Giants to pick #6 in 2019 NFL draft

Acgott

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Who would you get to replace him?  

While I could see the team drafting another one after using a 3rd and 4th round pick on qb's in recent past, but do you think starting a rookie week one is the right move?

Perhaps target one of the many veteran qb's that will be looking for a home.

I don't know I'll let you guys figure that out after this first mock is over, if you care to help out with this first one, just know that Eli will be on the roster for at least this year.

I'll sign Vinny Testaverde over Eli right now. Someone cheap anyone. Anyone. As @Kip Smithers has said. We are at the "average" of 6-10-9-7 range. While he uses it to keep Eli, I use it to remove him. Keeping Eli keeps us in the same rut we been in for the majority of years since our last superbowl. #Playfor2020

21 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I'll sign Vinny Testaverde over Eli right now. Someone cheap anyone. Anyone. As @Kip Smithers has said. We are at the "average" of 6-10-9-7 range. While he uses it to keep Eli, I use it to remove him. Keeping Eli keeps us in the same rut we been in for the majority of years since our last superbowl. #Playfor2020

yeah, I can't blame this on Eli, but each their own.

38 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

yeah, I can't blame this on Eli, but each their own.

I'm not blaming Eli, but his cap money could be used to help the team. We aren't going to contend with him taking up all a huge part of our cap. His play does not raise the team and we don't have time to rebuild around him. Instead of slowly ripping a bandaid, we need to tear it off and go in for the life changing surgery. We feel terrible for a little bit, but it will help us in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I'm not blaming Eli, but his cap money could be used to help the team. We aren't going to contend with him taking up all a huge part of our cap. His play does not raise the team and we don't have time to rebuild around him. Instead of slowly ripping a bandaid, we need to tear it off and go in for the life changing surgery. We feel terrible for a little bit, but it will help us in the long run.

You know I thought that this new GM was going to give Eli a shot at doing something last season by fixing the offensive line.  I don't think this guy is the answer anymore than you think Eli isn't the answer.  I don't think his decisions to trade several of our defensive players away nor was it a great idea to switch to a 34 defense when so much needed to be invested in the offensive line last year.  He also released a potential quarterback, that I considered a better quarterback than the one they drafted in the 4th round.  Makes me think he's looking for a more mobil quarterback to fit behind this horrible offensive line.  Which I don't know the figures but I know that this league is a passing league and without a pocket passer, you aren't winning too many championships.  I just think that this team is moving in the right direction and it's making it harder to remain a diehard fan.  

Removing Eli now makes no sense to me, let him finish his contract out.  I haven't scouted any draft prospects yet so I can't comment on how good or bad these rookies will be but your first post in this thread suggest this is a weak qb class.  So drafting one with a top pick doesn't sound great to me. 

On another note, who would you or others consider resigning, tender or tagging?

ERFA

Name Pos.
Aldrick Rosas K
Elijhaa Penny RB
Jon Halapio C
Jordan Williams 34OLB
Kristjan Sokoli 34DE

RFA

Name Pos.
Corey Coleman WR
Alex Tanney QB
Antonio Hamilton CB
Spencer Pulley C

UFA

Name Pos.
Kerry Wynn 34DE
Josh Mauro 34DE
Mario Edwards 34DE
John Jenkins 34DE
Connor Barwin 34OLB
Nathan Stupar 43OLB
B.W. Webb CB
Tony Lippett CB
John Greco LG
Zak DeOssie LS
Jonathan Stewart RB
Jamon Brown RG
Curtis Riley S
Landon Collins S
Scott Simonson TE
Russell Shepard WR
Russell Shepard WR
Bennie Fowler WR
Cody Latimer WR

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

You know I thought that this new GM was going to give Eli a shot at doing something last season by fixing the offensive line.  I don't think this guy is the answer anymore than you think Eli isn't the answer.  I don't think his decisions to trade several of our defensive players away nor was it a great idea to switch to a 34 defense when so much needed to be invested in the offensive line last year.  He also released a potential quarterback, that I considered a better quarterback than the one they drafted in the 4th round.  Makes me think he's looking for a more mobil quarterback to fit behind this horrible offensive line.  Which I don't know the figures but I know that this league is a passing league and without a pocket passer, you aren't winning too many championships.  I just think that this team is moving in the right direction and it's making it harder to remain a diehard fan.  

