Giants to pick #6 in 2019 NFL draft

Acgott

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

You don’t need to know about college. Darnold has already played a season in the NFL, and done nothing to inspire confidence. 57% completions, and as many TD passes as turnovers is bad even for a rookie. If Daniel Jones were to have that kind of rookie season, people would be calling for Gettlemans head. Yet Darnold gets a pass because he was a predraft darling. The fact that some football fans, let alone Giants fans, still think that the Giants made the wrong choice in drafting Saquon is absolutely mind boggling. His peers ranked him the 16th best player in the NFL after one year - ahead of OBJ. Adrian Peterson thinks Saquon will be the best running back ever. And some people still want Sam freaking Darnold? Thank you, but I’ll keep the generational talent in Saquon and take my chances with Jones. Who by all accounts has been having a great camp thus far.

Bolded is 100% true. We put way too much stock in pre-draft projections for players. Ask me in 2 years if Gettleman made the right decisions.

One opinion I still maintain is we didn't get what we should have for Odell. Not nearly enough. Still, if Lawrence, Xman, and Peppers pan out and the offense can still succeed, I'll admit I was wrong.

Anyone doubting the Saquon pick still is dumb.

I don't think anyone is doubting the Saquon pick as being dumb, I think some were hoping for a quarterback.  I personally was hoping for Quentin Nelson and a slight trade down because I viewed the offensive line as a higher priority.

Barkley was an absolute beast last year, his individual stats for a rookie were amazing, but unfortunately the rushing game viewed by team stats and not individual stats, we ranked 24th in total rushing yards and 16th in touchdowns with one of the lowest number of attempts 29th.

We've got about 6 giants fans here and all we seem to do is complain, argue about what the problems are with the team.  

I'm hearing that there was a rift between Odell and Eli.  I personally don't buy it, I can't see a team extending his contract if that were the case.  We all know that receivers especially as talented as Odell carry enormous egos and can be a PR problem but Eli seems to be willing to work with anyone.  This is the same receiver that Eli passed to during camp before Odell was even a Giant.  Releasing or trading the number of talented players like this general manager has done is going to piss off a lot of people to the point that some free agents unless highly overpaid would stir clear on this team in fear that a contract means nothing to this gm.

I think the man can draft but his business tact and the value he puts on a contract makes him a poor manager.  Does that mean we won't win any games, No.  I expect this young talented defense to win some games.  I expect Eli to do his beast with what they give him.  

I just don't believe that this team is ready, perhaps if he hadn't gutted it maybe, but I'm one that believes the switch to a 34 defense was unnecessary and that it set this defense back several years.  We'll see what these 2nd year and rookie class can do.  Offensively, we're one injury away from complete disaster.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

I think the Saquon pick is now not as good now that we are wasting at least a year of his prime contending for anything. You guys say you wanna take the generational talent. We did that with Odell in 2014 and what happened? One playoff appearance to show for it. 

Well, I guess we should stop drafting good players then...

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

Well, I guess we should stop drafting good players then...

Oh right, guess Saquon was the only good rookie in 2018. My bad. 

RB shelf life is considerably short. You want to maximise it as much as possible. Wasting years is something you can’t afford. I like the pick because I thought the combo of him, Odell, Engram and Shepard under competent protection would do damage. Well we lost one huge piece to that...

On 1/26/2019 at 1:56 PM, celestial said:

Haskins or bust.

Ah, then, @celestial, what say you now???

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2848922-preseason-week-1-takeaways-grading-nfls-top-rookies-from-thursdays-games#slide3

Haskins threw two interceptions, including an atrocious pick-six on a wheel route. He sailed a pass into the waiting arms of Greedy Williams, and he finished 8-of-14 for 117 yards.

He did complete a couple of nice deep throws—including his first of the night on an impressive roll-out—but the Redskins offense generated just three points on his six possessions under center.

He appears to have the physical tools, and his receivers weren't providing a lot of help Thursday. There's room for improvement, but this wasn't the type of debut that'll move the 22-year-old to the top of the quarterback depth chart in D.C. 

He'll need a stronger performance next week against the Cincinnati Bengals. 

Grade: D+

Image result for emilia clarke

Edited by bzane
  • Like 1