say Haskins is accurate af. Very impressed by him in the big game. If hes there I don't know that Gettleman is going to be able to not take him. I think this kid has the tools to do some serious damage in the NFL. If Jax leapfrogs us to take him.. and I could see Tom Coughlin doing that.. then we are going BPA on either oline or dline. More than likely dline, absolutely love Ed Oliver out of Houston, that kid has All Pro written all over him

Edited by Giants4eva

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

I watched the Rose Bowl game with Haskins facing Washingtons elite defence. I have to say Haskins is accurate af. Very impressed by in the big game. If hes there I don't know that Gettleman is going to be able to not take him. I think this kid has the tools to do some serious damage in the NFL. If Jax leapfrogs us to take him.. and I could see Tom Coughlin doing that.. then we are going BPA on either oline or dline. More than likely dline, absolutely love Ed Oliver out of Houston, that kid has All Pro written all over him

If the Giants really feel Haskins is a stud and their franchise guy, they should do what the Rams, Redskins, Eagles, Jets did in recent years and move up to #1 in the draft.  And if recent history is any indication, it should happen well before the draft.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:04 PM, Gmen said:

If the Giants really feel Haskins is a stud and their franchise guy, they should do what the Rams, Redskins, Eagles, Jets did in recent years and move up to #1 in the draft.  And if recent history is any indication, it should happen well before the draft.

What sucks is that it has to be to 1. 2 won't cut it, as Jax is looking for a QB as well. Good news is ARI should be looking to move back and we can put a sweet offer out there for them. They move back 5 spots, but we guarantee taking a QB, which they don't want, so they still get a top 5 player on their board. 2019 1st, 2019 and 2020 2nd may get it done. 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:55 AM, Gmen said:

It’s early and I reserve the right to change my mind, but Daniel Jones from Duke has Giants written all over him.  He has the athleticism and mobility to roll out of the pocket and make plays with his legs. We’ve seen Shurmur roll Eli out of the pocket with some success even though he’s not mobile.  Imagine the possibilities with Jones.  He’s considered a first round pick, but he’s going to move up the draft board quickly. 

Its very plausible. I wouldnt be surprised if its Jones either considering his coach is the same one whom trained both Eli and Peyton. But i think this only comes into play if Haskins is taken from us. I just dont see either Jacksonville or Denver wanting to sit still to have Haskins land with them. And Tampa Bay even is sketchy. Jameis Winston has been extremely disappointing for the Buccaneers.