Removing Eli now makes no sense to me, let him finish his contract out.  I haven't scouted any draft prospects yet so I can't comment on how good or bad these rookies will be but your first post in this thread suggest this is a weak qb class.  So drafting one with a top pick doesn't sound great to me. 

You can’t fix garbage overnight on the OL. Every single single position needed to be replaced. Getttleman was never the answer, but I’m fine with trading away our roster, I just wish he did more trades. We are a garbage team. If Webb was good, he would be on a roster.

Let me ask you this. What’s the point of keeping Eli? He no longer elevates the team. He takes a huge amount of cap space. $10M can go a long way to fixing the team. We aren’t winning a super bowl next year, we are just preventing our much needed rebuild. If the QB isn’t our QBOTF at #6 then go defense. Throw out 2019 for a better tomorrow.

Rosas, Halapio, Williams for ERFA

RFA- Coleman- right of first refusal 

UFA- Wynn, Mauro, Edwards, Webb, Greco, Deossie, Brown, Collins, Shepard 1, Shepard 2, Latimer 

14 minutes ago, Acgott said:

You can’t fix garbage overnight on the OL. Every single single position needed to be replaced. Getttleman was never the answer, but I’m fine with trading away our roster, I just wish he did more trades. We are a garbage team. If Webb was good, he would be on a roster.

Let me ask you this. What’s the point of keeping Eli? He no longer elevates the team. He takes a huge amount of cap space. $10M can go a long way to fixing the team. We aren’t winning a super bowl next year, we are just preventing our much needed rebuild. If the QB isn’t our QBOTF at #6 then go defense. Throw out 2019 for a better tomorrow.

Rosas, Halapio, Williams for ERFA

RFA- Coleman- right of first refusal 

UFA- Wynn, Mauro, Edwards, Webb, Greco, Deossie, Brown, Collins, Shepard 1, Shepard 2, Latimer 

Well you could do a lot better than what he's done.  If Gettleman isn't or never was the answer then why was he ever signed to be the general manager.  This is what I'm talking about, the franchise is making some really odd moves.  You saying that we should have done more trades tells me that we'll need to agree to disagree with this "debate".

We're garbage because of the front office.  I'm one more stupid trade or free agent pick up from writing this team off.  

I get that you're upset, I am too, but I can at least put the blame where it belongs, this team sucks but it isn't because of Eli.  Sadly, I think this team has gone so far that the only hope is to completely rebuild an hope that they figure out in 5 to 10 years down the road.    

Eli gives this team the best chance to win now, regardless if the continue to screw up the line or attempt to trade his receiver, which is stupid to even suggest.  They just signed him to an extension, with millions in guarantees.  If you think that's a good idea then we've got nothing else to talk about.  You don't sign a player to an extension only to trade him the following year, only the worst franchises run their team like a madden game.

I'm tired of watching this team continue to make mistakes and this year they made plenty of mistakes and spent a lot of money doing it.  Did you realize that we rank 3rd in dead money this year?  $9,879,730 with Mia and Ari at 1 and 2 with 10.6 and 13.5 million.  

Was trading or releasing these players really worth it?   We signed Patrick Omameh and then released him, costing us several million.  Was Davis Webb realling costing so much that we couldn't get him a roster spot after spending a 3rd round pick on him?  Was Jonathan Stewart really a smart pick up?  After seeing E. Flowers struggle for years on the left and then provided him a roster spot on the right side without any real depth behind him.  

I'm hoping that they don't continue to make these ridiculous mistakes this year in free agency, but this is the new york giants we're talking about.

2019 Dead Cap

These cap figures derive from the trade or release of players from the active roster or practice squad. All count toward the team total.

