Giants to pick #6 in 2019 NFL draft

Acgott

When I watch Haskins, I see a Steve McNair incarnate. Air McNair was one of my favorite QBs his gen, so naturally it gets me pretty excited. It's also dope that Haskins grew up as a Giants fan in Jersey. He hasnt been shy about the Giants being his dream landing spot. That's gotta intrigue the FO.

19 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Bruce Arians seems to have committed to Jameis. So barring a trade up Haskins could very well be there for us without having to trade

Definitely need to trade up to select a QB. Can’t take a risk of someone leapfrogging us if they think he’s our QBOTF.

Also something to keep in mind

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve heard Haskins compared to Ben Roethlisberger. Thought that was interesting 🤔 

The guys I’d like to see in the first round are: Haskins, Ed Oliver, or Jonah Williams. I don’t know as much about Clelin Ferrell. I know Oliver is kind of a diva so that worries me a little bit, but I think he can flat out play. Pressure up the middle seems to be the way to bother the QB these days. 

In the second round I’d like to see one of the following: Taylor Rapp, Chris Lindstrom, Zach Allen, or David Edwards. 

The four big sore spots for the Giants (at least as far as I can tell) are QB (obviously), Edge Rusher, OT (specifically RT, although another big molly at RG wouldn’t be frowned at either), and FS (Curtis Riley is the worst safety I’ve ever seen. And we’ve seen some bad safeties in recent years). 

QB and edge rusher are the two hardest to solve. I suspect that Jacksonville is going to make a big push for Nick Foles because their team is built to win now (while guys like Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack and Yannick Ngakoue and Leonard Fournette are on their rookie deals) and Marrone and Coughlin need to win in a big way to keep their jobs. Plus Foles could be a panacea for that immature locker room. Foles and an instant impact player at 7 could make Jax dangerous again. I’m definitely leery of Denver at 10 and Miami at 13 sniffing around for QBs, although I think the Fish might tear it down this year, build their lines, and play for the 2020 QB market. 

I think you could find a good enough safety (Tyrann Mathieu anyone? Bettcher coached him in AZ) and possibly even a RT (Daryl Williams?) in free agency. I think the money for the edge rushers is about to get stupid, but the Giants could potentially get a B level guy like Preston Smith to help there while the market explodes for Dee Ford, DeMarcus Lawrence, and of course Jadeveon Clowney (the Colts should try to sign Clowney 😶) 

I think it’s somewhat realistic to fill two of the big four holes in FA, and two in the first two rounds of the draft. Maybe: 

- Eli takes a reasonable paycut like Peyton did late in his career. 

QB: Haskins (6th overall pick. Eli is a great mentor and maybe he sits out half the year to get ready and then takes over ) 

RT: Daryl Williams (FA, the Gettleman connection) 

FS: Taylor Rapp (2nd round, love this kid he’s my man crush in this draft. I think he’ll have an Eric Weddle-esque career. And I’m tired of awful safety play) 

Edge: Preston Smith (FA. Not a top end guy but I don’t think we can afford the top end guys) 

Then for the rest of the draft fill out the guts of the roster: another interior offensive lineman, another corner, another edge project, another interior linebacker, etc. Gettleman isn’t perfect but he drafted pretty darn well this past year. 

I also think the Giants should at least consider flipping OBJ if they get a good price (Could be a win-win for both for the right package. The 9ers specifically intrigue me as a destination) 

Bottom line is the Giants just need more good, young players (doi 😂) and I think the best way to do that is to hold onto all their picks and take as many shots in the draft as they can. I really don’t think the Giants can afford to package their picks and trade up when the roster is still in pretty rough shape (especially that high second rounder. That’s a potential instant starter for a few years). 

On 1/19/2019 at 4:41 PM, NYGiantsman10 said:

Oh and I also like Dremont Jones as a target with that second rounder. Basically any way to improve the pass rush 😂

Dremont can ball out. He's a very underrated DT in this draft. He blew up some plays in the Rose Bowl matchup against Washington.

58 minutes ago, Danger said:

If I'm being honest, I think y'all are best off signing Tannehill. I don't expect much out of any QB in this draft. 

I agree, if he is cheap. Relieving Eli of his duties, signing a cheap veteran, and take a gamble in the middle rounds.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

I agree, if he is cheap. Relieving Eli of his duties, signing a cheap veteran, and take a gamble in the middle rounds.

Best veteran on the market if you ask me. And he never had half the supporting cast that the Giants have now. Just invest heavily into the offensive line again through FA and the draft. Sign Tannehill. You guys will be a good team.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Best veteran on the market if you ask me. And he never had half the supporting cast that the Giants have now. Just invest heavily into the offensive line again through FA and the draft. Sign Tannehill. You guys will be a good team.

He isn't a FA yet, but theres a good chance he will be. If we can get him for 1 year and $10M or less then its a good move. Anything more then that and it neglects the impact of cutting Eli.

31 minutes ago, Acgott said:

He isn't a FA yet, but theres a good chance he will be. If we can get him for 1 year and $10M or less then its a good move. Anything more then that and it neglects the impact of cutting Eli.

That's unlikely. Sign him to a two year deal worth $25-30 Million. That's more plausible. You don't draft a QB this year, instead draft one next year.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

That's unlikely. Sign him to a two year deal worth $25-30 Million. That's more plausible. You don't draft a QB this year, instead draft one next year.

Eli isn't the problem. His cap hit compared to his play is. The improvement from Eli to Tannehill is small. Maybe we can get to 7-9 to 8-8 on Tannehill. We need to use the QB's cap hit to improve the team. 

No matter what they do, they should still use another pick on a QB. Need to make it a competition.