PLAYER (11)
POS.
BASE SALARY
SIGNING BONUS
ROSTER BONUS
OPTION BONUS
WORKOUT BONUS
RESTRUC. BONUS
MISC.
DEAD CAP
CAP HIT
CAP %
Damon Harrison DT - $3,200,000 - - - - - - $3,200,000 1.64
Patrick Omameh G - $3,000,000 - - - - - - $3,000,000 1.54
Eli Apple CB - $2,304,968 - - - - - - $2,304,968 1.18
Davis Webb QB - $383,210 - - - - - - $383,210 0.20
Connor Barwin OLB - $365,000 - - - - - - $365,000 0.19
Jonathan Stewart RB - - - $250,000 - - - - $250,000 0.13
Darian Thompson FS - $209,284 - - - - - - $209,284 0.11
Avery Moss DE - $127,384 - - - - - - $127,384 0.07
Jerell Adams TE - $35,716 - - - - - - $35,716 0.02
Calvin Munson ILB - $3,334 - - - - - - $3,334 0.00
Josh Banks DT - $834 - - - - - - $834 0.00

59 minutes ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

I'm hoping that the link is just click bait.

We had these rumors floating around this time last year too.  After signing him to an extension costing this team millions of dollars and another 16 million in dead money in 2020.  My personal opinion is that if the franchise were to do this or to even entertain the idea of this I'd fire everyone in the front office self included.  

Edited by ny92mike

@ny92mike  Once we started trading Harrison and Apple, we should have cleaned house then. Blown it all up.

We are garbage because of John Mara and his blind loyalty. 3 HC, 2 GM, 1 QB. It’s time for a new era.

There’s been a ton of garbage moves. I don’t disagree. We are in a rut. We need to make a drastic move. We aren’t winning now. Best case scenario week make it to 8-9 wins and then Eli is gone and we  are back a square one. We need to get out from the average one way or another. Eli isn’t the problem but not the solution. We need to escape the law of average.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

@ny92mike  Once we started trading Harrison and Apple, we should have cleaned house then. Blown it all up.

We are garbage because of John Mara and his blind loyalty. 3 HC, 2 GM, 1 QB. It’s time for a new era.

There’s been a ton of garbage moves. I don’t disagree. We are in a rut. We need to make a drastic move. We aren’t winning now. Best case scenario week make it to 8-9 wins and then Eli is gone and we  are back a square one. We need to get out from the average one way or another. Eli isn’t the problem but not the solution. We need to escape the law of average.

What I'm pissed at is that this team never should have been in this situation.  I thought the front office was better than this, I remember when this team actually won games with a strong line, solid running backs, a clutch qb and sound defensive play and above all a front office that knew what they were doing.  I don't think this GM has made sound decisions with his free agent signings and releasing players.  This team has lost its identity.  I look at this roster and I don't even recognize half the names on it and I'm not taking the time to learn them because they aren't here long enough to care.  

Now that we are here and it seems like all the talk is get rid of Eli but why aren't we pissed that this front office put the team here.  I don't visit this forum much nor do I read many post mainly because I get tired of reading about how we need to get rid of Eli as if that'll fix things and rarely see any comments about the real issues and a front office that has lost their way and seems to be cool with a GM playing madden with this roster.  I used to laugh when Jerry Jones did this wheeling and dealing, trading picks like you'd manage a madden team, because it rarely works out.

This front office seriously has me considering either leaving football altogether or finding a team that has a front office that is heading in the right direction.  I hate this, I never thought it would come to this, but that is how disgusted I am with this franchise right now and I don't see it getting any better any time soon.  I see this team heading into a rebuild that could take us 20+ years before winning another championship....I'm too old for this ****.

@ny92mike All teams go through rough times. We have won 2 SBs in the past 15 years. 90% would love the success the Giants have had. We need a complete  from the GM to the ball boy. The most malleable thing we can work with is Eli. His contract prevents our rebuild. You know how far his $10M can go. We can't be "average" anymore. One way or another we need to get out of this. 

6 minutes ago, Acgott said:

@ny92mike All teams go through rough times. We have won 2 SBs in the past 15 years. 90% would love the success the Giants have had. We need a complete  from the GM to the ball boy. The most malleable thing we can work with is Eli. His contract prevents our rebuild. You know how far his $10M can go. We can't be "average" anymore. One way or another we need to get out of this. 

I understand that teams go through rough patches but we've been in this for at least two years with a future of question marks facing this team, when it all could have been avoided.

So you cut Eli this year, it saves the team 10 million.  Who do you get to QB this year, or the next?  Veterans won't come cheap and a rookie isn't doing much for this unit so why not just keep him on the roster for the last year of his contract, let the man walk out with some dignity.  I know I know it's business, but this franchise has been making really bad business decisions for some time now.  The draft class and the fa listing are pretty weak for quarterback this year, with their best option being Ryan Fitzpatrick but odds are he'd cost just as much as we'd be saving or close enough that it wouldn't be beneficial enough to do imo.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

I understand that teams go through rough patches but we've been in this for at least two years with a future of question marks facing this team, when it all could have been avoided.

So you cut Eli this year, it saves the team 10 million.  Who do you get to QB this year, or the next?  Veterans won't come cheap and a rookie isn't doing much for this unit so why not just keep him on the roster for the last year of his contract, let the man walk out with some dignity.  I know I know it's business, but this franchise has been making really bad business decisions for some time now.  The draft class and the fa listing are pretty weak for quarterback this year, with their best option being Ryan Fitzpatrick but odds are he'd cost just as much as we'd be saving or close enough that it wouldn't be beneficial enough to do imo.

I'm on the bandwagon to skip 2019. Teddy had a 2M cap hit. McCarron 1M. Tyrod Taylor will be cheap. Are they going to be as good as Eli? No. But we can use that extra cap space to help the OL and defense. Have our 2019 rookie complete with Lauletta and the veteran. We will either see a better team or it will place as right in the mix for a top 3 pick and QB as we should have done last year. 

Eli is 38, we are just stalling the inevitable. We are playing for the middle of the pack. A treadmill team.

As my buddy Thor once realized. In order to save Asgard we must destroy Asgard.

14 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I'm on the bandwagon to skip 2019. Teddy had a 2M cap hit. McCarron 1M. Tyrod Taylor will be cheap. Are they going to be as good as Eli? No. But we can use that extra cap space to help the OL and defense. Have our 2019 rookie complete with Lauletta and the veteran. We will either see a better team or it will place as right in the mix for a top 3 pick and QB as we should have done last year. 

Eli is 38, we are just stalling the inevitable. We are playing for the middle of the pack. A treadmill team.

As my buddy Thor once realized. In order to save Asgard we must destroy Asgard.

I can't get onboard with this logic.

If you're skipping the 2019 season, why care if Eli is there or not.  I'm sure this GM will find a way to piss the money away this year so saving 10 million is more like costing us 5 million.  Teddy, McCarron, Taylor will be cheap because they are cheap and drafting a rookie in a weak class to compete with more garbage and if that doesn't work draft another one the next year, jesus christ man this sounds like something the Browns would say.  You're wanting to blow it up and then patch it with trash to save a few dollars this year, when you aren't even invested in this year.  

You can't convince me that what you're suggesting is good for this team or its fans, I'm can't continue this debate sorry man...haha.

9 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I can't get onboard with this logic.

If you're skipping the 2019 season, why care if Eli is there or not.  I'm sure this GM will find a way to piss the money away this year so saving 10 million is more like costing us 5 million.  Teddy, McCarron, Taylor will be cheap because they are cheap and drafting a rookie in a weak class to compete with more garbage and if that doesn't work draft another one the next year, jesus christ man this sounds like something the Browns would say.  You're wanting to blow it up and then patch it with trash to save a few dollars this year, when you aren't even invested in this year.  

You can't convince me that what you're suggesting is good for this team or its fans, I'm can't continue this debate sorry man...haha.

All good. 

The bottom line is our current route has failed miserably. Even if our new FA's pan out or not, we still need to take the chance. The current line of thinking isn't working. So why not try something different? Why not try and find a diamond in the rough. I want to use the money to get good backups and restock our depth. Its not patching it up, its building for the future. Smart low cost moves. We know where Eli has taken us the past 5 years. So lets just try something. If it fails then we will have a whole new era all across the board. 

If you don't think Gettleman can handle it, that's another issue all together and we are screwed no matter what.

I don't care about the fans. Most are idiots. I care about the team and a better tomorrow. When there is a disaster at many locations, then you need to get back to the roots and grow a new era.